Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas by oneself

• 15-11-2022 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Is there any point in decorating the place for Christmas if you're spending it on your own?

My family are narcissistic and abusive. My boyfriend is spending it with his own family.

I'm ok with Christmas on my own, it's a day to do nothing, watch what I want and I don't have any pressure or hassle of cooking for loads of people.

I'm just a bit meh about a Christmas tree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why didn't bf invite you to his family?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I had to do it once and didn't bother with a tree. I put out a few favourite and sentimental ornaments along with the crib. You do as you feel best with. Do what suits you. What others do, or would do, is immaterial.

Christmas by one's elf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Relax and enjoy the time off.

Play some Xmas music.

Have a nice meal all ready for yourself.

It's one day to forget about all the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Xmas alone = BLISS enjoy it and dont bother with the decorations one less chore, but do eat well on the day and maybe a nice bottle of wine !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Maybe try get yourself locked in a Marks and Spencer store on Christmas eve.

Come out on Stephens day , blind drunk , dressed up to the nines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Sounds mighty. Go for it. Wish I could do it. Be the one day of the year I could sit back and watch every single movie that I wanted to watch for a day, without some fool's arse of a noise article hounding me.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Actually opting for no decorations etc sounds quite liberating, it’s a free country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Gave my tree and remaining decorations to the local charity shop just today. I do most xmas days on my own and the decorating is just a hassle to put up and take back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

I wouldn't bother with a tree but I do love fairy lights so would definitely have some of them just for myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

A cousin of mine had a friend he met in school who spent Christmas alone after a breakup and ended up having some kind of psychotic break. His dad ended up busting in the front door to check on him, fearing the worst. They found him lying on the sitting room floor wearing just a dressing gown and eating his own sh1t. Spent the best part of a year recovering from that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s up to you to do whatever you want! Silly to put up decorations if you’re not into it. Personally I love Christmas and Christmas decorations and if spending the day by myself would probably have even more as they just make me happy to look at.

But if you feel meh about it why bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You should put up Halloween decorations for it. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

gee sure do what ever you like eh?! and enjoy..

OH likes a tree but if it wer not for him I wouldn't be bothered with it.. (cos the only place where we can put it, its still in the way imo).. I'm happy a lovely poinsettia, a few ornaments, cards and lots of candles.. hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

With you... It depends what Christmas means to you.. The Nativity. LIGHTS.... And for Auld Lang Syne, memories of family long gone. The Crib... A small artificial tree as I cannot get anywhere for a real one. An evergreen garland on the gate...A big Star to lead the way up the dark drive... Would love a poinsettia...may have hyacinths in flower... But here I celebrate as I can. with my memories and a quiet joy... Over the decades I have made my own....a connection with loved ones long gone .And seasonal food.... Knowing folk here have their families around them...That gives me such pleasure.. As I do mine in a differenr way. Thank you for this thread as it led me to say this.

LOVE it! And I have occasionally thought along those lines...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think do whatever you can to make yourself comfortable and happy FLC, you don't want to be maudlin or dwelling on the sh1tty family, don't let them in or win! Would you like to go with your boyfriend? is it an option? If not, then just decorate as you wish, have some lovely food and treats that you like in and make the most of the down time.

To the poster above and getting locked into M&S that needs to be made into a movie, best christmas ever!! Reminds me of the twitter thread, this is such a lovely read always makes me smile! https://twitter.com/richycraven/status/1332095349176086536?lang=en

And I will be here on Christmas Day... how about a joint celebration After Hours style?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work every Christmas day , Grace , in homeless residential services .

In the places I work in we always make there are quiet spots with no Christmas tree or decorations because residents have experienced dysfunctional Christmas because of family issues and others have never experienced Christmas at all.

However ,Marks and Spencers does seem a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Can you have friends (or family you like) over on the days around Christmas? e.g. Eve, or Stephen's, maybe for drinks or even for a meal? In that case you could do decorations and then still have the feeling of a Christmas event taking place. Or the bf could come over one of the evenings and you do a Christmas dinner together.

For me certainly Christmas is more the whole week; the day flies by (and it's hassle for the most part) but the really nice part of it is vegging on the couch for a week and eating and drinking loads. It's nice to have people over on the other days as it's less pressure.

A Christmas scented candle is actually all you need- it will provide a warm comforting feeling (assuming Christmas time is associated with happiness for you) - even if it’s not the aromas of cinnamon, pine etc are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mumo3

Great idea..... I would normally spend the evening on twitter using the hash tag #joinin its such a lovely conversation with other people who find themselves alone on Christmas day either by choice or circumstances. If you haven't seen it, keep an eye out this year its just such a nice thread.

me almost double that since my parents died. couple of years had invites but i don't know if people really want you. Sympathy or making themselves feel better. Don't do decorations. No interest in christmas or anyone to buy anything for. prefer to buy stuff i need anyway

Ah that is so lovely! Thank you. I know that here there will be tears at some stage as the day is so emotive. But my faith is strong and it will support, and of course the Nine Lessons and Carols on Christmas Eve...which have been with me for??? Gee is it THAT many years!!!!! I am ancient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

this will be my 17th xmas day on my own, i put up a little fake tree but more for any visitors over december than for me, you have a partner so it's only one day for you so enjoy the peace and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Do whatever makes you feel like doing Personally I wouldn't bother with a tree but just chill out get in some food you like .I know I am being nosey but is your boyfriend alright with you being alone on the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ll be having Christmas by myself. And quite happy about it. Dinner will be a large steak , gravy, mash , sprouts . And since i live by myself its normal. Im not a Christmas fan since i was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Tippman24

I used to go to my sister for my Christmas dinner, but due to Covid two years ago missed that annual treat. Last year was the same. Came to the conclusion that I prefer my own company on Christmas Day so hoping that no invitation is forthcoming. Steak with onions and spuds suits me better anyway. Then the old tradition of "The Blues Brothers" that night. (For the previous few years I formed the impression that my nieces did not want me in the house anyway.) Christmas Day to me is a day to be endured rather than enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Advertisement