Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BoardsFM

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Number 7

Another classic..

"All I want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey

This time it is the Mariah Carey version, yes I know this song has been and is MASSIVELY over-played. But from the opening chimes and the initially over-sang Iiiiii..... you know it's going to be a banger haha.

For me this one holds a memory of me in my early 20's (cries in late 30s) and being out in a nightclub on December 23rd, and when it stuck midnight the DJ announced, "It's midnight, it's OFFICIALLY Christmas Eve!!" and started playing this song and everyone ran to the dancefloor.

I remember just looking around and seeing everyone smiling and singing and dancing and thinking this is what Christmas is all about, everyone is happy and having a great time. There was no stress about work or life, everyone just having a good time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Number 6

Is a modern take on a classic.

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" covered by The Coronas

The Coronas are either extremely liked or disliked by the public but I like them, they covered this Christmas Classic as part of a charity album for RTÉ, they sang the song as a slowed down somber version and it was the first time I remember hearing the song and really focusing on the lyrics and it really hit home. The song became even more meaningful in 2020 & 2021.

So that's my half way mark in my countdown, I'll be taking a breather for now and returning with the hidden gem, songs 5-1 and my closing song!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Excellent stuff @Loughc I look forward to the second half!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yes, loving it so far @Loughc, bring on the top 5!

• Advertisement

Oh Half way mark and it's time for Lough-Christmas Hidden Gem.

Incredible Christmas by Gary Barlow gets the nod for me for this. I've said recently we're hitting a bit of a Christmas music resurgence with more modern artist releasing Christmas Albums, Gary Barlow dropped this tune 2 years ago and I feel it went a bit under the radar, musically upbeat and lyrically well written lots to enjoy here!

Number 5

This is a strong classic, covered by so many it was hard to pick one version;

It's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Leona Lewis

I went with Leona as her voice adds a new dimension to the song, the brass section in this song is amazing it is a serious powerful number!

Number 4

Another classic it's;

"Last Christmas" by Wham

This song rings special for me as it's one of the music videos I VIVIDLY remember from my childhood. That Ski-Resort looked amazing and all I wanted to go for years after was to go on a snow holiday... (still hasn't happened)

Number 3

"I wish it could be Christmas Every Day" by Wizzard

Another song I could be heard singing parts of throughout the year. It's an absolute ear worm of a song and it burrows in for the year for me randomly popping into my head at random times.

Number 2

"Merry Xmas Everyone" by Slade

I'm showing my aged here with my top 4 selection. I feel this song has had a massive culture impact, it's featured on Gavin and Stacey and Noel Gallagher performed a slow down version of it for the Royle Family. Not to mention every Christmas party every and everyone belting out It's Christmasssss at the end of the song.

Not much more to add but it's a song that lives on, it's iconic and timeless.

• Advertisement

And Number 1....

Is...

"Merry Christmas Everyone" by Shaking Stevens

Another one I vividly remember the music video for, the playing in the snow, the dancing snowman, 80's gold.

But for me I vividly remember this as a kid dancing like crazy to it, it was a big hit in our house growing up and it always brings me back to the feeling of being a kid at Christmas.

It's worth pointing out Lyra did a cover of this song and it is stunning, you'd barely recognise it but it brings whole new meaning to the lyrics.

Post edited by Loughc on

Thank you for baring with me today and I can’t think of a better song to close my shift out here on boardsfm but with the greatest Irish Christmas song ever written.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Not totally an Irish Christmas song - written by Shane McGowan and Jem Finer, both born and raised in England. Shane's parents were Irish and he did see quite a bit of Ireland - I'll give you that! Jem Finer is the unsung hero here, having come up with the song first before Shane changed the lyrics.

Great work @Loughc

If I get the time to write mine between now & christmas I'll be doing well!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Ah we adopted the Pogues along time ago.... sure even the mention of Galway Bay is enough to seal it haha

Seen him being interviewed a few times & from his own mouth he considers himself Irish. At least half the pogues are Irish or of Irish descent & consider themselves very much an Irish/London hybrid band.

There was a great documentary about the history of the song on BBC3 a few years ago & I have it saved & have watched it a few times, the backstory is as entertaining as the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSNzqqLFT0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think I saw that documentary. I suspect it was BBC4 as that is the more music-oriented channel. It may have been on BBC2 too. I think I saw it (if it was the same documentary) on RTE. Jem Finer got more of a recognition there than he normally does for that song. I'm not sure if he has Irish blood - could have I suppose.

BBC3 originally, its even watermarked in the top left corner on the youtube link in my post 😉 though I suspect it was repeated on BBC4 after BBC3 went online only for a few years. Think you're right that it was on RTE a few years later too.

A great watch though. I saw it one year when my Mrs was out at her work christmas party & I had the kids in bed fats asleep... house was decorated and the tree was twinkling away... christmas bliss for an old fart such as myself😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Brilliant @Loughc, really enjoyed that.

Like DvB will look to get mine done this side of Christmas!

No rush lads we always have the off season next year too!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks to a chaotic work schedule, only had time today to sit down and read (and sing 😂) your songs today, Loughc. Great work! 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Good Evening or Good Night everybody and welcome to Christmas with Freshpopcorn.

I'm delighted to post in the thread mainly because I haven't a clue what's going on in the werewolves thread.

Well my opening number is

''Do they know it's Christmas time?''

This is mainly here because of the Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special.

It's one of my favorite Christmas Specials because of how realistic it with two families preparing and coming together at Christmas with all the ups and downs included.

And now we're onto my top 10.

Coming in at number 10 is Leon Jackson ''When you believe?''

If I'm being really honest I don't really even like this song.

However it takes me back to Christmas 2007. It was the first year I watched the X-Factor fully. I remember queuing up to buy the single for nearly half an hour in Virgin Megastore a few days before Christmas.(please not I also bought DVD's I wouldn't have crazy enough to buy the single alone.)

Now it's time for Number 9.

This was released back in 1996 I hadn't even started school yet.

It's 2 become 1 by the Spice Girls. It made my list because I did some work experience in a supermarket in the 2000's and when this played I knew it was time to go home. It was honestly the best song ever back then and that's why it's on the list. It was also the Christmas when the pork crisis happened and their nearly was a shortage of ham's.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

Now, we're moving onto number 8.

We're walking in the air 

A song that most of would associate with The Snowman strangely I didn't see The Snowman in full until I was 20 also it reminds me of the An Post ad from the 2000's.

Moving onto number seven and I suppose I should say Good Morning to everybody now.

Happy Christmas/War is Over.

This takes me back to primary school when the whole school had to sing Christmas carols either in school or down town for charity. It was a favorite song at the time. I really knew Christmas was on the way when we began practicing them. I did love Christmas in primary school from Santa visits to Discos in later years. Those were really the most magically days of my life. The singing was terrible.

Moving onto number 6 we're nearly at the halfway point.

Not at all Christmassy but this song takes me back to 1st year in secondary and my first Christmas as a teenager. Snippets of this song was shared using our mobile phones at the time using a thing called infrared. I went to a disco/talent show that during this Christmas and for some reason it's a night I'd like to experience again.

Now it's time for my hidden Jem song.

It's a song from the early 1990's All alone on Christmas by Darlene Love.

I often feel this isn't played enough but heard it a lot last year. I mainly know this because of Home Alone 2 and Kevin with his adventures in New York. In the music video and of course in Home Alone 2 you get to see the New York sky line with the twin towers. Back when it was released nobody would have imagined what would happened.

Now, we're onto number 5 and at the halfway point.

Mabel Time after Time on here because it was featured in one of my favorite Christmas ads for McDonald's from 2021. I don't think the ad was popular on the forum but it really struck a chord with me it was just so magical.

• Advertisement

Onto Number 4 now and it's another strange one.

Gabrielle Out of Reach.

It's a song that I remember from Christmases when I was younger when it was played in the Bridget Jones Diary movie.

Advertisement