Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toddler making himself sick?

Options
  • 04-11-2022 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever come across this one?

I've a non verbal 2 and half year old making himself sick. Happens usually when he doesn't like something and occurs probably 5 times a week. Has a disturbing ability to make himself sick and can happen in a matter of seconds!

Very frustrating and unsure how to deal with it, it's probably ongoing a year now but getting worse lately.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If he is non-verbal, I presume this is a way he has found to make a point that he doesn't like something??

I vaguely remember reading something a few years back about toddlers doing that (verbal or non verbal).I think the message was something along the lines of just cleaning them up calmly with no reaction (because that is what they are looking for) and then returning to what had been going on before.I'd have to look again to see can I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cheers yeah it's probably his expression of anger, problem for us is it can be something small that sets him off like going for a bath or having to come in from the garden.

It's so easy to get worked up when it's happening and to me it's completely unnecessary and spending my time cleaning up sick every day but I'll have to try the calm approach to see if that works before screaming into a cushion!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh yeah, change.That is standard in toddlers, transitions are always hard.The slow approach of the ten minute warning, five minute warning help - I'm sure you do that.Making it a race up the stairs to the bath as a bit of a distraction and that.

We all scream into pillows, has to be done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

do you think it might help to make an appointment with an OT. Could be some sensory sensitivity behind it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Whats an OT? I've been following Shestys method and to be honest it's working so far. No sickness for 2 weeks so progress there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Occupational therapist.

something like this webinar might help you get an understanding of managing sensory issues. It’s on tonight

https://www.newboldhope.com/page/271275

Going for a bath or coming in from garden are known as transitions and a lot of children can find them difficult. My own boy used to have a lot of meltdowns at that age as he struggled to communicate especially. Still has them now but much less frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you ever tried sign language with him? It might help him communicate with you and stop doing this

Advertisement