Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Feck, that's a right sickener now...very sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really sorry to hear this A, hope you get sorted🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Sorry to hear that, hope you're doing OK.

I was following your training closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

I hear ya! Onwards and upwards! The training will stand to you! And I know how you feel! I’m an 85% drop out at the moment. Only a miracle healing will get me to run Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Awful luck. The closer to the day this stuff happens the worse it is. Get yourself better anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Oh no. I’m gutted for you. That is awful news. Are you totally ruled out or do you think you might possibly be ok to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Ah man that's cruel. Very sorry to hear! Best of luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Really sorry to hear that Alan. Very tough to take with the consistant quality and volume of your training...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Can't believe I've read that. Really really gutted. The work you've put in.

As others have asked, are you totally ruling things out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Balls. Sorry to read that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I come back on here only to be met with this disappointing news 😭 in all seriousness though, you're in a great space head-wise about it. Onwards and upwards pal.

Post edited by healy1835 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Ah no! Very sorry to read this, hope all goes ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Runster

I know exactly how you feel, I got an abscess like that on Christmas day. I ended up on two really strong antibiotics at the same time because

the inflammation was so bad. You could actually heat your hand from my cheek without even touching it, it was a mad infection. Then I got it drained but didn't get the tooth out or get the root canal straight away.

What happened? I ended up in the same scenario a month later except this time the dentist wanted to send me to St James hospital it was so bad.

Whatever you do, get the tooth itself treated as soon as possible.

It would be possible to run the marathon but you may still be on antibiotics and not sure if you got the tooth itself treated yet?

There's probably a chance of causing it to come back with a vengeance if you run with the tooth not treated.

All the energy required to run the marathon will be stopping the healing and you could end up in a very bad way.

Post edited by Runster on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Gutted to read this, get yourself on the mend and hopefully see you at Jingle Bells

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

On DCM Day as I was relaying all the difficult runs (aka Carnage) that I had seen on Strava to my family - my daughter asked me was I secretly relieved not to have done it.

The answer was NO - I would have loved it to have ran it and tested myself against the course and the conditions. Anyway - I didn't and we move on.

Just some easy runs around end Oct/early Nov - still a bit 'meh' - Not running DCM was the correct decision for my health.

On Thursday 3rd Nov - I had a 35min moderate run + 5x30 secs strides - this went very well - I was doing 7 min/miles and feeling amazing.

Sat 5th Nov: 12.1 miles at 7.20 per mile ave

I took a rest day on Friday and due to some work stuff - I done my long run on Sat - this was a 60min Moderate run - I ran 15min to the PP (7.45 pace) then a lap of the park and upto Myo's - 60 mins - about 8 miles at 7.05 pace ave - Legs felt good - got a bit tough on the uphill 2nd half but seen it out. 15 mins easy to finish.

Sun 6th: Easy few miles recovery - 4.5m at 8.05 pace.

Monday 7th: 20x1min on/off

Getting back into it - found this tough as it went along - the float recoveries got slower but the 'On' rep was always quality.

9.5m / 7.09 ave

Tuesday 8th/Wed 9th: Work event - I took ownership for arranging a group of 30 coming from far & wide to Dublin.

Plenty of work, food and drink - intermingled with a fantastic 3 hour walking tour of Dublin and a trip to the Jameson Tour in Smithfield.

Thursday 10th: 5 mile easy run - very tired after the 2 days.

Time to look at some goals for 2023:

Right now, MOJO is a bit 'meh' - a large training block with no 'meaningful' reward has left me a bit flat.

3 goals for me in 2023 - Sub 36 / Sub 80 / Sub 2.50 - I've been talking about these for a few years - so time to attempt it!!

Currently thinking that my main Marathon will be Valencia in Dec '23. I'll do DCM '23 - but this will be a similar run to my 40km run in preparation for DCM this year - it would be satisfying to get a DCM PB in a training run - but this is a long way away.

Upcoming races:

Jingle Bells - Bit of Fun

Raheny - Not a goal race.

Trim - Under 61 should be an indication of Sub 80 shape - 5-6 weeks out from Bohermeen.

Bohermeen HM - Goal Race: Sub 80 attempt 1

Dunboyne 10k - Goal Race: Sub 36 attempt 1 (2 weeks after Bohermeen)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Decent looking plan there and rightly the marathon plan is way out there so its a bit tentative....

Enjoy some low pressure racing in the short term although knowing you you'll still put pressure on yourself!

I was wondering if I would see you at the masters indoors (nationals and/or Leinster) next year. Doesn’t seem like.

an honest approach in trim. Depending on how training goes and if it doesn’t clash with anything I am always happy to pace 🙂. Just putting that out there. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Mate, I think you made a mistake by doing the 40km ‘training run’ it was out of kilter from the rest of your training and you paid the price.

You began to encounter all of your issues shortly thereafter.

Looking forward to AMK’s response to that 😁.

personally I’d say there was nothing wrong with that 40k run. Could have done with a bit slower but overall not really. And the build up to it was there (from what I can tell). Think there is a debate out there that says “runners get their best marathon race 6 weeks after a failed marathon race”. Seeing the 40k run was 6 weeks out, I’d say I see why it’s been on the plan.

interesting debate though (perhaps) 😁

I'm always interested in others opinions and generally don't get defensive - so I'm all ears on this.

In fairness - you aren't wrong - I got a bad headcold soon afterwards, driven primarily by my wife and 2 daughters all being on antibiotics for similar. I didn't go down the antibiotic route as it would have knocked my training.

The abscess came as a result of a chipped tooth 6-7 weeks previously, I didn't act on it and bacteria built up, causing infection.

So for my illnesses, there's context. I accept that my immune system may have been lower as a result of the 40k run.

The 'thing' with the 40k run is that it is used by all my coaches' athletes with good success. He follows a Canova type approach, modified for hobby joggers like myself.

I'm very interested to hear your approach to Marathon training - your posts on my log prior to DCM certainly perked my interest.

• Advertisement

And he/she did commit to coming back after DCM to engage on this very subject...let's have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Maybe g00gLe (or whoever that guy was) has made a comeback too 😛😂 it is the fashionable thing to do on this forum these days you know...

In Fairness @Taxes said he/she will give feedback after AMK completed dcm. Since he didn’t, he can’t give feedback 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Lads, I have a full-time job and I need to thoroughly review AMKs training logs over the last 3 months with a critical -eye so I have data to substantiate my points. I’ll post before the week is out.

I remember reading AMKs post on here at the time and thinking that the 40km was overkill and not aligned with his overall training program.

I have no doubt that your coaches may use 40km runs for many of the athletes that they coach. But how did they build up to this run? Canova has said a good training program should be structured like a series of interconnected steps which are small. I agree with this approach. it’s my view that you took a large step with this run and that tipped you over the thin red-line we all walk as athletes.

I also just want to say that I admire runners like AMK who manage to fit a good training regime in and around their work and family life . I don’t want to come across as disrespectful.

Re-Setting here.

Had a bit of a break last week - 2 sessions in amongst 2x2days of not running - a grand total of 23 miles done last week.

My plan is to train for HM and tick off the 5m & 10m along the way - no expectation of PB's in these but do expect a PB in the HM in March and hopefully will have enough for the 10k 2 weeks after that.

A Canova approach again for this with a smidgin of Tom Scwartz. I've never trained specifically for a HM previously, so excited by this.

Monday: Legs were tired from a 2 day trip to London (thankfully No shopping) - easy enough 45min loop today.

5.7m / 8.04 pace

Tuesday: Session - 6x90sec @5.40 / 6x30sec @ 5.30/ 4x10sec FAST

Ran 2.5m WU to the path on C'Field in PP - connecting the Aras to CK Gate. Somewhat lit here, but I was lit up like a C'Mas tree.

The 90sec reps were faster than I've done in a while - typically I've been at 6's or 5.50's - and the 10 second difference to 5.40 were felt! Recovery here was 7.30-7.45 pace.

Prior to the session, I was wondering why only 6 reps - but was glad it was only 6 (I could have done more, but would have been sorer).

The 6x30 secs - I really focused on form - run tall and good arm swing - again, trying to keep recoveries under 8's.

4x10 secs is a fast sprint but controlled - difficult to monitor pace as its over so quick - but they were fast :) - not too focused on quicker floats here.

2.5m CD home.

8.8m total with tired legs that evening.

What I find interesting with you or swashbuckler is that you seem to try all those books, methods, approaches etc but neither gives that kipchoge build up a go (adjusted to own pace and at the end of good base builder that probably requires 6months of continuous and controlled training).

why is that?

I wouldn't dare approach a program designed for an elite without the guidance of a very good coach.

Even with a coach - if you strip down a program where 120m per week are the norm - the sessions would look totally different.

I'm quite ok with Jack Daniels - which I know is very effective for me - especially at shorter distances. I've used this extensively for past 3-4 years with a couple of deviations where I had 2 different coaches. If I wasn't being coached now - I'd be following a JD plan more than likely.

My current coach follows a Canova/Tinman approach, adapted for us mortal's that has shown success with his crop of Athletes.

oh I wouldn’t dare doing the elite plan on elite mileage. I would probably bring it down to time rather than distance. As in if the elite spends 10hrs running covering 150miles I would probably still spend 10hrs but cover a lot less distance. Not sure if the benefit is the same though but definitely something that’s in the back of my mind: one day I will go through that plan and see how a mortal can cope 😂. But for that day to come the little one needs to be a bit older

You've pigeon holed me completely there 🤣...I had a coach for 4 years, one Daniels plan and the rest self coached but same principles that luke applied. I read books but haven't applied any of the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

To be fair the question seemed... underdeveloped? Maybe @babacool can phrase it in a different way?

Advertisement