Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living in remote areas

• 03-11-2022 10:16pm

Do you think people can live alone in remote areas and maintain their sanity? I'm talking about remote areas of Alaska and Australia where there aren't any people for hundreds of miles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Of course they can. It just requires a particular personality type.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

There is a regular poster on boards who lives a fairly remote life on one the islands as far as I know. Maybe she will see your thread and comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't think it's in any way similar. Regular groceries and fuel delivered to the door, mains electricity, postal service, internet and mobile phone service and neighbours walking distance down the road. To live a truly isolated existence takes much more effort and a strong mental fortitude.

Whether somebody living, as in the OP, for years would be sane probably depends on the definition of sanity. At the very least they may become distinctly odd from zero social interaction.

I spent a year in British Columbia in 2019. There are many deserted islands with plenty of trees and wild life to live a very remote existence. Some areas of northern British Columbia have a population density of less than 0.5 per km2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here!

I am totally alone, apart from my cats. Supplies come in at my gate every two weeks but I see no one week in week out and am housebound. There is no interchange or conversation. As that would destroy solitude.

Everyone however solitary has to eat so all are in some kind of communication with others. Unless they can hunt etc.

And in younger days I was more able...

I selected this island carefully as I sought intense solitude; there has to be safety.... The others were indeed far too cosy and populated. Last time I saw anyone face to face? Literally weeks... .and weeks... and weeks.... One phone contact, email variable but not for social interaction ever. And that is what defines solitude...

However solitary you are you have to eat etc and in Ireland offshore islands are very well cared for. Especially near octagenarians.. As we should be. The time is past when island folk died with treatable illnesses and lack of transport. eg the Inishkeas and Blasket. And they were not solitaries.

. I have lived very deep rural and on islands here and in the UK for nearly 40 years. It is not something to be undertaken lightly and is not for everyone. If is it is not right then yes it would deeply affect mental health. My own solitude is intense. And if it is the right place for you then you will stay saner than many others - and than you would be in a village setting. I am five fields away from the nearest folk and they deeply respect my chosen way of life. .. Not been offisland or away from my home or seen anyone here for literally years. Email is actually a great boon for true solitaries. No real contact that would disrupt solitude.

It is a totally different mindset and fulfilment and words like fortitude are totally mistaken and inappropriate. We sood olitaries would not survive outside our deep isolation. It is our home as hermits have known thoughout the ages, and it is the mindset that leads us apart. And blesses and protects us. However primitive it may seem ...

And having access to services does not mean using them. The very minimum needed for survival and health

We live solitude as our chosen lifeblood.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

*checks if people live in remote areas mentioned by OP...

Yup... they do, thread can be closed now👍

A very revealing post and completely off the mark and erroneous... Deep solitude does involve fortitude however it is lived...BUT

for someone of that mindset the opposite is true. Fortitude for a solitary would be to be forced to live among others. I could not do it. Solitude when right is a blessing... May look else to the observer..I have not been in the same room as another person for... years... and very limited use of internet etc. Not offisland.

And of course everyone has to eat etc. But social interaction? No. None. By choice and vocation.

I have lived far greater and more intense solitude than I do now in younger days and chose this island very carefully, as it is the nearest fulfilment i can achieve and a far cry from my past life here and in the UK. And walking five fields is totally beyond me! May as well be a hundred miles . And this is respected. We are so few out here now and I have no social ineraction and yes need to have great fortitude. Deep isolation does not mean anything else...

But all so little understood of course as is seen here..

It is a mindset. Pure and simple... lived out as we can. I rejected most islands as they are busy places! Came out here as I can live my isolation fully here. As I do. Within safety. THAT is what confuses ... Thinking that there is no safety or sense in a solitary life in a remote place... We who live this life are rare. The dedication is, " I could live no other life. "

A fascinating topic. Thank you .

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would love to. I see documentaries about Alaska, about Australia etc where folks live in true solitude. Australian one recently the house was a farm that was 100km to the next house. Bliss.

• Advertisement

Many in cities live in factually greater actual isolation.

Oh for sure. We're out rural in wexford now with cattle and fields for neighbors. However we know the people living "across the road" and the next house down etc. They came over and introduced themselves!

When I lived in towns or that you don't know anyone.

I'm definitely a fan of living out in the middle of nowhere. With WFH and internet discussion being so prevalent there's literally no blocker anymore. I'm working on going off grid too.

Exaclty! Modern inventions facilitite chosen isolation - and ease non chosen. Off grid! Great... There was a TV series on that.. Were I younger and in good health. We all sometimes have to compromise. And for me it is the sheer peace and separation. NB I Lived off grid my first while out here. wonderful, but it involved far more interaction than was right for my mindset and other non-material needs. I keep looking at Inishkea and Inishglora... wishing you all power in your plans.... .... I use the phone maybe twice a week as email is far more less interaction than the phone. Compromise is a sad fact of life... All good luck....

Wonderful thread as always good to think and define. When you gt the chance to follow your heart...

There are youtubes on a lady called Agafya Lykova that will have you riveted! and again as we do in these times there is always the safety and rapprochement. Her story helped me hugely when I knew I had to live less apart for safety and consideration. Or rather live apart in a different way which is more possible in Ireland than in the overpopulated UK, and this island has a population barely into double figures now so solitude and separation work.. Thank you for reminding me!

It was a hard time for me but vital as for her. The body cannot always follow the heart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Perhaps a cultural compromise? You could first try living in a rural area. Rent a small house or cabin for a year? Ever heard of the Lost Coast on the North Pacific shore of California where there are the very tall redwood forests? You can shop for cheap rents, walk or ride to groceries on bicycle or horse, and frequent hikes into uninhabited, wild forests.

There are several Pacific beaches with few if any people about, and the wetsuit vest surfing and kayaking are great. Of course, the Lost Coast has poor employment opportunities, unless you are qualified and lucky to get a job with Cal Poly Humboldt University, a school that’s heavily focused on environmental science and engineering, including oceanography.

Then again, you could try distance online employment connecting by satellite (or through small rural town internet) if you have the requisite skills?

Just a thought.

Please don;t get me started on Alaska! I fell head over heels in love after seeing a TV series!

But here is good too... That stretch of water between island and mainland is a great protection!

Just out of hospital and sinking back into the peace of my chosen solitude. many are in total solitude without wanting to be as I was for decades. Solitude and loneliness are worlds apart . Now I choose to live alone.

Oh my dear; you have no idea! The thread is not about no facilities ... roflol... And you have several things totally inaccurate on your list. Again.. Mr Hodge aka Srameen are you spying on me? You seem obsessed,, PLEASE STOP. ti

Long ago I said something that offended you. I DID apologise but?

How about we meet? Sort this out? Has to be outside my home and with witnesses of course. email me? Bless you!

We are I think 12 out here. A combination of old families and new residents, eg summer birds,,I know one family well... He is our ferryman and a good friend. Oh and his brother. One meeting with one other. That is fine, Occasionally someone needs something of me and I give that gladly. But we are not in and out of each others houses. Privacy has a deeper meaning and relevance on small islands of course.

A grossly inaccurate post. You have no idea how I live out here. Post reported as you persist in personal attacks on me.

Yes we're not in and out of each others houses or pockets either. I hate people! They came over to introduce themselves but that's it. I could literally go for days or weeks without sight nor sound of another human (except for my own family, mrs and 2 kids) beyond the delivery woman if I wanted. I frequently do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're described dependable regular human contact though, which is pretty much the opposite of what the OP is clearly asking about?

the OP wouldn't be envisioning a situation where someone also has a dependable enough internet connection to be a regular on a discussion forum, i suspect.

No re dependable regular contact. I rarely see or am in touch with any other person one week to the next. Else total isolation /solitude. They have their lives and families and there is no way I will intrude or be welcome. Or welcome that.

Today for example I will email my shopping list over to the supermarket. Later in the week supplies will be left outside my field gate. Needful as I am signficantly disabled and it would take too long for me to get to the gate in person. These are busy folk That is my total "contact" until next week

Depends what you mean by sanity and also on the reason for the isolation which in mst cases is chosen and thus has the ability to be quit and these days that kind of isolation would have to be steadfastly and deliberately chosen. Most places do have some kind of infrequent contact for eg medical reasons eg Australia's radio network. And out here where we are very few and far apart and most with no means of contact. After seven years I still have not met all the dozen or so islanders. We each know the others exist but not more than that. And in remote eg Alaska there is a strong network to check on others, as we have here. BUT we do not intrude on each other's privacy. That is sacroscant.Any contact is chance and outside.

NB Maybe you are not aware that there are several interent groups and lists etc devoted to and for contact between Vowed Solitaries? I have been involved in and contributed to several over the decades of my own chosen/enforced isolation. we support each other in many ways.. There are degrees and variations of isolation and solitude. Have a look at the Association of Solitaries and other such support groups? The Churches involve and support. But we are basically Solitary to various degrees. It is a well establised lifestyle as it has been for centureis eg the Desert Fathers. If your reference is someone choosing to cut off all human contact? Then that is rare and not healthy. But if a person chooses that then that is their right and need. OK I am off! Too much company for one go. Oh and yes we are ALLOWED some company ... I have a Spiritual Director as most of us do to make sure we stay safe. But face to face contact is rare. By design

Advertisement