Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Only getting around to reading your race report - I knew I needed a cuppa and a sit down for it! Brilliant race report, great detail and honesty. Well done to you on a fantastic time, well deserved, you've put in such good all round training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thank you very much. The further away we get from the race the happier I am with the time!!

Recovery week 2

Monday: 3.75 miles @ 9.52; Lower Body strength session

Legs still a little heavy but loved the return to normality and my routine. Back on track with nutrition too. Had a great week’s break but nice to get back on track. I love that I can do that now … as in take a holiday or a break and eat out or whatever but love getting back to my routine. Before, once I went off plan I used stay off plan until I was probably one or two stone heavier.

Tuesday: 3.7 miles @ 9:00; Upper Body strength

A little fast really considering I’m still supposed to be running easy but ran with a friend and was very glad when big heavy drops started just as got back to the cars. Dived in and it was torrential. Drove up to the gym and could barely hear in there with the noise of the rain on the windows. Few DOMs from the previous day’s gym session but not surprising after the few weeks off.

Wednesday: 6 miles @ 9:45; Lower Body strength

Had planned a rest day but Wednesday turned out to be dry and a bit cooler than every other day so we decided it was too nice not to run. Upped the miles a bit and really enjoyed it. Quads were feeling it in the gym so ended up just doing 2 sets of everything rather than the normal 4.

Thursday: 4 miles easy + 5x20s strides; Upper Body strength

First run by myself. Weather was wild. It was dry when I started out so didn’t bother with a rain jacket as really warm. I wasn’t running long when the rain started but it was light enough. Wind was nuts but for some reason I just loved this run. Talk about exhilarating. The park was still flooded so stuck to the main paths, even though some of them were flooded too. Did 5 strides, not particularly fast, but wanted to start bringing back a bit of speed work. Back to the gym again.

Saturday: 6.36miles: Easy + 5 mins tempo

Went over to Tramore Valley Park to do Parkrun as Ballincollig cancelled with the flooding. I did 2 laps myself before meeting 2 friends for Parkrun. I was feeling really good while by myself and harboured notions of racing Parkrun. Only reason I didn’t was because I had arranged to meet the girls … which was no harm as last year I made a habit of injuring myself from overdoing it when feeling good so must recover properly this time and not risk that. Met up with them and ran their pace but then took off for the last kilometer to do my 5 mins tempo … which was at 7:46 and not 8:40 which would be more like tempo. Was itching to run fast though. Afterwards I looked at the results and if I had raced it, I would have been first in my age category and 4th female I reckon. I think I’ll race Parkrun next Saturday or do a 5Km race on Sunday … must see which I can attend. I may also chicken out as I hate 5Km’s 😂

So 24.65 miles for the week and 4 strength sessions. Recovery going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lol, I saw that 5min tempo and thought it looked quite fast for tempo - faster than my CV pace at the moment 🤣 Sure, why not give Parkrun a lash soon, you've nothing to lose, 5ks are brilliant that way, nice quick recovery from a little bit of short-term hell pain 😜

Great to hear you're feeling good and recovering well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Mallow Castle is fast and flat (ok yes it finishes on a hill 😀). I also spotted this which must surely be dead flat! Great to see the recovery going so well.

• Advertisement

I saw that Macroom one too and wish I could do it. Will you? I never go out but have a big night out the night before and have Santa booked for the kids at lunch time on the 27th then. Such a shame. There’s a BHAA 5Km in Little Island next Sunday though so I’ll either do that or Ballincollig Parkrun on Saturday. Not sure how I’ll do in a 5Km but good to get a baseline anyway …. And then do Togher on December 27th.

I almost forgot, the Newmarket 5K is December 11th, one of the fastest races in the country I understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I'd second a recommendation for this, brilliant race and a very fast course...first K is downhill, then 2K out and back. Probably the best 5K race I've come across to date.

I can’t attend that either as have visitors that weekend but I wish I could. It sounds brilliant. I’ve herd a few people saying similar now. Will you two do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hope you find a decent 5k - deffo a massive pb in those legs ! What shoes would you wear ?

• Advertisement

Oh the Alphaflies without a doubt. I’d better try do the one next Sunday. Not totally sure of the route but can’t be too hilly … I think 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hills will just be a chance to showcase that lower body work !

I had thought about doing but can't make it this year, might be our last year of Santa this year so booked something the same weekend. The race will be there next year, Santa might not be!

I'll be AT Newmarket yes, running it? Noooooo😀, have you seen my paces!!!! No plans to race anything until the Mallow 10 mile next year - slowly trying to build mileage and consistency until the end of the year and then start a plan proper.

Recovery week 3

Monday: 4.67 miles @ 9.44; Full Body strength session 

Lovely run under blue skies for a change and started a new program in the gym. I’ve 4 new weekly sessions and excited to get going properly with them.

Tuesday: 4 miles easy, 5x12 second hill sprints with 2:30 off

Very gentle sessions still after the marathon. Not overly enamoured with the run. It was grand and ticked a box.

Wednesday: 3.89 miles @ 9:48; Lower Body strength 

Intended doing 5 miles but was fairly bitter and myself and my friend were tired so didn’t do the extra loop planned and headed for the gym. Did my new lower body session. Really enjoyed it. Didn’t feel hugely different to before. Few tweaks and lifting heavier but less reps.

Thursday: Rest Day

The new strength session didn’t feel very different but by God it made a big difference and my glutes and hamstrings were letting me know they were there big time. I was in a lot less pain after the marathon and had no trouble with stairs and after this session I was struggling to walk up steps or sit down - love that feeling though!

Friday: 5 miles @ 9:32

Still stiff as a poker. Back sore from bending over to pick up a pair of shoes so no gym 🙄

Saturday: Parkrun: 3.1 miles @ 9:25

Totally unplanned but new puppy had me up early, got loads done around the house and decided to throw on my gear and go get my steps done before the rain hit. Met a friend so ran with her and straight home after.

Sunday: BHAA 5km race - New PB of 22:34 - Race report to follow

Miles for the week 25.97 miles

Cork Mental Health BHAA 5Km race

I decided to go along to this race to see what I could do and give me a base to judge paces to start training from again. I usually avoid 5Km races like the plague. My last one was in May 2019 I think and my PB from then was 23:37 and it was hard won. I didn’t really know what I could do today. I know I’m hugely improved over half and marathon distance since then but 5Km is an unknown and obviously no specific training at all for it. I played with the pace calculator last night and thought maybe I could hold a 7:30 pace which would give me 23:18 and I kind of hoped I could knock off another 19 seconds and go sub 23. Either way, I wasn’t too bother having not worked for it as such.

Drove over to Little Island this morning and met some people I know. One guy I know is a little faster than me and does a lot of races and I asked him what he was running. He was hoping for 22 mins so I said I’d go behind him and use him to pace my first mile to stop me shooting off too fast. He planned on doing his first 2 miles slower than his third. Warmed up with the group and I did about 5 strides myself, changed into the alphaflies and lined up. It was then I realised it wasn’t chip timed and we were way too far back. Too late to do anything about that anyway.

The whistle went and we were off. I was afraid I’d fall over somebody initially as there was a big crowd and just followed my unofficial pacer and passed people out. The pace felt fine and didn’t dare look at my watch in case I tripped. It’s a nice route, a few drags but then slight declines to recover. We started on an incline and no bother and then a nice decline and suddenly mile 1 beeped on my watch … 7.06! Wow, I’m on for a PB so here. I knew I was unlikely to hold that pace as I was breathing very heavily but the legs felt good so just clung on. My pacer wasn’t getting away from me yet so all good.

Mile 2 was round the industrial park and nothing too spectacular. There was a very strong wind going one direction but we turned and that eased off. Every now and then I’d feel I wasn’t getting enough air in to breathe but the legs were still fine. At about 1.5 miles my hip started hurting, probably as a result of the sore back from the other day. I’ve physio anyway Wednesday so just kept going as she can fix me. It’s only 3 miles so surely I can’t do too much damage. 7:18 for mile 2.

Mile 3 and my one goal now was to stay faster than 7:30 and not slow down too much. I wasn’t even sure what time I’d get but I knew it was better than I hoped so that was good, just don’t give up. Mile 2 - 2.5 was an incline straight into the wind and that was tough going but I passed a few people and held my own with some others. My pacer took off as he’d planned which was great. Onto the decline then heading towards the finish line which took a long time to appear. I was heading towards a roundabout and no sign of the finish line and then suddenly it was in view, Phew. Mile 3 was slower again at 7:26 but the last .11 was at 6:51 then. Somehow I managed to increase my cadence to,pick up speed as I thought I couldn’t increase my stride.

A volunteer was taking our numbers and calling out our times as we went through the finish line.

22.34 … a PB by 1 min 3 seconds. I’m absolutely thrilled with that. It’s so different to the long stuff … I was so out of breath but my legs were absolutely fine, besides the sore hip. I’ve spoken to my coach and will use this week as recovery now with a long run of 8 miles maybe at the weekend and then we start back on plan next week. Might do some 5Km specific stuff and race Togher 5Km on 27th December.

Brilliant!!! Congrats on a well run race and an amazing result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

That was a huge chunk off a 5k! They are hard to race well, and I've usually found I need to 2/3 in close proximity to get the best out of myself, so you did really well to knock 1+ min on your first go at one in 3.5yrs!! Super stuff at the moment, enjoy it!

Thanks a mill.

Yes, that makes sense, when I think about your Summer series you used to do and you used to get faster as the weeks go on. It’s hard to dial into an effort you aren’t used to doing and knowing whether you can sustain it etc.

• Advertisement

Great stuff there K, 5Ks take a bit of practice on the pacing front so setting a pb on your first one to race in a while is excellent going.

You're clearly still in good nick at the moment post the marathon and long may it last, more to come I am sure. Nice thing about 5Ks is the recovery, doesn't take long before you can do it again. With a 5K race on the 27th make sure to still enjoy your Christmas day though!

That’s the big advantage alright. Besides my wonky hip, I feel perfectly fine today …. Maybe I didn’t work hard enough 😂. Will definitely enjoy Christmas Day and what will be will be on the 27th. They aren’t important races to me but good for practise. It might keep me civilised on the 26th though which is no harm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the massive PB - you're really knocking it out of the park this year. Great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant run. Just goes to show that if you work away on the base through marathon and half marathon training you'll just plough through your shorter stuff without any race specifics . Great job! Mind that hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

great to hear - congrats on the PB- '23 going to be a good year for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Big huge congrats on the PB, well done😊

Thanks A and E.

Thanks P. It really does show. I was very unsure of whether I could hold a sub 7:30 pace having not done anything specific. I’m itching to do another though now knowing I can hold that pace and maybe push a bit more even.

Thanks A. I’m excited for 2023 now and hopefully getting faster and stronger. Hope you are well recovered from the abscess now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Jingle bells coming up!

Can’t get to Dublin for that unfortunately. December weekends are pretty much blocked up but the Togher 5Km is on here on the 27th December anyway. Would be nice to do something sooner but not sure I’ll be able to … Unless I race a Parkrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What a 5k PB, congrats!

Advertisement