Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EPH Ember

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

mneylon wrote: »
    Dumb question, but what's the skill called? I see two and neither come with much in the way of explanation of features

I installed both basic on/off functions for each zone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

mneylon wrote: »
    Dumb question, but what's the skill called? I see two and neither come with much in the way of explanation of features

Ember programmer is the one I think I used. Also Have the thermostats one but im Not sure that's what I want.

Got email from them last week mentioned a "MAJOR UPDATE" to the app so i updated and haven't noticed any improvements nothing nada zilch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

Since the update I have had a huge amount of Network errors. Update errors when changing temps. Sign in errors.
    On Android.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Had my first problem with the 'cloud service' today. 12 days in. Mmmmmm. Luckily the lockdown means I don't need to use it from outside the house. So it doesn't bother me too much. Yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Anybody else find the app temperamental lately? When trying to change the times on Auto it just spins and does not update

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

It keeps resetting the temperature for one of my zones. I'm thinking I'm going to have to reinstall from scratch in order to fix it.

Having issues now for a while setting boost on the app it's hit and miss have to be check at the gas boiler to get see if it's its on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seanvox

I've noticed that "EMBER Thermostats" is now showing up in the "Works with Google" section of the Google Home app. I've tried to add them to my Home but no joy. Has anyone been able to get this working?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

sean I've just set up my Ember app in our new home and ran into this problem. Google home says something like no Ember devices detected after I enter my credentials for Ember.

If they add google home I could actually schedule different temperatures for different times of day like any other "smart" heating system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

glancing through some of the comments on this thread, it looks like people are having a lot of issues with Ember and the app. Am I best avoiding this system? I have an EPH dual system already installed and was asking my plumber (who originally installed it) about going wireless. He said he would give me a quote to fit and supply the Ember version. Would I better off buying another system and getting it installed?

This is what I currently have...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Can you run the Ember w/o connecting to EPH services?

Planning to upgrade the heating controls to work with Home Assistant, and considering the ember, but want a solution that doesn't depend on the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

As far as I know all the smart heating systems are closed source with some small stuff exposed to public APIs. You'd need to do a lot of research to estabish which ones are best via HomeAssistant but I'd imagine you will always hit an issue that the commads are sent to their server rather than directly to your device.

Ember EPH has some support for sure but it still requires EPH server to continue to work (i.e. it's just using their APIs).

You could look into systems with WiFi / Zigbee / Z Wave support with some of the below: (I didn't!)

Control Boiler / Zone Valves:

• Sonoff TH10/16 / other smart relay(s) to turn on / off the boiler or zone valve(s) and hot water

Heat Water (if not Combi):

• Monitor the temperature of hot water cylinder if you have one (i.e. not Combi Boiler) via SONOFF TH10/TH16 with DS18B20 sensor(s)

Heating:

• Option 1: Smart TRV radiator valves that can make a call to activate the relays-zone valve (via Home Assistant possibly)
    • Option 2: Monitor the temperature of the room(s) with HomeAssistant Compatbile / smart / Zigbee / Z Wave Thermostat(s) (or add DS18B20 temperature monitors to the TH10/16 relays connected to the zone valves / boiler) that can make a call to activate the relays-zone valve.

Some users have gone down this route but it is very techy.

You can likely use HA to setup schedules for when the relays should turn on or setup the schedules for the TRV valves / thermostats and link the TRV valves to a specific relay-zone valve if you have more than one. Basically loads of ways to work it.

You would just need to make sure that you set it up properly, set the upper limits (i.e. turn off relay when >22deg) and timings correctly. There's a lot more you can break by doing it this way.

The other crowd you can look into are Vesternet, they have relays and thermostats and loads more. If you go with Z Wave / Zigbee you will need some gateway.

Relays:

Z-Wave Plus Secure Boiler Receiver HRT Gen5

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

one of my zones (hot water) has just stopped work. When I look at it in the app the hot water temp just shows “- -“

when I try to boost it nothing happens. Any ideas/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Without trying to sound like an ar$e, maybe flip the trip switch for the house for 5 mins and see if she restarts. Might be the stat on the pipe is kaput and you need another one otherwise.

Is the unit that shows the temp dead? Maybe it just needs new batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Mother in law has the EPH... Not a fan myself.

I have a Heatmiser system that has built in homekit functionality and an integration for home assistant (although you can link them via homekit too if you wish).

Let's me do all sorts of clever things with blinds closing based on temp and open windows preventing a temp drop leading to a call for heat from thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭yak

I have a dual zone heating system and an oil boiler.... I want to install a smart controller (with wifi) access for the heating system to provide remote control of the boiler. Ideally i'd like to be able to control individual rooms independently (so turn of radiator in guest bedroom when no guests are about), the best way of achieving that seems to be to have smart TRVs installed at each radiator, is that possible with Eph/Ember? If so does anyone have experience with them?

Is there any benefit of changing from Ember to a Climote?

Would a Climote thermostat be a simple substitute for the EPH one for water that is wired to the sensor on the tank or is it a balls?

Is the Climote even an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Got an EPH Ember system installed in the summer and only really starting to use it now. The problem is that the heating doesn't always turn on. We have three zones, upstairs, downstairs and hot water. At 5pm today I turned on the downstairs boost for an hour and the heating came on and turned off as it should. I just turned on the upstairs boost at 7pm and no heating.

This has been happening frequently. It's always the second time we turn it on in a day. We've tried turning it on from the app and on the control panel. The panel lights up for the correct zone but nothing happens. We continue turning it on and off and eventually it works. We're going to have someone look at it but Murphy's law it will all work correctly while they are here. Anybody else experience this?

At the risk of sounding insulting, is the temp set above the current temp when you try to boost it?

What happens if you just set a scheduled period instead, does it work then?

• Advertisement

I still have the Ember, but the thermostat for the water is located on the wall while a wire runs through the wall to the sensor on the tank. However, the batteries in the unit are dead and I can't take it off the backing plate more than a cm due to the wires. I don't just want to yank it out an rip the wires out. Any ideas how to replace the batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nongasman

Hi all, looking some advice please. Currently got EPH R37-HW with two wired thermostats and 1 wired HW thermostat.

Looking for out of home control and for simplicity looking at R37-RF with gateway. - should just be simple switch.

For those who’ve upgraded, did you just leave your existing EPH hardwired thermostats or disconnect them. For those who left them wired, can you use the RF thermostats in addition if they’re paired to the correct zone? Does this cause any issues.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭The devils

I got rid of all my eph stats and my wireless controller..the hub was too expensive and wireless stats to upgrade. Installed hive instead (black friday deal) no issues so far and a simple install 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I just woke up this morning and tried to turn on zone 1 (water) using the boost feature and noticed that the light in the panel didnt come on as it normally does.

I checked the app and there is no temperature displayed for zone 1 and there seems to be a low battery icon in the app as shown in the screenshot below.

The weird thing is that when i press zone 2, the light does come on and zone 2 temp (heating) is shown in the app

Any idea whats wrong here folks?

Never seen that battery icon before

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

All sorted, it was a battery in one of the thermostats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Hi,

am a new user to EPH Ember with 1 zone. During the Summer I want to turn off all the rads and boost an hour a day for hot water. But it seems that if the temp in the house is the same at the thermostat, the boost wont work?

Do I have to keep increasing the thermostat throughout the Summer so that the boost will work?

Maybe I am better off putting the immersion on a timer.

Branners

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

I take the batteries out of the thermostat and it works fine. Didn't realise it had got that warm already and was panicking that my boiler was broken. But I absolutely detest the Ember system, was sold a pup by my installer. As soon as I have spare cash I'm replacing it with a system that works properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dunnetd

Hi, my EPH unit has stopped communicating with my modem today and won't pair back, stuck on the green/red light. I tried the function and WPS button reset on the side but it just keeps saying no WiFi connection after flashing. Have reset in the past with power cut and always came back to green but not this time.

Can anyone advise how to solve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks a million that seems to have worked 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

My two zones are showing up now on my Google home app on my phone.

It shows the temp and I seem to be able to select from the Auto,On,Off options.

When I select the Heat option the temperature toggle opens up to be changed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement