Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you own an EV and work in a STEM type of job sector

• 03-12-2022 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, bit of a random one, but my wife and I were wondering recently if there's a larger proportion of technically minded people who own EVs.

So I thought a quick poll would be interesting to find out.

As a reminder, STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

I'll leave it up to ye to decide if your job is under any of those categories

Or if anyone wants to add their job as a reply to be more specific then go ahead

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Do you own an EV and work in a STEM type of job sector 118 votes

I own an EV/PHEV/Hybrid and I work in a STEM job
    73% 87 votes
    I own an EV/PHEV/Hybrid and I do not work in a STEM job
    18% 22 votes
    I don't work in a STEM job or own an EV/PHEV/Hybrid, I just clicked into this poll for fun
    7% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For context, both engineers in this house and both are EV owners

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Liam2021

Health care manager, stay at home wife and 2 EV owners

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I work in STEM and don’t have an ev, no option for that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Head of Finance and a primary school teacher. Two EV household.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No STEM heads in this house, but 3 EVs and into them for a long time (former petrol head). I do like technology and very keen on renewable energies / battery storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Engineer who works in renewable energy, and a marketer. Single car house which is an EV.

Defo would agree with your hypothesis. For example, I loved planning our summer holiday and "charging strategy". My wife couldn't imagine anything worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Power System Consultant Engineer and EV owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Redfox25

STEM worker here. Wanted an ev for years so took the plunge in September and glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@crisco10 - "I loved planning our summer holiday and "charging strategy"

Shoulda got a Tesla. No need for any planning for charging 😂 The car is wasted on me, I almost never need to publicly fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

I can’t go to Mayo without planning where to charge my Tesla. I’m sure there are plenty of places across Europe that are the same, especially if you book accommodation without overnight charging.

On-topic: the only two EVs in my company are owned by people in IT.

• Advertisement

Yep, the region we were in was the same. Closest SUC in any direction was an hour away. Granted the drive down thru france might have been easier to plan, but ionity and SUC had similar coverage on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Voted stem. However, I was working in a very different field 6 years ago with no stem qualification when I bought 2 EVs a couple of months apart. While tech minded, I just loved the idea of cheap motoring and something new.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Own a BEV but don't work in STEM

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

This is a very interesting poll. I wonder though are results going to be skewed in that those in a STEM role are more likely to click into the thread than those who are not.

True, and it's probably a skewed sample anyway because people who are enthusiastic about the technology of EVs will be more likely to regularly post on this forum, whereas people who regard an EV as just a car without a petrol cap are less likely to be here

Also people who just need a car and don't care much about what they're driving probably gravitate towards the familiar rather than engage in risk taking.

My favourite example of this would be a coworker who's partner had a car from a particular French brand known for their quality (or lack thereof) and the car gave her endless trouble. When it finally gave up the ghost, she went and bought the exact same model of car because it was familiar, rather than considering anything else

From my own experience, a lot of the people I know who own or are interested in owning an EV are either engineers or technology enthusiasts.

It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy however because most of my social circle are engineers or similar job roles anyway (perhaps antisocial circle would be a better description 😂)

As you say it's an interesting result but may not be reflective of the population of EV drivers as a whole

Selection bias is totally an issue here obviously. It's a random Internet board, for people who like talking about EVs. Still an interesting domination in the poll tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

1-2 EV household (currently 1, havent replaced the Ioniq yet, may not replace for some time).

Both employed in tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The poll is missing the option for work in STEM and don't have an EV.

Well that's kinda covered by the third option. The pool was more to gauge the number of EV owners who work in STEM roles rather than the other way around

I see your point though, and on reflection I should have changed the first two answers to "I own an EV or I am very interested in buying one in the near future" to cover that

And as an extension I could probably have added an answer to the effect of "I work in STEM and do not own an EV, not do I intend to buy one in the near future"

Unfortunately I can't edit the poll now but maybe we'll do a take 2 of the poll another time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I don't care what you drive, where you're coming from or going doing.... Doesn't matter a Jack to me to be honest. As long as you have a safe journey, arrived safely and your departure is comfortable. And most of all you're happy.....

• Advertisement

A worthy philosophy, however I will say that being happy when arriving to work is maybe a bit too ambitious 😁

Personally I set the bar at "not wanting to murder the next person I speak to" as my mental health level for getting to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

You'll have to find out where that anger,resentment and fear is stemming from 😂😂😂

I'm sure you're not that wound up going to work 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

It stands to reason because you need relatively well paid people to afford EVs.

I think you can replace EVs with New Cars in that sentence. No need to narrow it to EVs.

Not true. Changing from your existing ICE to an EV is a lot more expensive than changing from ICE to ICE. The majority of people changing cars are not buying new cars either. If changing to an EV they probably are going with a new car. Its an expensive change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

me too; the poll is useless without those options, because you've no baseline to compare to without them.

I work in STEM, other half doesnt and we have an EV and an ICE. We both drive whichever one fits our trip on the day.

Au contraire it is indeed true.. New versus New, ICE and EV are the same total cost of ownership.

And yes it is expensive, because all new cars are a luxury really. For example, according to this price list, https://www.hyundai.ie/hyundai-price-list/ , the cheapest Tucson is only €2.8k cheaper than the cheapest Ioniq 5. So call it €3.2k by the time you install a home charger. Then assume petrol price of €1.75, electricity price of €0.25/kWh (which is actually more than twice the price I currently pay for night rate) and mileage of 16k km a year, the ioniq 5 will cost somewhere between €750 and €1k less to fuel. So, you'll have the €2.5k caught up in about 3 years. (or put another way, with similar financing arrangements, the fuel savings could feed the marginally higher repayments on your car finance). And if you do more miles, it will actually pay back quicker.

The difference is that instead of pouring your money out the exhaust pipe, you're at least getting a more valuable car for the same money.

I agree with with the comment re 2nd hand cars, that's why I said New Cars can only be afforded by well off people.

You dont get it do you :) Gone off on a tangent.

Take a step back and look what the thread is about, now ask yourself, how many people do you see driving EVs from lower paid soci economic grooups compared to how many of them drive ICEs. It really is one of the most obvious things if you open your eyes.

Would STEM jobs be on the higher end of the salary scale? Yes they would, by a long way. Now put the two together. Doesnt matter about anyones opinion on how expensive it is to run an ICE or an EV. Its the barrier to entry that is relevant to this thread.

• Advertisement

My amendment was simply that New cars are generally for better paid workers, or people who love debt. (Which may include EVs and ICE). And also, plenty of non STEM roles are well paid.

Maybe you're right. I dont get you. So we'll leave it OT.

Advertisement