Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Frangipane Apple Tart,

(Apricot glaze)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Cheese and roasted onion soda bread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Few apple turnovers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Never find it easy but they seem to be getting better.

Mary Berry recipe and looked at “The Hollywood” video also last week. 😀

Tricky things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Walnut oat bread.

I made an orange swiss roll, sugar-free. Not too bad, if I say so myself 😁

Sure, you'll need:

4 eggs

125g xylitol

125g flour

grated peel of 1 orange

200g quark

100g xylitol

Dash of orange juice

Whisk the eggs and xylitol until they're thick and pale. Sieve in the flour and mix carefully, then stir through the orange peel.

Pour into a lined 24x35cm (-ish) baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 220 for 8 - 10 minutes.

Turn out onto a sheet of baking paper and roll it up from the narrow side. Leave the sponge to cool while rolled up.

To make the filling, whisk the xylitol and the quark, adding just enough orange juice to make it creamy.

Once the sponge is cool, unroll, spread the quark creme, and roll up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

• Advertisement

Ingredients

Dry

500g wholemeal flour

300g plain flour

100g porridge oats

100g walnuts, roughly chopped or crushed

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

2 tablespoons sugar

Wet

700ml buttermilk

2 eggs

2 teaspoons treacle or molasses (optional but gives a great crust)

2 teaspoons honey

Preheat oven to 180 fan / 200 non fan.

Stir the dry ingredients together. Whisk the wet ingredients together, being patient with the treacle.

Combine wet and dry and stir to form a soft, sticky dough. Divide between two oiled loaf tins. Flatten gently in the loaf tins and sprinkle with oats or seeds. I had no seeds today.

Bake for 45 minutes, keeping an eye that the tops don't burn. If they're darkening, loosely drape some tinfoil on top. To test if they're done, stick in a skewer and it should come out clean and dry. Then knock on the base and if it sounds hollow you're good to go.

Eat with lots of butter and jam!

I couldn't resist any longer - christmas baking has officially started in my house. I started with some non-traditional Plaetzchen (in fact, I pretty much came up with the recipe on the spot 😂 ), spice and chocolate christmas trees :

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

This year's selection of Weihnachstplaetzchen (sugar free):

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

@Shenshen , you could be a food stylist. Nice pic! (and so tasty looking, they don't look sugar-free at all, well done!)

totally - or a blog/book or something.. you have talent.. why not gain satisfaction/make € from something you obv enjoy ... ❤️

I use xylitol instead of sugar. That stuff is amazing! The only downside is it can't melt or caramelise, so these are soft biscuits, not snappy ones. But since the original German recipes would leave them a few days before eating so they can soften and mellow a bit, it's actually a perfect fit 😁

Thank you! If I ever find the time, I might actually put together a book 😊

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Where do you get your xylitol from, and is it expensive? I looked for it in my local SV and Dunnes but couldn't find it.

(BTW, for anyone with a pet, here - it's highly toxic to cats and dogs, not sure about other pets)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tesco have it for €4.99 a bag, can't remember the quantity but it's 500g or less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks, Caranica.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Brioche.

It is very expensive, compared to sugar. I usually shop around health food shops online to find if it's on offer anywhere. Usually, you're looking at €13 upwards for 1kg.

The upside is that it does seems sweeter than regular sugar (all sweeteners are, really), so I get away with using less.

And, yes, absolutely, keep this stuff away from any pets you have! It's seriously toxic to them.

Thanks, Shenshen. :)

Dulce de Leche Basque Cheesecake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

TheKBizzle’s flatmates waiting for the dinner time bell. 😝

A cat focaccia 🤌

A Focatcha, if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Advertisement