Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Freesat/FTA

• 13-06-2022 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is using the FTA / Freesat option direct to the TV?

Is there any chance anybody has a channel export file where everything is in some sort of order that I can bang on a USB and load it up.

If anyone has one handy would be much appreciated.

Can't get the channel sort software to work where I am and it's doing my nut in scrolling through tons of crap just to find channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

If your TV is a recent LG it may have Freesat. Set your TV to UK, put in a post code for the UK region you want and do a satellite scan. This will put the UK channels in order with a 7 day EPG and will automatically tune in any channels that change frequency. Much easier than sorting and uploading channel list files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

If you do this, can you also tune in the saorview channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,799 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

You can have both Saorview and Freesat on some LG tvs, Saorview through aerial and Freesat through dish. The Saorview channels come in the 800+ but it only takes minutes to renumber them.

Yeah, Saorview can still be tuned in as long as a working aerial is connected in addition to the cable from a satellite dish. As has been mentioned because the tv is in UK mode you will have to renumber your Saorview channels to get them in order. Then to switch quickly between terrestrial tuner (Saorview) and satellite tuner (freesat) use LG's quick access feature. I have it that a long press of 1 on my remote takes me to RTÉ 1 and a long press of 2 takes me to BBC One. As far as I can tell this is the quickest way to switch tuners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Is the Freesat EPG on LG TVs the same as you'd get on the Arris/Humax boxes? Also, is series link available for recordings?

Very much the same, the epg is a bit slower than on a Freesat box but still only takes seconds. I can't find series link, if I set up a recording I manually set it to repeat weekly or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

The OP is having issues with channel sorting. OP, you can do this manually with FTA, but its a bit of a slog. You cant sort the Freesat channels

I have a Sony TV with FTA and managed to find some channel sorting software on the interweb, perhaps there is similar for the LG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The freesat on my LG tv is limited. Yes the channels are in order but there is no mini picture when in the tv guide. I also can't select a channel when in the tv guide. I have to type in the channel number. Other than that it is pretty good.

I have the saorview channels reordered but I have forgotten how to relabel the channel number so that rte1 would be 1 instead of 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

To re-number the Saorview channels from 8xx to 1, 2, 3 etc. on LG TVs when in UK Broadcast Mode

Go to a Saorview channel then press... Settings / All Settings / Programmes / Programme Manager / Edit All Programmes / DTV or Radio / Select your channel you want to move and at the top right click on Edit Programme Numbers (123 is the icon) and select the new number

• Advertisement

To select a channel when in the Freesat epg, highlight the current program on the channel you want, there will be 3 lines at the end of the program name, select/click on it. This will bring up the program info along with a couple of options. One of the options is "watch", click/select it and the epg will bring you to the channel. For some reason this method isn't needed when viewing a channel on the terrestrial epg. The terrestrial epg also has the advantage of the mini tv picture working when viewing the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Found a handier way of viewing EPG on satellite side and be able to select a channel.

When in satellite mode click the list button on the remote. You now have a now next list and can select a channel from it.

It also allows you to view the channel while you do it.

Yeah it also works on terrestrial mode too. I would normally use it as I find it loads quicker than the full epg. That maybe just on my particular LG model though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

If you set the LG TV to UK for Freesat will you still get Irish apps RTE, Prime, Now. Thanks

If you put UK for broadcast and Ireland for services you get Freesat and RTE player,TG4, and the other main apps but you loose All4.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭MenloPete

Does anyone know a way to lock in the channel numbers for Saorview, once you have sorted them?

The trouble is it sometimes prompts that the 'program map has changed' (or something like that) and of course someone will press OK to retuning 😣

You can put services to UK and download the All4 player and then put services back to Ireland and download the Irish players you want. All should now be saved to the home banner. Obviously the live channels don't work on All4 but I've never had a problem with the VOD stuff.

Thanks for answering guys

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

On my LG, you go into Programmes, Programme Tuning & Settings and then toggle off Programme List Update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I leave my TV set to UK apps. However you'd not be able to update any Irish one if so. To do that set the TV apps location back to Ireland.

Doesn't bother me as I only have the rte app and they never update it. I change back every one in a while to see if there's an update but there never is....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

If you can say No, and know the DTT mast channel numbers used in your location, manually go into tuning and scan both those channels. It'll update maybe a channel but keep the orig numbers and order you set. You might just have to edit one to hide it then.

Hi Guys,

I have a new LG TV arriving this week, just wondering if the record function on Freesat is any good?

Can you watch other inputs or apps if you are recording a program?

Thanks

Other inputs and app can be used during recording, so you could watch Netflix/ YouTube while recording. Having only one Saorview and satellite tuner its not possible to switch during recording. I find I can't view an earlier recording while a programme is being recorded or I can't view a recording while the recording is ongoing, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your answer, I thought it would be like that for the satellite/terrestrial tuners.

Its good to hear you can use other inputs while a recording is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

I tried that but the All4 app doesnt work for me? Its installed fine but when I open it it says it cannot connect to the server?

Irish apps like RTE Player work fine so the TV is online and can connect to other services. Just All4 seems to be blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭gipi

I'm having the same problem, downloaded the channel 4 / all4 app to my new LG TV, but the app won't open - it just crashes.

Still waiting for the TV to arrive, can anyone recommend a usb hard drive for recording the Freesat, thanks

I've just checked 2 LG tvs and all4 is working no problem on them. I wonder would "can't connect to server" be an ISP issue. For reference my broadband is with Eir.

The app crashing shouldn't be happening. You have probably tried it already but I would deleted the app, reboot the tv and redownload the app and see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I've an LG C2 with the latest version of WebOS. If your set up is like mine, to watch All4 you'll need to set your LG Services country to UK (Settings> General> LG Services country) and switch the TV off and on. Then the Alll4 app should work fine. If the Services country is set to Ireland I get the message "something isn't working. Please try again in a few minutes" when I launch the app.

However, leaving the services country set to UK causes other problems. The TV prevents me from logging in as my LG account is registered to Ireland. Also the order of the satellite channels gets completely jumbled. 

Another unrelated issue I have with this TV is that reception over antenna is very poor. I can't pick up RTE2 at all. I've an old Saorview box beside the TV and when I connect this to the antenna I can pick up all channels without a problem.

Overall it's been a frustrating experience with LG. These are the kinds of issues that are never tested in those glowing online reviews.

Advertisement