Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ferrari have a major problem with their management structure.

As it stands, the day-to-day Principal of the Scuderia and the guy sitting o21n the F1 pitwall, is also the head of Gestione Sportiva (all Ferrari racing efforts) and a member of the Ferrari S.p.A board. Until today that was Mattia.

Its worth remembering that Ferrari also has a massive GT and customer racing programme, works as an engine supplier and as of 2023 will run a full WEC/Le Mans Hypercar programme with the new 499P, which for my money will be every bit as tough as an F1 season, given the amount of competition which will be joining them from Porsche, Peugeot, BMW, Cadillac, Honda etc and the very restricted rules.

Ferrari needs the Sporting Director to sit at board level, with a separate executive manager responsible for each of the strands of racing I mentioned above, especially the F1 team, where the Team Principal has no other job than to oversee the development and operations of the Scuderia.

That model can be seen in other teams. Christian Horner runs Red Bull Advanced Technologies, which manages the RBR effort, but Horner has no seat on the RB board, but answers to a joint CEO called Mintzlaff, just as he did to the late Dietrich Mateschitz.

McLaren has Andreas Seidel as Team Principal. He in turn reports to Zak Brown as CEO of McLaren Racing and then Brown sits on the board of McLaren Group.

The separation of duties and reporting lines is clear and necessary and Ferrari don't have that. They should get a new sporting director to wear the Fendi suits and get Guenther Steiner in to run the F1 team at ground level, as Principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hang on, in the same way that Jean Todt used to answer to Luca Di Montezemelo in the Schumacher days, didn't Binotto answer to John Elkman?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course he did, as Elkman is CEO of Ferrari S.p.A.

But both Ferrari S.p.A. and its sporting division are massively bigger now than they were in the days of Jean Todt. (600% more road cars produced now)

Having the guy on the pitwall and who pushes operations on the factory floor of 4 distinct racing efforts, being the same guy who sits on the Board, in an organisation the size of Ferrari, is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

He's a very well respected journalist in the F1 paddock, saying that the Chinese GP will be replaced with Portimao.

Whilst the Chinese GP hasn't been officially cancelled, it's next to impossible seeing it go ahead with the countries zero covid policy. If it was cancelled, there would be 4 week off just as the season is getting going in April. Makes sense that F1 would want to fill that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see the FIA have officially cancelled the Chinese GP for next year due to the Covid situation there. So down to 23 races for next year unless they decide to go somewhere else for that weekend instead.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The writing was kinda on the wall for China even before this announcement. Could be a few years before F1 goes back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Get rid of China and bring back Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Patrick Tambay Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Interesting ranking of the teams in terms of driver pairing for next year. Ranked by The-Race journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mercedes easily have the best line-up followed by Ferrari. Hamilton and Verstappen are streets ahead of whoever people have at no.3, and Russell is obviously far superior to Checo.

Alpine vs McLaren line-up is very close imo. I'd definitely have the Alpine line-up right now though considering McLaren have a rookie. I think the Haas ranking generous but those rankings are a waste of time anyway.

• Advertisement

Ah, they're a bit more interesting than that. It's actual racing journalists rather than the public and they give decent reasoning for their opinions.

Mclaren having a rookie makes them a bit unknown. But Norris is excellent and he'd fit in at any of the top teams. I'd rate him better than perez and Sainz. Up there with Russell, Leclerc and Hamilton last year.

I think Aponso will make a fool of Stroll next year. Now Vettel is gone, people won't need to pretend he's a good driver to make vettel look decebt by comparison. I think he'll be really shown up next year.

I know but what's the point of saying x is better than y? Especially when it comes down to the drivers from 7th/8th to 17th/18th. It all comes down to opinion and from my experience the "experts" are liable to have just as stupid and biased opinions as anyone else. It's clickbait stuff and they tell us very little.

Not sure about Alonso. The team did a great job of not allowing Vettel to embarrass Stroll and I'm putting my biggest tin-foil hat on and saying that that was deliberate. Vettel got screwed in strategy this past season whereas Stroll always seemed to be well looked after.

You think AM deliberately slowed Vettel down? That's silly. I wo der of you think they have a spin button to make Veteran lose control of the car from time to time. Why get an excellent driver like alonso, pay him a fortune and then slow him down? Silly stuff.

I don't see much to disagree with in the ranking. The reasoning is pretty sound. There's wiggle room as there always is with opi ions, but I thought it was a pretty well reasoned opinion.

As I said, I'm going full tin-foil hat on that. At the very minimum they were often on different strats and Stroll invariably had the better one.

Doesn't stop it from being clickbait nonsense though.

Ah yeah but are you eing ironic saying they did it deliberately or do you really think they did it?

Ah ya, probably being ironic. I wouldn't be a man to believe in conspiracy theories in general but Vettel just seemed to have awful luck, a bit like Mick.

Vettel was slower than expected and spun more than expected, which follows a long pattern for him since 2018. No conspiracy theory needed to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Juventus managing director Maurizio Arrivabene has resigned along with the rest of the board! A lot of financial irregularities could see Juventus relegated.

Thought he did okay while at Ferrari but can't remember if he was involved in the dodgy fuel flow and secret deal with the FIA too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Think he was replaced by Binotto as team principal in January 2019, the F1 season starts in March. Didn't really cut the mustard at ferrari while he was there.

Ms

Williams have a sale on if anyone is interested and they have an extra 20 per cent off the 50 per cent for today only too,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Vasseur to be announced at Ferrari tmrw apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 44,965 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have come to the conclusion that I don't like sprint races (6 next season, announced today) because it makes having a better car at some tracks way more valuable than others. You can earn more points at a sprint race track than a non-sprint race track, which I don't think is right. Obviously you have to design your car for a set of characteristics (within reason). Some cars are designed to be generally better in fast corners, or slow corners, or long straights - and the driver (and team) have to made adjustments based on the track and how the track works to or against their car design. But to just flat out say it is better that your car be optimised as much reasonable for these 6 tracks - not comformtable with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,001 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I don't see a problem with the sprint races, you've less practice time, so maybe that makes them less predictable or easier to have a bad weekend if you don't get on top of the setup quickly, there isn't a huge points advantage to winning the sprint race. The main race it's 7 points between first and second with the sprint race that points difference covers the top 7. With three sprint races it's been good, hopefully the 6 will work well too, the tracks they've picked should be ok for overtaking so there probably won't be any huge surprises

Ms

With three sprint races it's been good, hopefully the 6 will work well too, the tracks they've picked should be ok for overtaking so there probably won't be any huge surprises.

Hopefully it will not work and the FIA will finally see the error of there ways and get rid of sprint races.

If they want to go and have smother formula for the sprintvraces fine they could call it Formula 1 light.

Go back to how Formula 1 was before 2019 no stupid Sprint races, proper qualifying on a Saturday as it should be every weekend and let the drivers put all there energy into the actual qualifying and races.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So the races so far were good and the 6 tracks are well chosen for sprints, but you think having entertaining sprints is bad so you want them to fail. Classic F1 fan thinking. What's new is bad, even if it's better.

Give it a few years and you'll get used to them and oppose getting rid of them.

Ms

Ha lol nope not me.

There was plenty of new things in F1 I welcomed but the sprint races have been a step to far. Why not just bake them have 3 or 4 races like this on a Sunday of that's what they want?

Sunday should be the day for races and Saturday the day for qualifying if they want more than maybe have sprint races on Friday. That I would have no problem with but having the proper qualifying on the Friday and sprint races on Saturday is just wrong and always will be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Vegas GP will be Saturday night, so I assume you're against that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Why being able to watch qualy on a Friday, a race on Saturday and the GP on Sunday annoys you so much is beyond me.

There is no error in their ways, the sprint format works. I'd be up for a few more shakeup of qualy during the season to with 3 or 4 different formats.

Ms

Nope I am not against that. That works perfect for me. It will still be watched on the Sunday.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

For some maybe but for us who watch it via C4 then it's still only Saturday and Sunday but Sky do sometimes show the sprint later in the evening on Sky Showcase not all the time do :( . I still do not like the Sky Commentators do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement