Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slide Scanner Recommendation

• 18-11-2022 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I was just wondering could someone recommend a scanner for digitising old 35mm slides please?

I was hoping to pick one up during cyber week to digitise a family collection with the intention of getting them printed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Epson V series. I have a V500 the past 10+ years. The later models are better again like the V700 or V750. Easy to use and cheap.

Slides are more difficult to scan than negatives though. There are a few tricks with the Epson V series to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I had a good scanner, but it died, so these days I use my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I have a Nikon Coolscan V which gives very good results (long out of production, unfortunately, though they regularly come up on ebay). I know a couple of people who use the Epson V600 and who are happy with the results. The quality of the original slides and the condition they are now in will also be a factor, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭cobham

I mean to get old slides done some day. About 200 of them and tempted to get done commercially but am sure when see them one by one probably not worth the money. It is the time it takes that is the tedious bit according to a friend who did it but then the slow device produces better results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have a Plustek OpticFilm 8200i slide/film scanner. On good negatives and slides you can get nice results. Cons:

• the whole process of scanning is slooooow if you want to get the best results (for average, faster results, one can use a cheaper scanner)
    • does not performs miracles for underexposed negatives, they are too dark for the light source

I have scanned a few hundred of slides/negatives successfully using this scanner. There is another several hundred to go which I a bit afraid to touch because it means long, long evenings of scanning and categorizing the scans ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have an Epson V850 for a few years now. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As mentioned, after my Polaroid sprintscan 4000 died, I made this:

Just point at a sun lit sheet of white paper or a grey overcast sky, and it scans in a fraction of a second. Slightly fiddly to mount the slides and get the paralax right, but still quicker than the Polaroid, and a lot cheaper, not even 50c.

I have since upgraded to something even faster and less fiddly, but more expensive, being an old Olympus slide duplicator, which is way cooler looking, but more expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mark blake

Epson are the best, most dpi, you can make your own with a macro lens, but scanners, you cant beat epson price wise

Advertisement