Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Natural Portrait Photography

• 22-08-2022 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I asked on here previously about getting some 'natural' style photographs taken. One of the respondents told me the name of what this genre of portrait photography was called.

Unfortunately, I can't find the thread any more. So can someone please tell me what this relaxed type of photography is called? Essentially, I want some 'decent' photos of myself that do not look overly posed so that I can put them on a dating profile and a headshot for professional use too.

What should I be looking for or asking the professionals?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

The term may be Candid Portraiture...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Where are you based if you can pm me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've done this for a few clients for that particular purpose. It started off with current business clients that asked me to carry out this particular job, word spread and I've done a few. I end up producing about 12 to 20 shots after a period of time with the client talking about what they want to portray, how they want to look etc... They've all been successful shoots with good portraits resulting in dates, relationships and in some cases weddings. It was a good little spinner for me and very enjoyable.

It's important that the portrait conveys the model as he or she is in their best light and not a misrepresentation.

Basically, you'll need to talk to the photographer, get to know him or her, explain exactly what you don't and what you like in a portrait. Some I've worked with like a work shot, sports or hobby shot (pausing while packing the car for instance). The photographer should spent at least an hour with you (up to three), while you both get comfortable with you.

Local photographers will be cheaper. Locations should be decided by both of you, but if the photographer has a place in mind go for it.

Cost should be from €180 to €300 depending on the distance, and photographers experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - yes that sounds like what I want. I'll need to find someone local who can do this. Got a few names off Google, so I'll pop out a few emails.

Fair play you to. Don't forget, this isn't an unusual or weird activity!! It's perfectly normal to be photographed looking well and happy, payed for or not! I'm Dublin based, I don't think you are, so I'm not touting for business.

If you're apprehensive about approaching a photographer say it's for LinkedIn (that's what most of my clients did) and then after a few shots they asked could I do something a bit less formal and more candid for dating as an aside, and I did with minimum further charges. This should be the case.

Avoid local hobbyists if you can unless you've a relationship with them. There's a chance they'll put your photos on their insta with a watermark or those dreadful signatures that their so fond of. Make sure it's clear you don't want this & it's a professional service you're after and you don't want it on their feeds or popping up social media three years later.

• Advertisement

@John_Rambo - yes thanks that is good advice. I've bookmarked some professional photographers. Don't mind paying as I've got no decent photos of myself. Pretty much all photos have my eyes closed or some or standing awkwardly so if there was some coaching on what suites me then it might be worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ParkerLV

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

You can't practice watching a youtube video!

Just get out there!

@John_Rambo - I'm just getting around to sending out the emails!!!

I've relooked at the term "Candid Portraiture" and I'm not sure that it is quite what I am looking for. My understanding is that these are shots when you are not 'posing'. What I'm after is (and this might not be the right thing to say to a professional photographer) something that doesn't look polished nor professional!

In an ideal world I'd just ask a friend or someone to take some snaps, but that won't work here. What is the term I'm looking for so I can check it out and note it in my emails.

I've looked at the portfolios of these photographers and I'm not sure if the polished style of photograph would work well on a dating profile.

@John_Rambo - bumping this incase you missed it. Thanks.

Or if anyone else can answer the above question.

• Advertisement

I genuinely can't add more to what I've said already. You certainly don't want them polished or looking like the tool guy in the Aldi brochure or the surf girl in the wetsuit catalogue. You're just going to have to verbalise this to the photographer you go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

If you are looking for a portrait for a dating site, or some other specific purpose, then you need to say that. Don't worry about what "genre" the photo needs to fit in. Make it clear what you want to use it for, and give some indication of what you want to portray in the portrait. I think that may get a better response here.

Tell us what you want to achieve, then maybe we can help!

Kind regards

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Something like "Lifestyle" or "Branding" photography would be along the lines you're thinking of. Possibly more common in the US, but not unknown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Maybe you are thinking of documentary or environmental portrait?

I've set up a session with a photographer. Not sure what I'm getting, but I've tried to explain what I want as best I can. Will wait and see what I end up with!

Show the photographer this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mark blake

Get a smart phone and take selfies, no one on a dating site wants to see anything but you, my head is boggled

Advertisement