Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I've a worx mower that has created a single track just inside the perimeter.

In my case it is not due to excessive travelling of the wire, but a design issue with the mower. Infact there are a number of design issues that has stopped me recommending Worx mowers in the last year.

The cause of the ruts in my lawn are to do with the logic of the mower when it runs into the boundary, the (lack of) grip on the wheels, and the wheel base. As the mower "bounces off" the wire it doesn't revers up (like it would if it hits something), instead it does a "hard turn" where the wheels spin in opposite directions. The long-ish wheel base causes more force to be required at the ground and the lack of grip causes the wheels to spin for a bit. Over a few years, this results in a rut track that is the same distance inside the wire as the distance from the sensor and the rear wheels.

Now the rut causes the lift sensor to fire, and due to another design issue it sometimes gets stuck in a "lifted" position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Have you tried the wheel spikes or grippier wheels entirely? They're available on etsy.

Not yet.

I have been discussing the issue with Worx and they mentioned they produce better wheels but only for the S and M models currently. They indicated they have something in the works (excuse the pun) for L models but not yet....

Last time I checked the spikes on amazon they weren't available - but they appear to be now.

I've never used etsy and never look there - good tip. thanks

Have you got personal experience with upgrading wheels/spikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

I leave my dock out too, but I don't unplug it as I think that would be more likely to let it get damp.

No thoughts of taking in the mower yet - still lots of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭sligopaul

I have a Stihl and I leave the docking out and cover it over the winter , also unplug it.

On the wheel front always worth a try , as mentioned above didn't work for the issue I had but yours is different. A larger job may be to replace that piece of lawn with the honey comb rubber mesh just below the surface maybe as others had previously mentioned here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dermotp

Moreilly,I think that company is gone bankrupt, check it out on trustpilot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Hi All, I've a husky 450X, which when its working, is excellent. However, any time I leave it powered offer or parked for more than a week or two, when I go to send it to mow, it has the dreaded blue flashing light.

The latest one is after I'd parked it to avoid the heavy rain over last few weeks. Went to start it at weekend & the flashing blue light on the docking station is back!

Now over the last 3 years I've had at least two breaks a season, troubleshooting can take a painful amount of time. I've replaced the connectors, but I'm wondering, is this a normal amount of breakdowns?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Aside from the mower cutting the boundary wire itself (my own fault for not burying it), I've never had a break for any other reason.

Is your cable over ground? Worth just running a fresh one around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭denismc

Part of my boundary wire runs underground and part of it I laid my self overground.

In 4 years I have had over a dozen breaks, most of them have been in the underground section.

I think when the installer put down the buried wire he might have damaged it .

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

have had 2 blue lights in 4 years. Your amount is very high! what was the reason behind the various blue lights? that might give you an indication of the problem ..... e.g poor installation, dodgy connection at charging station, dogs, rabbits, etc

• Advertisement

Actually, Worx just this morning tell me new wheels for the L models have been released.

Product number is WA0955 but I getting them in Ireland could be difficult - for some reason.

I'll probably go for the spikes as suggested by others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Thud

I think they say the ground can contract with heat and moisture, it the installer installed it too tight it can lead to breaks, they should leave some slack to allow for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

keeping an eye on this apparent launch.

About time mowers moved beyond perimeter wires as a necessity.

but not fully sure I trust this yet

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

It can do nearly a 1:2 gradient on those wheels? Maybe downhill 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

Not sure how good the yardforce brand is but saw the Yardforce SA900ECO for €274 delivered from amazon italy which seems a good deal if anyone in the market. Prices generally range from €400 to €500 delivered.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B082BVW7C8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

My robot friend was put in the garage for winter yesterday. I'll let him fully dry off then give him a good clean.

Would really like if Husqvarna had a service kit to give them the once over before winter.

Hear you Lurching as I've just done the same in terms of cleaning and putting to sleep , however manufacturers probably want us to go to dealers so that's where you would be directed

Anyone leave their machine out all year or are all hibernating at this stage ( especially given current conditions )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Thud

cold weather will damage the batteries so advisable to take in once frost arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Alpha99

2 or more geese will look after your lawn

Cheaper than a self driving mower and a lovely garden feature if you can keep them safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

What kind of boundary wire do they use? Can you map them? Battery life good?........

Was looking at photos from mid summer today, can't wait to get the automower out again in 2023!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Good deals or websites now?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Looking fro some advice, have a Landroid WR141E, took it out of shed to give it a run, started but got an error about line...fixed that

Now I try to start it, it comes on and the lock screen is up but the buttons I need to press to unlock won't work. I checked the app and it doesn't say antyhing.

I don't have the auto lock turned on if it doesn't connect to wifi in 72 hours or anything like that

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hello,

I think I'm about to take the plunge on an automower.

Locally the best thing I seem to be able to source is a Husqvarna 430X which looks like it will cost €4k all in....

Anybody got an opinion on them?

My garden is around 900 sqm with... front and back of house with a 2m side passage linking them.. all grass ..

I'm reckoning the two guide wires will help it find its way out and back...

Hoping to put the charging station up the back beside the garage..

I really like the idea of Geese btw.. if @Alpha99 would like to share more of the practicalities I'm all ears/eyes/whatever...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I have an old 430X, love it. It won't have to go out too much on your lawn either as it's a fair bit smaller than the 430X is specced for. Better off as when you are up against the limits of the mower area wise it'll have to run day and night.

Geese are great and all, but you'd need something to keep you safe from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Heh heh.. I've two small kids.. they'd probably end up being terrorised by the geese.. I seem to remember they can be quite fierce.

The neighbour insisted on feeding wild cats and we have about 8 of the feckers roaming around all the time now.. that would be some battle to behold, geese vs cats...

I was also lookin at a Robomow rk2000 pro which is about €2k from rangeking.ie

So its a good lot cheaper... but I'm thinkin the 430X has a lot more technology in it.. with the GPS etc...

Does that actually mean it would follow more efficient mowing path?

I picked up a Worx Landroid for 508 last week which will cover 1,00m2. It will probably cost anothe r80 quid to ship. Comes with everyone and they work perfect apart from the error above

4k is f**king crazy money to be honest but I know that is what the local shops charge

I managed to pick up a small push mower and strimmer for Worx for 200 quid in a local shop and the interchangeable batteries are great

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxirl

Anyone have any issues with ordering perimeter wire from https://www.genisys24-shop.de. Ordered the wire last Sunday but got no confirmation email and have tried emailing them several times but no reply. Money gone from Paypal so can put in claim but would rather get the wire. For people who ordered before how long was it before it arrived. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

I have been looking at the worx mowers myself. I have a good few worx tools and they have been pretty good.

Where did you get yours from ?.

• Advertisement

Amazon Germany, in reality I bought it and then regretted as I don't really need it :-)

Shipping it over anyway and will decide what to do with it then, it should go on back garden but I had to get digger into it last week so it will be sitting in shed this year and seems a waste

Advertisement