Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does anyone buy first-party Xbox games? It just makes Game Pass look an even more enticing offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Surely this is pointless. it's just a tax on people who can't wait a couple of months for the price to drop.

I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game. I even got MW2 for 60 one week after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,630 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is this the real Phil Spencer or a fake account?

COD on Switch going forward?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it's real. All part of MSs attempt to get the Activision purchase over the line. Been a huge PR blitz over the last couple of days as the FTC is set to meet about it.

It's actually a very well run campaign, they've got the unions on board supporting the deal, they've helped Bethesda staff vote on going unionised, and now they've committed to bringing COD to switch. All this news in the last 24 hours, all designed to bounce the regulator into approving the deal.

They also sent the same agreement to Valve, but Gabe seemingly didn't sign it, basically saying that the word of Phil Spencer was enough for him, and that MS had enough incentive to keep it on Steam regardless of any deal.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Call of Duty: Legacy Edition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Probably the Mobile edition, or maybe a cloud version.

Or since they're doing remakes with the likes of Modern Warfare 2 they'll just port the original to Switch.

I remember when Wii would get different versions of games than the PS3 and 360, such as Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wouldn't be surprised if Activision do what EA does with Fifa for the Switch, and release one pared down version of the game to start off with, and then a "Legacy Edition" of the game every year which is the exact same game but with any references to the year just updated.

Edit: Didn't see CastorTroy's post above 😁

Post edited by Penn on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus I hope not; those "Cloud" versions of games on Switch are just nasty, as far as I understand; not anywhere near on par with Google Stadia or the market leaders for cloud gaming.

EA have a generally poor history with Nintendo of late so the only way would be up IMO; I wonder if they have been given some hints about future hardware? Seems timely given the increasing clamour for new tech. and one wonders if private meetings gave hints about what a Switch 2 might have under its hood.

I was going to ask if any western companies had released games via cloud for the Switch, then remembered that's how Control and Hitman 3 were released.

But they've released this year's CoD, so assuming this deal starts from next year then would likely only have to publish on Switch for maybe 1 year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Man, the amount of dirty laundry that's going to be aired is going to be legendary

That will drag on a while anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In good videogame news bamco have registered we love katamari reroll which means the even better katamari sequel is getting a rerelease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From the actual complaint.

Didn't know this, but can't help their case on this side of the atlantic.

Microsoft’s past conduct provides a preview of the combined firm’s likely plans if it consummates the Proposed Acquisition, despite any assurances the company may offer regarding its plans. In March 2021, Microsoft acquired ZeniMax Media Inc. (“ZeniMax”), the parent company of the well-known game developer and publisher Bethesda Softworks LLC (“Bethesda”). Microsoft assured the European Commission (“EC”) during its antitrust review of the ZeniMax purchase that Microsoft would not have the incentive to withhold ZeniMax titles from rival consoles. But, shortly after the EC cleared the transaction, Microsoft made public its decision to make several of the newly acquired ZeniMax titles, including Starfield, Redfall, and Elder Scrolls VI, Microsoft exclusives. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only seems to be pretty much public info in the complaint, they've censored anything interesting and likely the suit will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Vampire Survivors out on mobile for free now.

Returnal coming to PC early 2023.

Streetfighter 6 release date announced - June 2nd.

Supergiant reveal Hades II.

• Advertisement

TLOU on PC gets its release date too - 3/3/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hades II best announcement of the night for me. Absolutely loved the first one and thought Supergiant might move on to something new rather than a sequel, so this is terrific news.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It seems to be a bit of a weird one, as the EC hasn't made any mention of this so far themselves, and in their decision granting the Zenimax/Bethesda deal, they noted that MS could change their mind on this.

Everything might be under seal, but the amount of stuff that came out from the Epic/Apple suit was ridiculous, and almost all of that was meant to be under seal as well.

This is a real sentence from a real story; Amazon partners with basketball legend Steph Curry to make a ToeJam & Earl movie.

Just to follow up on this, the EC has now confirmed that MS never made any commitment to keep games on Playstation to them, so it seems that the FTC are really out on their own with this. Huge question marks over the FTC deciding to block this.

I've no real opinion on this acquisition other than "more games on Game Pass for me", but this is fascinating how this is playing out now, almost like a spectator sport.

I watched your man Destin's video on it yesterday. He played a clip from a CNBC interview with Michael Pachter from a few days ago where Pachter dismissed the idea that the FTC would sue MS because they, in particular Khan, were too smart to do so.... the FTC knows they would lose, he said. Now I don't know if he has any fingers in this particular pie. He's an analyst for a privately held investment firm who deal with video game and social media so he could be as biased as Destin! But I've seen a few similar experts say the same thing - the FTC is making a huge mistake, and that was even before that EC revelation @CatInABox mentions. Intriguing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,630 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What I don't understand in all this is that Tencent have been buying companies up left, right and centre for the last few years and I've never heard any mutterings in relation to them? Why the huge circus around this deal? Is it because it involves COD, the most popular FPS?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think regulators have a tough battle stopping this, but I’m glad they’re looking into it. This sort of massive consolidation of power is a worrying trend, and I’m relieved to see at least some pushback to a company simply using their massive financial reserves to get an advantage.

Its not black & white by any stretch. I think there will likely be beneficial aspects if the deal goes through, whether that’s a much-needed change to Activision-Blizzard corporate culture or as mentioned more games on Gamepass. I do think so far Microsoft has done a pretty good job with its new batch of first party studios. But Sony, Microsoft and the likes of Embracer and Tencent have been sucking up studios and ‘IP’ at an alarming rate, leaving fewer and fewer mid-sized independent entities out there. And really I’d rather see more independence instead of the increasing consolidation of power in a narrowing handful of ultra wealthy companies. I for one am glad to see regulators finally stepping in to challenge all this, albeit I’m certainly skeptical about the chance of success. If anything, the EU has a better record of keeping corporate power in check so curious to see where they end up.

• Advertisement

Pachter is often..... high on his own supply.

There's loads of reasons, but scale is the main one, both in terms of money, and in terms of how much of the market is being bought. There's also a desire to stand up to big tech, or at least be seen to. Also, Sony has been campaigning against this non stop, with some frankly hilariously hypocritical takes.

I can see the pros and cons on both sides of this, but it's been pretty clear throughout that regulators were not ready for an acquisition that also featured an all out console fanboy war. The FTC said this was their most submitted upon consultation, and that was a good while back, I'd hazard a guess that they've probably had more submission on this one acquisition than every other acquisition in their history. Imagine having to be the poor intern that has to go through all those submissions and collate them? I actually shudder at the idea of being forced to read the unfiltered thoughts of thousands upon thousands of the purest fan boy gamers.

Advertisement