Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer 40k Darktide (makers of vermintide)

• 23-07-2020 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

4 players coop shooter.

Vermintide was very good (1 and 2) so will get this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hopefully it's not just hordes of Nurgle zombies, Left 4 Dead style.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Vermintide's a lot of fun, and there was a marked improvement (IMHO) from the first to the second which suggests to me that these devs (Fat Shark) are no slouches. Definitely excited to see more of this over the coming months, I'm a big 40K fan and it's so rare you get to be a (what looks like) a bog standard human in a 40K game! Stomping around as a SPESS MAHREEN is all fine and well, but sometimes you want the challenge and frailty of being an Imperial Guard grunt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Was watching this and thought "huh, that looks like a Plasma gun hehe....wait, thats a ****ing Lasgun!"

Really looking forward to this, Vermintide was good fun, probably the best FPS melee combat around so hope Fatshark can bring that feeling to ranged weapons. Though the game did start to feel very repetitive after several dozen hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Though the game did start to feel very repetitive after several dozen hours.

Kinda thought the same then I visited the reddit page, clearly I was playing the game wrong. There are things in that game i had and still have no clue about. Its a lot deeper than urrhhh smash smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

vermintide with a new skin, nothing too exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I need more 40K, will be buying. Fatshark have proven they are well capable of doing great coop with both vermintide games.
    I would've prefered Orks, but Waaaaaghtever.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If you need a 40K fix, there's a whole heap of older Games Workshop games in a Humble Bundle Don't forget, there's a Necromunda game from the people that made Mordheim due any time now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

So you're Imperial Soldiers in this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BeerWolf wrote: »
    So you're Imperial Soldiers in this?
    Looks like bog standard local defence forces (i.e. a step below the Imperial Guard) with flashlights (i.e. standard laser rifle) sent in to investigate; instead of say the actual forces of the Inquisition or an Inquisition warband. Honestly I find that a pity because an Inquisition entourage would allow a very wide set of possible roles and even races to play out with fansy wargear (while still not being Astartes power armor marines)...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I liked Space Hulk: deathwing which this seems to supercede and stamp into the ground.

This is 100% day one purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm honestly disappointed that they simply made Vermintide 2 with a new skin instead of actually develop the game play. Oh hey we're meleeing our enemies down with some shooting, oh and the chaos types are nurgle (AGAIN!). Exactly what's different compared to vermintide again except the skins?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nody wrote: »
    I'm honestly disappointed that they simply made Vermintide 2 with a new skin instead of actually develop the game play. Oh hey we're meleeing our enemies down with some shooting, oh and the chaos types are nurgle (AGAIN!). Exactly what's different compared to vermintide again except the skins?

I agree, i love vermintide 2 in particular but this looks like a mod or a reskin.
    To counter this thought however if they improve the combat make it feel more meaty and impactful i might jump in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

dreamers75 wrote: »
    /snip

I liked Space Hulk: deathwing which this seems to supercede and stamp into the ground.

This is 100% day one purchase.

Didn't know there were Hulking humans in the Guard, or in General...? :p

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Didn't know there were Hulking humans in the Guard, or in General...? :p
    I guess you never tried to shake hands with an Ogryn then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Release date set for September 13th this year.

Looks like we'll be hearing something at the Skulls event which starts on Wednesday. Fatshark are counting down to that date anyway!

I'll spare you videos 3 to 1. Suffice to say we'll be seeing a new trailer and/or gameplay later today.

New cinematic trailer will have to suffice for now. There'll be some gameplay at Summer Games Fest next week, according to the pinned YT comment.

Forgot to add, this is coming to PC GamePass but I don't know if that's for day 1 or not.

• Advertisement

And confirmed to have pay for money premium currency for the in game store, not overly impressed by that...

Yeah, not a fan in general but this is for cosmetics only, AFAIK.

Edit: From an FAQ on the official site;

The Imperial Edition contains ‘Aquilas’, a premium currency. Does this mean there will be microtransactions in Darktide?

Aquilas are a premium currency that can be used to purchase premium cosmetic items in the in-game store.

Wait… I have to buy all cosmetics?

Nope. The in-game store will not be the only way for players to attain cosmetics. Players will also be able to earn some cosmetics through in-game milestones, such as progressing through certain points of the story.

Will you only sell cosmetics in the in-game store?

We will focus on cosmetics at launch - but we also are open to other offerings and will look to players feedback to evolve that over time. For example, Vermintide 2 players were happy with the Forgotten Relics weapon pack introduced alongside an entirely free Game Mode. This is not something we currently plan for in Darktide, but we don’t want to limit ourselves, either.

At launch; you know they are highly likely to add "time savers to catch up to your friends" etc. as the game gets older. I don't think it will be as egregious as Diablo immortal ("Hi, I heard you want to spend 100k USD to get the top tier damage, mods, health modifers etc. unlocked for ONE class? No problem..." and yes that's the actual cost but it would only take you a decade or two to do it FTP in a PvP game...) but the fact they include it from the start in a fully costed game rubs me the wrong way and puts it in "bargain bin purchase only" status.

Official gameplay trailer from SGF;

Gameplay recorded from a Twitch stream;

Dev Blog on Steam has some good info.

Full mission play through with two characters.

I watched the first 5 min before starting to speed skip as I was bored; I'm not quite sure what's not clicking but it seems very generic in models, the voices grate on me and I think it all sums up to not "feeling" like anything beyond generic. You could replace WH40k with pretty much anything else and you'd not notice the difference, the weapons are not in any way iconic etc. nor are the enemies, the environment etc. for me. I was expecting a reskin; instead this to me looks worse than Vermintide which is not what I was expecting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For anyone who pre ordered you get access to the final beta in a few days leading up to release on the 30th.

Worth mentioning as anyone who played vermintide will know this is a chellenging game with a very high skill ceiling and a lot of underlying mechanics.

This vid is a good place to learn more.

• Advertisement

Nice to see milkandcookies still making content - used to watch a lot of his Total War stuff.

Really looking forward to this, but my PC is currently in no fit state to do any gaming so it might be after Christmas before I can jump in. 🙄

Advertisement