Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VPN type protocal that will ALLOW broadcast traffic

• 26-05-2005 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I managed to set up a VPN between two machines but the application we are using needs to do an initial broadcast on a certain port in order to make a connection. After the connection has been made, it sends unicast UDP.

VPN blocks all broadcast traffic so our application won't work. Is there an alternative? I'm using a Windows 2003 Server and the client is Win XP.

If there is no alternative would it be possible to intercept broadcast packets from the application before they reach the VPN tunnel and convert them to unicast packets directed to a specified IP?

Any help would be great, I'm pulling my hair out here. :(
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

OpenVPN did the job.

http://openvpn.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Just about to suggest it until i saw your reply. Great bit of software ....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

I posted this question last night on this forum, but cannot see it now - so pardon me if this is a duplicate.... perhaps it got moved or I did something silly!!

I'm trying to view live streams, recorded videos, and set timers, etc on my ZGemma H7S (OpenVix 6.2) from my Android phone. Because of security concerns, I don't want to open many ports on my home router (with a static address). Instead, I'm trying to setup OpenVPN to do that.

I believe I have loaded the config files on the ZGemma box and have OpenVPN running - (Setup/Network/Utilities, OpenVPN - Autostart: Enabled; Current Status: Running)

I loaded "OpenVPN Connect" on my Android phone and I believe I have that running fine too (it indicates "Connected") and the number of bytes in and out are incrementing as I use the phone.

I have the "dream EPG Premium" app on my phone and I used to use it reasonably successfully - streaming live TV and video recordings from my previous STB (Tiviar Alpha - running OPenATV 6.3). But as I mentioned, I don't want to continue to use that app, coz I have to open a bunch of ports on my router.

My question is: What App do I use, or how do I safely "tunnel in to my ZGemma" from my Android phone to view live streams & recorded videos, set timers, etc, etc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I moved your post out to a new thread, because you went digging up a 17 year old thread. Keep to the new thread, I'm closing this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement