Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭crinkley

If done correctly yes, I organise face to face meetings and do all the managerial admin face to face, onboarding, training, team meetings. I'm not commuting just to sit at a desk and be seen, might as well be at home

Does the Cork office have any hot desk facilities? If so, you may be able to negotiate this. If not, it certainly could be agreed via local arrangement. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've seen such arrangements facilitated in my dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Exactly...our 2 days in the office are just a bums on seats exercise, no meetings, the team doesn't all come in the same day etc...you mostly end up sitting in an office on your own...totally pointless and a 2 hours commute for no reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Can anyone tell me what the blended policy is in the Department of Education? Here or a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by Shuffl_in on

• Advertisement

Do you not have any "anchor" days? I find they work quite well, though some do tend to see them as an opportunity to chat, rather than focus too hard on the tasks at hand. We don't have them every week, usually every second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

No, we were asked to set the 2 days we are due in the office and stick to these as much as possible, I go in Mondays and Fridays - everybody picked what days suits them best so no day that we are all there and nearly every Friday I'm on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Well that's a lack of management to me - management need to step in with a stronger approach and set an anchor day(s) as it will benefit everyone who is coming o-site, even if it removes 100% choice over days. If people throw their toys out of the pram for having to come in on a Monday or Tuesday then so be it and they will just have to live with it for the benefits of team integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Icbaby

just checked and on my blended working guidelines it says that my WFO has to be in the office I’m contracted to. I can avail of a hub or different office on days that are not my anchor days but they are classed as WFH days as you’re not in the office you’re contracted to and your HEO & team wouldn’t be there. Now we do have anchor days so my whole team is in the same day so it may vary sept to sept. But as someone above said, ask, you’ve nothing to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Seriously? My team is well "integrated" - if that means anything other than being a buzzword - and if I have a team that's happier because one wants to be in a particular day for college, one wants to be in on a Friday because there's always parking available on a Friday, one wants to avoid a day to facilitate picking up a kid from an after-school activity, and so on, replicated across a dozen people, then so be it. Once we have cover every day, the job is being done, and targets and goals are being met, then it really doesn't matter what days people are in. We have Zoom. And sorry to mention the C-word, but Covid hasn't gone away. I'm not going to risk having my whole team being unavailable.

• Advertisement

Per the survey I ran in October (a few pages back now!), Education hadn't published it's blended working policy by then (that, and subsequent answers, may have changed since). A policy was due to be published but was late. There was no concrete info then, but one of 5 respondents was expecting that 3 days WFH/2 WFO would be offered. The union were involved in negotiating the policy so you may be able to get more info from Fórsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CivilServantCP

Some cop on would be great with the weather conditions. Departments could have told people not to worry about office attendance until Christmas given the low temps, but I'm sure the business groups wouldn't stand for that.

?? It's been bloody cold, sure, but dry. Roads are being gritted. Buses and trains are running. Why wouldn't people go in to the office if they're rostered to be in? If people can make it in to the shops, pubs and restaurants, and sports, then a few hours in a nice heated office should be fine.

Because there's been an orange weather alert from met eireann in place across the commuter belt and occasionally Dublin itself for the majority of the week, warning against "treacherous conditions on roads and paths". Seems common sense to me to say "a lads, no need to make that trek in these conditions unless businesses demands require so" the office might be heated, but the commute certainly is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭crinkley

Where are these heated offices you talk of? Been practically riding the radiator for any source of heat this week! Lol

but agree the weather hasn’t nearly been bad enough for people to be told stay at home although I know some have but it’s been regional offices where people may have a longer commute on untreated roads

🙄

It's an orange warning, not a red one.

A status orange weather warning is given before expected weather conditions that could significantly impact people, property and activity in an area. People in the affected areas should prepare appropriately now for the anticipated conditions. ~ met.ie, their emphasis

While it's my first time properly out of the house (bar going to a nearby supermarket and the local shops) and in to the office in a week, I prepared appropriately. It was cold. Paths were frosty, nothing too bad. Roads had been gritted. The bus was empty, and far faster than usual. Main footpaths in the city centre seem to have been gritted too! The office is toasty. I'll be sitting out in the RDS later, with several layers on, and I'll be grand. If the temperature drops more, and the paths are even frostier on the way home from there, I'll take extra care. Would I have come in to the office if I wasn't going to the match later? Sure. Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jesus we are getting (depending on the area) 2,3 or 4 days working from home instead or what could have been 5 days in an office. Be glad what we are given so far as if you push too much they may go f that and take it off us

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Exactly,pre covid would anyone have given a second thought about having to attend the office over the past few days?

It was cold and frosty but nothing that a bit of extra care and attention wouldn't look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Yes, but that was pre covid - the world changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Your in a job they rota I so your in. Did people really believe they would allow ye to just stay at home

• Advertisement

It's not the same as being "rotad in" like a conventional roster, if the work gets done regardless of where. The office attendance is largely symbolic presenteeism from what I can see. Sure, there is a value to the social side, but that's off set by the loss of productivity, moral, energy, etc after an early morning, long, difficult, commute and knowing that you have to do the same again to get home. Surely its common sense to priorities health well being and productivity during the colder Flu/Covid season months.

Also if we're being asked now, not to mix if we have cold or flu like symptoms (very subjective) by the CMO. Then why not minimise discretionary, compulsory office attendance altogether for those who don't want/need to? Rather than radio silence, encouraging people onto buses, train and possibly driving Christmas viral infections. Id rather catch something mixing with family or friends than some randomer on the bus and being laid up for the Christmas.

Policy like this increases overall productivity over these months. I've seen flu spread this year already in my own office by people coming in with symptoms who in their own opinion had recovered. This lead to other team members being off sick and the team only suffered overall as a result. Obviously I can't say for sure it spread just from the office. But there's a pretty good chance in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

that’s a different argument to the weather being bad though and one that’s been effectively settled for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is the 2 days in the office actually being enforced? I go in the odd time. Maybe 1 day every two weeks. A lot of my work is done at remote sites. Possibly 3 days a month involve going to cork or linerick from dublin.

Im not enforcing it with my staff anyway. I think its going to be left to local managers to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Pre covid the ability to work remotely may not have been there. Probably not in terms of tech for example.

If its -5 out and ice on the roads then i think people should stay at home where possible. Its common sense.

Colder than normal weather, lower immunity is my understanding, people inclined to be indoors together more too. Flu season is during the coldest months of the year too. All linked.

Why have compulsory office attendance during a difficult flu season (According to the CMO) and a cold snap that will impede their immune system and ultimately harm business output, is the point?

People aren't inclined to be "indoors together" more. Most places have staff in for either 2 or 3 days per week, for several months now. I might see three or four other people passing by or calling to my unit in a day, when I'm in. If people are rostered to be in more than 3 days a week, it's usually because they're in public-facing office and need to be in. Or they're dealing with confidential files/applications/personal data that shouldn't be brought home.

If you've Covid, a cold, or flu, stay the eff home. Any manager worth their salt will tell you this.

If you're rostered to be in, and it's a bit colder than normal out, get over yourself, make appropriate arrangements (might be as little as hat, scarf and gloves), and go into to the office.

Talking about in general people are more inclined to be in the doors together as opposed to the summer. This adds to opportunity for flu and covid to spread. Not specific to the office.

Disagree so much with you. If we have weather alerts and health concerns in the population like a bad flu. Let people use their laptop where ever they like.

Remind me again what an orange weather warning means.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Hello,

does anyone know whether it is better to be assigned to Department of Finance or Department of Public Expenditure and Reform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

That depends, what level you are going in at and the section you are going into.

Advertisement