Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you do your main grocery shop?

• 05-12-2022 7:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m curious about where people are choosing to do their main shops these days, particularly in light of skyrocketing cost. Although I’ve never, ever been a Dunnes shopper, it seems to be like they might currently be the best combination of offers and quality? I’ve tried to include all main stores and some other options but feel free to elaborate on thread.

Where do you do your main grocery shop? 169 votes

Tesco
    18%
    TreePaddy@CIRLdotsmanDayo93horgan_pmacrubiconcr-07zac8woodchucksekondzedheadxhomelezzdiceyreillysporinaNorderburseEircom_Sucksnerispatmaheapacheucsie 31 votes
    Dunnes Stores
    20%
    feylyaStrumms7.Ronaldowiz569famagustapleasant Co.Dick TurnipDeeper BluephormiumElWalrusAtlantic DawnGarzoricojellybeardominatinMCSultan of BlingGIMPduefrineNATLORangel eyes 2012cnoc 35 votes
    Aldi
    26%
    BArra[Deleted User]GLaDOSnervous_twitchthetealthebourkeAmiranistwome01justshaneLuckycharms_74A2LUE42messrsawecHeliumGloomtastic!WhatsGoingOn2WesternZuluboardzCYHSNsaggycaggy 45 votes
    Lidl
    19%
    accensi0nSleepyPrivate Jokersamovictor8600DaisiesShenshenFionnecolm_mcmDave_The_SheepgalwaybabePlanet Xscotchydakarblackboxbrick tamlandTheKBizzleGremlinertiamunsterfan2Bigmac1euro 33 votes
    Supervalu
    6%
    FaithThe Black OilGraces7PadkirIcemancometh[Deleted User]IloverainMLCork2016shestyWTF...Cluedo Monopoly 11 votes
    Marks & Spencer
    0%
    Local/other supermarket
    1%
    PeaSeaTippman24thinkabouit 3 votes
    I shop around depending on various factors
    6%
    Alunmaebeerandomname2005The Hill Billyleahylyogaladybluecherry74Foggy Jewzell12LessOutragePlzNotmything 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Lidl

Lidl the vast majority of the time. But Tesco the odd time too for products you can't get in Lidl, like rinse aid and laundry cleanser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Tesco

Tesco for me, because it's the only shop in locality offering deliveries. I have very little time off, so can't be bothered to waste it on grocery shopping. Definitely could buy somewhere else cheaper, but when I count in driving, time etc. I'm better off sticking with them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Dunnes Stores

I regularly go to all for various different things but use Dunnes for the vouchers while making sure I only buy stuff that is same price as elsewhere. Usually buy my butter now in Dunnes as it's so expensive and I use a lot, picked up 15 lbs yday with 10 off 50 voucher for signing up to online so that averaged 2.66 per lb, lots of baking done today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Aldi

Aldi, but only by a small margin over Lidl. Super Valu when I'm feeling rich and the odd dip into Tesco for certain cleaning products that the generic stuff won't do for.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Aldi

I'm just waiting to see who selects Marks & Spencer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

I shop around depending on various factors

Depends on whose vouchers I have

Was shopping in Dunnes, the 5 and 10 off vouchers were making a difference and Aldi for the few bits Dunnes don't do.

Got a bunch of 10 off 50 from Tesco so using them for now.

Tbh if the vouchers were scrapped then it would probably be the main shop in Aldi and Dunnes/Tesco for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Aldi

Aldi but Tesco for things/brands I prefer, like Chef Ketchup, certain chocolate and Mi wadi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dunnes Stores

Dunnes for the bulk of the regular stuff.

Nolan’s in Clontarf for drinks and certain treats or stuff that Dunnes don’t have. I used to go to Fallon & Byrne for that stuff when I was a more regular city centre visitor but despite being a nice shopping experience and having a really good deli and butchers in particular which I loved you couldn’t ignore the damage it would do to your wallet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Lidl

Has been Lidl for a long time, a tesco has opened nearer to home but has yet to make much impact on our lidl trips. We also go to dunnes depending on deals advertised and try to make use of vouchers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Dunnes Stores

Super Valu thinks its M&S ...very pricey i find....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Supervalu

Supervalu is the only supermarket local to me that you can buy branded products in, so I have been doing my shops there over the last couple of years. I also like the high quality. But prices have gone astronomical there and I'm raging about the changes to the voucher scheme - one voucher for €5 off €35 per week? F*ck off. We have a Lidl nearby that I try and shop more at these days, but Dunnes have also started offering delivery so I've been going there on occasion. I feel like they often have good deals on booze too, much better than Supervalu tend to. The quality of Tesco products has gone to utter shite so I avoid there, and it's no longer a cheaper option either. We've no Aldi locally, which is a shame as it's probably my preferred store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Supervalu

Supervalu as I am house/island bound and they are the only option. NB When I changed to them I was pleasantly surprised as previously they had been much more expensive than the others but that seems to have changed at least on own brand products. Which is what I almost exclusively buy. The difference between own brand and others is very clear. eg cat food.. I email a list in ( they have a detailled and excellent website) and it comes over on the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Don't do a weekly or main shopping trip. We tend to shop daily as necessary. Hence, we never use those money off vouchers as we never spend enough.

I tend to use Lidl more than Tesco and occasionally, Dunne's - rarely Supervalu (Cork City Centre one is rubbish) or Aldi (closest one not particularly near). Also use The English Market a fair bit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Aldi

A mix of Aldi and Dunnes mostly. Aldi probably more regularly now, and Dunnes every so often.

Used to be the other way around. Have a good SuperValu nearby too so do a bit there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Aldi

Aldi, but once a month go to Iceland and the odd shop in dunnes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Lidl

I find their meat and fresh food the best of the shops .

I do a bit in Tesco for branded stuff that we like.

On prices I find little difference between shops, if you want to go cheap then buy own brand or stuff that has a special deal going on the day .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lidl

Super Value is dreadfully expensive for the product - experience on offer, at least with M+S , you are being fleeced with class

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lidl

Lidl for us , best combination of value and quality, Aldi is cheaper but quality and range not as good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Dunnes for me mostly.

The 10 of 50 has me hooked tbh. Then when they send out the value club vouchers I buy clothes for myself as a lil treat!

Aldi is actually closer to us but they don't stock the branded cereal the kids like. Plus I prefer avonmore milk. That said I still pop in for their sweets and spuddy crisps and essentials if I need to "kick the shopping can down the road" .

There's a Tesco walking distance too don't go too often as it's like a scene from the walking dead, but if there's clubcard offers on I will take a wander up.

Lucky I suppose that there's so much choice available to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Lidl

Lidl and Aldi, though Lidl a bit more frequently as they've the better fruit and veg. For things I can't get there, it's either the Polish shop or the Indian shop. Or zooplus, obviously.

I'd go to Tescos maybe every other month for some specific baking ingredients, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was in Supervalue or Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Local/other supermarket

A fairly equal mix for me, veg and fish weekly from the local market, meat weekly from the local butcher and everything else fortnightly from Lidl, plus milk and bread, etc when needed from the local Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Aldi

Check out your local Aldi - they might do click and collect - i know you still have to drive there but you wouldnt have to go in .

I walked through M&S Grocery in Liffey Valley Sunday as it was the only place I could get parking! Lots of people in there picking up food bits!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Over the pandemic, due to queues everywhere else, I ended up using Supervalu mostly as it always had the shortest queues. Its bankrupting to do so, and that's becoming more obvious now - 70 quid for a small trolley of stuff!

I also think the quality of supermarket meat has taken a slump recently, presumably to try keep to some price points.

Making specific efforts to go back to my old setup - loca greengrocer, local butcher, Lidl; and one of the big three for branded products that Lidl doesn't sell. All have got dearer, but when somewhere is dear to begin, the same % increase is more actual cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Lidl

Lidl shopper here, when I first switched from Dunnes to Lidl the price difference was huge, but lately have noticed my shopping has near doubled in price.

I buy my meats separately in a butchers and I go to my local Tesco's nearly daily for fresh bread rolls for lunch's.

I stayed with Lidl due to the app offers, but might try going back to Dunnes again for their voucher scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lena11

Dunnes Stores

We switched from Tesco to Dunnes at the start of the year and even with food inflation our grocery bill is significantly less this year

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭sekond

Tesco

Tesco mostly. I like the scan as you shop option to keep an eye on the running total and also to check that I am actually getting the deals advertised. I occasionally go to Aldi or Lidl but I find they don't always have what I want, so I end up having to go to Tesco anyway. And then the clubcard tokens go towards the Christmas grocery shop. Plus, I don't have to deal with the person in lidl flinging my shopping at me as fast as they can, my shopping is all packed up the way I want it as I shop.

I went through a phase of doing click and collect at Aldi (Tesco click and collect makes you unpack everything, Aldi has them ready in compostable bags so it's much easier), but as I still needed to go to Tesco anyway I don't do it quite so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Dunnes Stores

Dunnes, mainly for the vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Lidl shopper for the bakery and 1kg tubs of yogurt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Aldi

Aldi here in the town even though it's the worst Aldi store in the whole world (I've verified!).

The kids need dairy free yoghurts and a few other bits which we find Sainsburys the best for. Also I've noted in last few weeks they also stock Clonakilty white pudding (and sausages but quite frankly our butchers sausages are exponentially nicer) so I must have a root around to find some other potential gems.

They're opening a Morrisons next year in the town, which I suppose is like a Superquinn and we're looking forward to it. Never going to be a full shop kind of place but nice to have for some quality items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Advertisement