Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Soild enough film and the dealing with grief was done fairly well I just don't think Letitia Wright had the acting chops for it and is to one dimensional of an actor to hold it all together.

I had really hoped...

The mantle of Black Panther was going to be passed onto Nakia as Lupita Nyong'o has a screen presence and is a better actor than Wright.

Namor like Killmonger before him was believable and as a viewer you can completely understand his reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Got to disagree with you on Wright, I thought she did really well. Don't agree with some of her personal views but she doesn't proclaim it far and wide on her social media and let her off IMO. For all I know, the farmer who grew the carrots I ate today might be a raging Nazi. Doesn't matter, they were nice carrots. I don't see her attempting to bring others around to her view point and I respect that, if she really was a problem then you can be sure that the rest of the cast would have refused to work with her and she'd been cast out.

Anyway, have to say I'm a little more optimistic about a couple of next years Marvel projects, firstly The Marvels after Iman Vellani's excellent performance on her own show and now Iron Heart after this excellent introduction to the character. Not sure about Quantum Mania though, trailer isn't doing anything for me.

I have opinions about Ross and Fontaine but I'll wait until Friday to avoid having to hide behind spoiler tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I do agree that there were elements of her story that felt shoehorned in but I would cut other stuff before it like

Okoye's armour which was purely there to sell toys or the Ross/Fontaine stuff. My biggest issue with the Riri story was the car, why not tell us it was her dad's earlier, that way it has more meaning when she gets it back and it gives Shuri the motivation to rebuild it. That whole sequences was really odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yeah, the context of the car was oddly handled. It felt like there was some significance to it when first shown but it was left dangling and forgotten until the end. Really minor thing TBH, but yeah, it didn't land right.

Okoye's armour... I'd forgotten about that. Totally pointless. I'm not even sure what exactly it did aside from look stupid. It made no discernable difference in the fight and if anything took away from Okoye's badassness that she had to rely on it in combat.

I didn't mind the Ross/Fontaine stuff. It wasn't overly intrusive on the main plot, it did connect with the wider world view of Wakanda which is an interesting strand. Ultimately, they were there for the world building side of the movie and I'm ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was a bit meh. It starts off pretty strong (honestly every time Angela Bassett or Lupita Nyong'o was on screen saved this film for me) and Namor is a decent villain but it gets dragged down by the usual MCU finale, the god awful suits and Shuri/Letitia Wright being so unlikable. I find both character and actress just too unlikable and she just doesn't pull off what's needed here. This was always going to be a tough film to do and they pretty much added like 30 minutes to it to deal with Boseman's death (and that 30 minutes really needed some of it cut elsewhere as this film dragged imo) but didn't really pull it off imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just out of a screening.

Overall it was a thumbs up from me.

It's real strength is in some of the actors I thought Nyong'o and Angela Bassett were particularly good here. I kind of agree with some people on Wright. I think she is kind of limited and one note.

She wouldn't be my choice for the next black panther...but looks like it is her....til TChalla junior gets a bit older anyway.

I knew there was an ironheart show on the way no issue with being introduced in this film and actress was fine, I thought the final suit at the battle was a bit power rangers (I know it is comic book accurate)..not good.

Some dodgy weightless CGI, the underwater stuff was hit and miss.

Tenoch Huerta was good I thought.

I wasn't expecting so much Martin Freeman, the accent is a bit of an issue for me. Julie Louise Dreyfuss was a bit camp and OTT but I suppose in keeping with her other appearances in falcon and the winter soldier.

The whole film felt like a tribute to Boseman and it did affect me emotionally. Overly long but enjoyable.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

As someone who thought the first movie was massively over-rated - albeit perfectly watchable - I didn't expect much from this and I think I was pleasantly surprised. It still suffers from some of the typical Marvel-isms, like the predictable end piece, and an initially compelling and understandably motivated "villian" devolving into a one-dimensional character half way through.

But overall I really enjoyed it, the cast, pace and tone are very good, direction is quite good as well. Head and shoulders above the vast majority of the recent movies from either stable and in my opinion a stronger film than Black Panther. Not without its problems but the end product is well worth a watch, I'd say a 7.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back from seeing this. Thought it was well done.

Surprisingly, I through the story felt a bit like old school James Bond/Mission Impossible and that it was strongest there.

Some, understandably, deep moments to handle the passing of Chadwick Boseman. Also others.

The first big punch I thought came in the scene in the throne room between the queen and General Okoye. Damn, I thought it was harsh but as it went on.. like it all connected and I was like... Yeah.. makes sense.

Wasn't expecting the queen to die. The moment afterwards between Shuri and M'Baku was heavy.

Wasn't expecting Killmonger. I thought that pulled the story together really well.

In the end, it felt a big relief that Shuri didn't kill Namor.

Only a mid credits scene and well worth watching I thought.

Seems like a lot of a young generation of MCU being setup recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just saw it myself. Bit cringey in parts and dragged on. But by the credits roll it feels like not a bad movie. Not the best you'll see.

Also Lupita Nyong'o! Damn that ass! Lol. She didn't have that booty in the first..

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Angela Bassett has to be Oscar shoe in with the awards she is winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 sherrupyew

I was looking forward to this after seeing the exciting trailer, but when I saw it a couple of months ago I was disappointed. Angela Bassett's performance was impressive (if brief), but the film didn't work for me and I struggled to get emotionally involved.

The void left by Boseman was definitely noticeable and the film lacked focus. There were some interesting ideas surrounding the villain's motivation and fragile political alliances, but overall the word that comes to mind is "dreary".

There were times when the lighting and CGI really let it down. Some scenes that should have looked spectacular felt flat and lifeless. The look of the first film was much, much better.

Was Leticia Wright's character the film's lead? I'm not sure and I don't think the film had its mind made up either. She still felt like a supporting character thrust into "lead" responsibilities.

I respect the manner in which the filmmakers were able to make tribute to Boseman and actually get the film completed. But unfortunately I found it to be very forgettable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This has arrived on Disney+ for anyone waiting for the home release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Thats this evenings viewing sorted.

Neither deserve the outright award but something isn't right when Avatar The Way of The Water gets a Best Picture Oscar nomination and Wakanda Forever doesn't.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i saw this about a month ago and i honestly cant remember anything about the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

one of the worst films i have seen in a long long time. absolute rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fed up wet smurfs want to take over the land Wakanda stands in the way.

That's about it really.

Fed up humans want to take over the water, wet smurfs stand in the way.

Fairly disappointing ...

2 most powerful countries on the planet, both minority's.... and they fight eachother through idiocy and nose piercings...

not sure who green lit this gig. nice nod to Boseman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well China is fighting the US with balloons right now. So kinda not too far off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Watched this last night....or at least an hour of it (and still another 1 and 3/4 hours to go, no thanks). There was nothing there to hold my interest. I actually never got the hype for the first one either, it was an average movie.

Thats a string of stinkers now in Phase 4, Thor L&T was an abomination, Moon Knight was a proper let down and The Eternals...ouch, how are half of these being green lit at all.

Disney is killing Marvel and Superhero movies from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Watched it last night, one of the weakest Marvel films, just found it hard to care about anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Saw it recently.. actually took me 3 days to get through due to lack of engagement in the plot, and also because I literally fell asleep!

It's actually a good snooze-fest... something about the music and atmosphere.

Given the fact there's only 10 minutes of actual Black Panther action, the other 2 hr 20 mins is just forgetful.

Why is this nominated for an Academy Award again?

It's not, Angela Basset is nominated for best supporting Box Tick.

apparently it's up for a few

Vague enough categories I guess... apart from best supporting actress

• Registered Users Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s up for the things one would expect… deserves the costuming, visual effects and makeup/styling noms. Basset was quite good too, not sure I’d have nominated her, but no major complaints either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said to myself I'd wait til it came on Disney+... and now that it's there, I'm struggling to raise the enthusiasm to watch this.

Eternals was the first MCU I passed on but figured it was safe enough as it always felt tangential, as it were. This would be the first "main" film I'm probably going to let drift on by; I reckon it's a mixture of disinterest and how the TV shows have kinda trumped the films in terms of a natural "home".

It requires bit of enthusiasm as it's a slow burner to keep engaged.. I wasn't kidding when I said it took me 3 days

Eternals was so bad... not even the beauty of Gemma CHan could save it...

Is there still a sleeping Celestial emerging from the Earth, or have Marvel conveniently forgotten that?

• Advertisement

Perhaps: I know using the words that rhyme with "pooper-nero rat-teeg" get some people irritated, but I really am feeling a bit jaded by the MCU these days and BP2 is kinda putting it into sharp relief for me. I had wondered but it wasn't 'til this Main Event Film came around I found myself going ehhhhhhh, I dunno. I'm just more enthused about the TV series' now 'cos they just feel like better spaces for some characters. Looking forward to Loki Season 2 - but Ant-Man 3? Aggain: ehhhhhhh...

Advertisement