Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Under-20's 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

No he was a tighthead for most of school but he can play both sides to a high level.. last weekend he started at loosehead and moved to tighthead at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I'd imagine were more likely to see Mangan in the row and McMabney at 6 than vice versa - would expect Shay McCarthy to feature somewhere too - been lining up in centre, wing and fullback for Cookies this year so interesting to see where he slots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

A lot of lads are out injured. Could be a different look come 6nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Considering how highly rated Boyle is, and Leinster’s depth chart in general… I’m surprised McCarthy is going to LH.

On the team itself, I’m most interested in seeing what under 19s are involved. Would O Connell and Hopes make the 23/15 for example?

McCarthy could go either way,. he is focusing on loose now but if he is the best tighthead for the 20s, i expect he will play there, he is an Andrew Porter level prospect at prop.

there is potentially more depth at TH at 20s level, can Cameron Doak, Fiachra Barrett or Joe Charles lock down the scrum?

• Advertisement

Better than Boyle? I was a little underwhelmed by Boyle. Super tidy and technical, but not anywhere near a porter level athlete.

The italian TH he played against was actually the best prop i saw in the under 20s.

McCarthy is more powerful and a better athlete than Boyle at the same age.

Boyle is an excellent rugby player but at the pro level, he probably lacks the top end power/athleticism of a Healy/Porter and potentially McCarthy.

With the provision that he is 20 and he could develop it with time as he physically matures.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Going on schoolboy performances hes easily if not more of a prospect than even Boyle was, I thought personally he looks the better player. Both have the attributes to make it at a higher level for sure

I'd say its almost certain both O'Connell and Hopes will be in the wider 20s squad, injury dependent.

in the first 23 named? again could easily see one starting depending on injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Munstermunch

Henry Buttimer/Garryowen ? U20’s Would he not be considered in 15/23 line up

• Advertisement

Andrew Osborne with 5 tries in his last 3 games for Naas.

Can you list injured players you think might feature and their positions/club etc interested to see the potential pick from the mix

Can you list injured players you think might feature and their positions/club etc interested to see the potential pick from the mix

Props

Paddy McCarthy(DUFC/Leinster)

George Hadden(Clontarf/Leinster)

Joe Charles(Ballynahinch/Ulster)

Cameron Doak(Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

Fiachna Barrett(Corinthians/Connacht)

Hooker

Gus McCarthy(UCD/Leinster)

Conall Henchy(DUFC/Munster)

Danny Sheahan(UCC/Munster) - u19

Lock

Conor O'Tighnearnaigh(UCD/Leinster)

Charlie Irvine(Queens/Ulster)

James Doyle(Lansdowne/Leinster)

Evan O'Connell(UL Bohs/Munster) - u19

Joe Hopes(Queens/Ulster) - u19

Backrow

James McNabney(Ballymena/Ulster)

Diarmuid Mangan(UCD/Leinster)

Liam Molony(DUFC/Leinster)

Ruadhan Quinn(Old Crescent/Munster)

Brian Gleeson (Garryowen/Munster) - u19

Jacob Sheahan (UCC/Munster) - u19

Scrumhalf

Fintan Gunne(Terenure/Leinster)

Jack Oliver(Garryowen/Munster)

Andrew O'Mahony(UCC/Munster)

Oscar Cawley(Naas/Leinster)

Outhalf

Sam Prendergast(Lansdowne/Leinster)

Harry West(Buccaneers/Connacht)

Centre

Hugh Cooney(Clontarf/Leinster)

Ross Taylor(Armagh/Ulster)

Sam Berman(DUFC/Leinster) - u19

David Dooley(MU Barnhall/Leinster)

John Devine(Corinthians/Connacht)

Back Three

Josh Costello (Shannon/Munster)

Ethan Graham (Ballynahinch/Ulster) - u19

Henry McErlean (Terenure/Leinster)

Ruben Moloney (UCD/Leinster) - u19

Ihechi Oji (UL Bohs/Munster)

Andrew Osborne (Naas/Leinster)

Sean Fox (Corinthians/Connacht) - u19

Henry Buttimer(Garryowen/Munster)

Rory Telfer(Queens/Ulster)

Post edited by Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3 on

Good to see Connacht lads listed. I recall Gleeson from the u19's last year, he looked really good. Berman looks a good prospect too.

I think i saw him in under 18s? Maybe he played two levels. He looked massive.

Andrew O'Mahony(UCC/Munster) still U20 ?

Any chance you could mark under 19s eligible? I see 5 i think but curious of any others.

there are 9

• Advertisement

The backrow options look class! McNabney is fantastic! Rudhan Quinn already capped with Munster and Gleeson looked the business too! Molony played great for Blackrock? I remember him from the sct. Really powerful lad.

Edit! Forgot Mangan! Jesus we are stacked!

Diarmuid Mangan back from injury this weekend. Good to see, will be a key player for the 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Hayden Hyde, ex U20 playing with Quins and Baa-baas, had Eng 7's but on Commowealth games.

Is he still IQ?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Shehal

He played for England 7s in the 7 series so probably not for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Ok, piers o'conor capped for England in 2019 is now IQ again, though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Shehal

As long as its through his parents/grand parents he should be.

Rate him personally and scored a great try at the weekend - but reading between the lines McCarthy and Oji seem to be rated ahead of him provincially. Provincial pecking order has been thrown aside for Irish 20s before though.

Back three at this age group seems to be well stacked.

Interestingly, I see McErlean is playing at 10 for Nure this weekend - might be an interesting spanner for the Irish 10 jersey (especially since Prendergast has played fullback for Lansdowne I believe - although he still has standing as last Summer's 20s outhalf)

Post edited by theVersatile on

Munster Academy Update has the Irish 20s playing Munster Development at the end of the month - 20s squad to be selected around now, may already have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Great on attack, his defence however is absolutely shocking, one of the worst ive seen for an AIL winger

Advertisement