Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Are you not able to figure that out for yourself from met.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Unless the ground is frozen solid we are good to go this week I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

-10c and -11c widely across inland south. The GFS can undercook Irish temperatures by a degree or two into the bargain, so realistically -12c possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Been following with great interest! Have a few things coming up in the next 2 weeks so won't lie would be happier if the snow waited for another while. Bring on the cold. Hoping for some cold, crisp, bright, dry days. Love when the weather is like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will be switching to the HI Res models shortly to see what they are picking up. This si not definite but ICON showing some snow possibility Early Thurs, low temps overnight would possibly leave lying snow into Thurs for a time at least. Might be just a dusting but it is a start.

• Advertisement

Tonight's 18Z GFS picks up an active 20hr streamer off the Irish Sea affecting The Dublin area in particular. Could be alot of snow in the east of Leinster Friday morning if it verifies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models starting to pick up a few features now, will see if this gains any traction.

Convection leading to thundersnow ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Flying out to Spain early on Stephen's day. Be great if it held off till then. Can snow away to bejaysus for a few weeks then.

Looks like a fairly weak and breaking up occluded cold front slowly moving down the country in the early hours of Thurs morning in freezing temperatures bringing the 528dam line down over the country. Could lead to freezing fog, freezing rain and light snowfall accumulations into Thurs morning and a few white hill and mountain tops I would reckon. Icy dangerous roads on Thursday morning in parts. Temperatures very slow to rise and parts struggling to get up to a few degrees.

The openers.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Clondalkin in Dublin here, starting to feel that cooler air for sure this morning. Love that sharpness in the air!

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This little feature on the T+60 Fax looks interesting as the 528 dam sweeps southward, possibly rain to snow (particularly in coastal areas) , its in a fairly reliable timeframe too, hopefully a starter course before the main event.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Still relatively mild out in North Kildare.

Just waiting for the prime time special about the cold snap this week. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Don't worry, the tabloids will have reports on page 1, 3, 4, 7, 9. In-depth analysis on pages 11-15 and a what to do list on pages 19 & 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a glorious winter's day. Class.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,792 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Feckin showery and cold in north Dublin.

Of course we'd never get these streamers if conditions were right for them to fall as snow!

We'll have pictures of the kids out playing in 2mm of snow on Friday and it being melted by 9:45 lol.

I best nip out to the shops and do some panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

What about a glossy pull out mag on fashion tips for colder weather?!! 😱🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

The level of streamer activity since Saturday on the East is taking me back to December 2010. Every model has underestimated the level of precipitation by a long shot, just this time it ain’t snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Low temperature warning has been issued from met eirrean for Thursday night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Noticeable drop in water levels across the country due to the dry cold spell. It will really fall fast when the frost/ice comes to the mountains.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

just got the snow chains on the car today. It’s all kicking off tomorrow. Be prepared, stay safe, slow down 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Best get the outdoor Christmas lights up today so, they've been sitting on the counter looking at me since the weekend 😂 I daren't get excited about the prospect of Christmas lights twinkling in the snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

@Meteorite58 will I be able to get up the hill when I come home from Tralee? 176m asl 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Deeper & pushing a bit more west on this run so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

12Z radiosondes have sampled 850-hPa temperatures to our north 2-3 degrees colder than forecast by the 00Z ECMWF or ICON. The GFS actually is pretty bang on this time. Compare the first chart (measured) to the ECMWF and GFS forecasts. Soundings from Jan Mayen (-16 °C), and Torshavn (-11 °C) are around 2-3 degrees colder than model field.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have been sitting by the gate here, gazing rapt at the clear sharp lines of the mountains over the ocean... fascinating cloud formations... bright sun.... a very special winter day. Birds coming in to feed near the door... We had a planned power cut so outside was best ...Yes more than cold... but the brightness and the beauty offset that. And rare indeed that there are still marigolds and nasturtiums in flower. Whatever comes will come. For now the dry sunny day is very very good.

West Mayo offshore

Still fairly mild. Had the beanie and big jacket on when I went for the walk at lunch. Had to take both off. Nearly sweating.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Just ordered some good ice cleats for walking on, 40 euro or ending up on sick benefi due to a slip... they're were great in 2010 well worth it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement