Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Mobile - iMessage & Facetime Activation Issues

• 21-10-2022 5:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else on the Virgin Mobile network having issues activating their iMessage and Facetime?

I added a new Sim to my account a month ago. I've been unable to activate iMessage & Facetime on the phone since day one of receiving the Sim.

I was on to Virgin Mobile support, they fobbed me off saying it's an Apple issue. Have been on to Apple for the last three weeks and in fairness to them they have been helpful, but the conclusion is it's an issue with the Virgin network.

Then today I had to take my Sim out of my other phone and when I put it back in that number is also unable to activate iMessage and Facetime. iMessage and Facetime had both been working fine until today, the issue arose after the need to re-activate the service after the Sim card change.

I have discovered that I'm unable to send text messages to 48369, the number Apple use for troubleshooting. Virgin Media basically told me today that they have blocked certain Apple numbers, and it's pretty evident that this is stopping iMessage and Facetime from activating.

The frustrating issue is that Virgin customer support are basically acknowledging the problem, but are unable to do anything about it.

I surely am not the only one having this issue? Any solutions?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

same issue here, upgraded my phone and no iMessages nor FaceTime on mobile network...

tried to sign off from Apple iD, restarting the phone and no joy

@Sierra Oscar just found out that iMessages and FaceTime were working on my Virginmedia mobile number until Friday when I've got my new iPhone ... thats really weird

Post edited by stuff.hunter on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I still haven't gotten it sorted. Apple are adamant Virgin Media are at fault and have been pulling data logs from my phone to troubleshoot.

Virgin Media have been of little help, I've made a complaint to ComReg.

yeah I'll say so, was on the call with Apple for an hour trying everything..finally they advised to check with different SIM card (didnt have a chance to check it out as yet). Anyways, remember a few years back there was issue with PTSB authorization texts not coming through but they've fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bofination

Were you able to resolve the issue? Going through same problem now myself, switched phones using Virgin SIM card and iMessage and FaceTime won’t activate. Followed all the troubleshooting steps on Apple support’s page. From reading some Virgin Media forums, it seems like a really common issue with Virgin sims and that it resolves itself after a couple of days. I haven’t had any issues with Virgin up to now so I’m hoping not to have to change network for something like this.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Still no joy on my end unfortunately, being completely stonewalled by Virgin Media - although I am awaiting a callback from them with an update. It's been going on over six weeks for me now. When I have an update I'll let you know.

• Advertisement

That’s such a pain! I’ve spoken to virgin this evening myself and they’re saying its Apple even when I told them about other people’s experiences, where Virgin proved to be the issue, they still said talk to Apple - they didnt even try to troubleshoot. I rang Apple also and they did all the checks and no issues - they said imessage can only be activated by the carrier approving the request so it must be on Virgin’s end. I’m going to give it another couple of days, probably try virgin again, and after that I guess changing provider is the best option.

I'm waiting for a callback from someone in Virgin Media for nearly two weeks now. Been following up with a phonecall every day. Gone beyond a joke at this stage.

just off the phone with Virginmedia and was told that its ongoing issue and fault lies on Apple side...wtaf

You're lucky to have gotten through. Currently on hold for 45 minutes for my daily request for a callback. Heard back from ComReg at least, they're investigating it. I'd encourage you to get on to them if Virgin Media continue to stonewall you.

back on with Virginmedia (on hold atm), been on Apple support a few minutes ago and guy asked me to send text to some number and it didnt go through and told me to call VM back and tell them that SMS need to be re-configured. Will update asap

Update: as per VM tech guy, Apples SMS verification texts are flagged by VM as 'premium' numbers and these are DISABLED at the moment and there is no ETA to have it fixed (apparently VM system is old and it takes some time) so was advised to ask Apple to send verification by email. Will get on with Apple again and update

• Advertisement

I've never been told explicitly by Virgin Media that they've blocked the numbers Apple use for verification, but a manager alluded to it a few weeks back but they've denied all knowledge of mentioning it to me ever since I've brought it back up.

I've asked Apple if there is an alternative activation method and they have told me there isn't. Let me know how you get on with them.

You're correct @Sierra Oscar , Apple confirmed that they can't activate iMessages and FaceTime other way so going to fill complain at ComReg and will keep updating.

would you share your ComReg case if you dont mind please?

Cheers

Post edited by stuff.hunter on

filled complaints with ComReg and was asked to open the case with VM which I did and waiting for follow up, will update when VM gets back to me

Just an update on my end, I had a very helpful member of the Virgin Media complaints team that rang me. They sent out two new sims free of charge to troubleshoot the issue. iMessage & Facetime activated immediately with the two new sims. They then tried porting my old numbers to the new sim cards to see if that would sort it. I still couldn't connect to iMessage & Facetime after the port was completed.

So it's either an issue with the porting process or with our two specific phone numbers itself. We've been able to rule out that it's a sim card specific issue.

What prefix is your phone number out of interest? Both of ours are 087.

Same here, 087 ported from Vodafone donkey years ago.

Looks like we're getting somewhere ...slowly :)

I’m 087 too - moved over from three and earlier 02. Still no luck with activating either service. I will submit a case to VM also and keep you updated.

Thanks. It looks like there's a good few users having issues at this stage. Frustrating that VM continue to refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue. I'll get on to them again tomorrow for an update.

still no contact from VM in regards to my compliant, is 3 or 4 days since I have logged it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 StephenClements

I’m having the same issue, upgraded iPhone and can’t activate messages or FaceTime. VM say nothing wrong on their end but tried sending out a new sim with an 089 number and suggested trying to activate messages on it and the re-port my number. I haven’t tried it yet as Apple have been running diagnostics and are waiting to hear back from engineering - so I’m holding off until then.

However, I’m not holding out much hope as mine is also a ported 087 number and based on what others have posted here, that seems to be a common denominator in all of this!

It’s frustrating - has anyone had any joy? Or is it a case of moving away from VM?

• Advertisement

They tried sending out a new sim to myself (089) and iMessage and Facetime worked immediately. Then when they ported my 087 number to the new sim it could no longer activate iMessage or Facetime. I'll be following up with them again tomorrow. It's clearly an issue on VM's end in my view.

I've been through exhaustive diagnostics with Apple and they're saying they simply aren't getting communication from the carrier when attempting to activate.

If you’re having no joy with VM then I’d suggest making a complaint to ComReg. You can do so here.

That's four of us on this thread alone now having issues with ported 087 numbers, there's clearly an issue that they're not addressing.

Looks like there might be some progress... I had a callback from the really helpful person in Apple support who had been gathering the diagnostics and logs from my device and sending them to Apple engineering. It now sounds like Apple is seeing increasing escalations coming through specifically from VM customers and are investigating. It seems to be only an issue with VM. Apparently, they will be reaching out to VM to try and resolve the problem. He did say he'd call me back when he had any more updates and set the expectation that it could be a few days or up to a month...

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm hopeful that if Apple are talking to VM in order to work with them to resolve the issue, then there's hope!

still no hear from VM in regards to my complain ...guess is time to escalate

I've finally had VM acknowledge that this is a widespread issue and it appears to effect every 087 number that has been ported over. If you have to reactivate Facetime & iMessage at any stage you will be unable to do so.

They have told me they are in communication with Apple in relation to the issue, and still insist it is an Apple problem to fix.

I’ve been given credit to cover the cost of my service for the last couple of months.

just off another call with VM:

got replacement SIM and it didnt work and again was told that its Apples issue to fix and they (VM) cant do anything about it and that they're getting alot of calls highlighting the same issue.

My wifey O2 ported to VM SIM activated right away so I'm pissed off even more .... guess theres nothing which we can do more, just wait

I've just given up waiting and decided to switch to a three business plan - so the number is set to port on Monday morning, and then the problem is hopefully solved. Whilst I'm sure it's not an easy problem for VM to resolve, you'd imagine there be value in having better communication from them to their customers rather than having their customers bounce back and forth between Apple and themselves, with both blaming the other!

I hear you brother ... for me personally isn't a deal breaker as got all my services off them and don't really want to have another provider for anything :)

I received a new pin also. VM gave me a step-by-step of what to do to initiate a “forced activation” and it still hasn’t worked. In fact now my number isn’t even available as an option for iMessage even though I reentered on the list for where I can be contacted. I’ve done all the troubleshooting steps and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Did you find a solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Only solution seems to be to port to another network. They don’t want to acknowledge it’s even an issue.

Advertisement