Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If it's worth doing, do it right!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

SOOOOOO, like every bad smell i have returned!! I've had a very frustrating 15-18 months with knee issues that at one point had me in near tears just walking. The last 3-4 weeks i've managed some consistent running getting 4 runs a week in then managing 5 this week. Its all very easy stuff but the positive thing is the knee has held up during and after runs with minor pain now and then after periods of sitting with my leg bent inwards.

I'm managing/trying to keep the sitting at a minimum as a result, we've been challenged at work to set ourselves a fitness goal for the next three months with the culmination date being Valentines week 2023. So me being a runner, i have chosen to try run a sub 19:30 5k in that time. I will only be doing easy runs and a steady run a week come December to try achive the target, if i don't make it i won't be losing sleep ,its just nice to have a challenge to see if i can make it.

I'll log my runs here once a week to keep myself honest also, nothing like the folks on Boards to take the wind out a mans sails😄😄. I will keep the running at 5 days a week with one day in the gym to keep the leg exercises/strengthening up.

Monday 7.11.2022

Rest Day, as per normal

Tuesday 8.11.2022

5.30miles Easy@8.53min/miles in 47mins 08secs

A very handy loop around the Malieveld and Haagsche Bos, couldn't get over the level of humidity in the air for early November.

Wednesday 9.11.2022

6.20miles Easy@8.53min/miles in 55mins 09secs

The weekend long run on Wednesday as i'm working weekend night shift, again in around the Malieveld and Haagsche Bos past the Dutch Royal residence today and up towards the Clingendael and back towards home. Cool morning but one think that hasn't changed with my running is the amount of perspiration😁.

Thursday 10.11.2022

Rest Day.

Friday 11.11.2022

5.90miles Easy@8.48min/miles in 52mins

A slightly hungover yet enjoyable run, the usual route as previous days, the Haagsche Bos is a true joy to run in, full of wildlife, birds, ponds, big imposing trees and miles upon miles of trails to use.

Saturday 12.11.22

3.70miles Very Easy@9.21min/miles in 34mins 40secs

A very easy run in the morning sun, loop around Scheveningse Bosjes today on the cycle paths.

Sunday 13.22.2022

3.65miles Faster@8.14min/miles in 30mins 06secs

Same loop as yesterday only over a min/mile quicker to see if the knee could maintain more than a very very easy plod. Enjoyed this immensely as did the knee, dipped well below 8min/miles on occasions and it felt great to get the legs turning over that bit more. Good to see some life left in the legs still!!

24.75 miles for the week, 5 runs more importantly, with three days of consecutive running also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Nice to see you back logging B. I hope you hit your goal and the knee behaves itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great to see you back! I think you'll destroy that 19:30 by then. Hopefully everything holds together...including the buttons on your shirt which looked to be under pressure recently 🤣

I won't argue, a few pounds need to be shed but having two very sporty children, a dog who needs loads of walking, 5-6 miles of cycling most days has kept the belly somewhat in shape over the idle months of no running!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

We're getting the band back together around these parts it seems! I could have done with being a Postie over the summer 😛 great to see you back pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see things coming back together for you B. and to see your log dusted off is the icing on the cake. Best of luck with the challenge ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Welcome back! here's hoping the knee behaves & best of luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great stuff, it was nice seeing these runs pop up on Strava again so good to hear things are going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you back logging B😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ah this is great to read. Had noticed the pick-up in runs alright. Take her handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Boards return number three in the space of a week! Seems like my Christmas is coming early this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the comeback B!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome back, B! Great to see the recent running activity and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great stuff B - super to see you back posting and finally making a bit of progress on the running front.

2022 can fcuk right off from a running perspective for me!!! I ran the paltry total of 323.5 miles over the 12 months of the year! The knee issue accounted for periods off the road but there was a lot of laziness and general lack of motivation thrown in there also.

COVID-19 hit when I was in the shape of my life, I train/live to race like us all and I’m still feeling the affects of not being able to race for nigh on two years, the motivation dwindled slowly till it became zero. The want to run/train is back thankfully so let’s see what 2023 brings me.

The Valencia marathon in December is the only goal, just to get to the start line is all I want, to feel that buzz of a big city marathon once more, Köln is a long time ago now. There will be no time goals as it stands, just the start line is all I want, I’ll need to start things slowly and hopefully progress will be smooth with no hiccups(that’s fingers crossed of course).

Happy New Year to you all & I plan on being around a lot more in 2023, may all your running goals be successful ones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Best of luck for 2023, great to see you still in the game.

I'm in for Valencia too, so definitely going to be following your journey.

Cheers D, seems to be a few off here heading to Valencia so hopefully we can gather a few for refreshments after!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's a great goal to have, you have tons of time to train for it! Best of luck with running in 2023 B, you definitely deserve a break 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Looking forward to following your comeback B and wish you the very best with it. Bring it on!

Thank you very much AM & E, first run of the year this morning but I’ll tell ye all about that on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Great to see the log starting back up again B.

I'm right with you in terms of being in great shape pre-covid and a dip in confidence/motivation throughout the pandemic. Hopefully, better days are ahead.

Best of luck with all your running for the year ahead!

Thanks a million K, you've hit the ground running from looking at Strava, long may it continue.

Monday 2.1.23

Rest Day, was working from Stephens Day right through to New Years Day so a few beverages were planned!!

Tuesday 3.1.23

5.45miles Easy@9.08min/miles in 49mins 48secs

A very, very hungover run!! The Troops were doing a snow boarding camp for the week In Zoetermeer and i had researched running spots in the area. Turns out the location they were was Zuid Hollands answer to The Alps!! I suffered on this, the bumps were torture as the drink tried coming out in reverse on a few occasions, but as the run went on the it got easier to traverse the mountains of Van Buytenpark. I knew i had to do the exact same all over again tomorrow in the same condition!!

Wednesday 4.1.23

3.65miles Easy@8.42min/miles in 31mins 50secs

I left the mountains alone today and decided on a very flat run closer to home around Scheveningse Bosjes, suffering less than the day before and knew the previous nights drinking would be the last one for the foreseeable future.

Thursday 5.1.23

7.10miles Easy@8.41min/miles in 61mins 39secs

Again around the hills of Van Buytenpark in Zoetemeer but able to appreciate the location much more today, the place is a haven for wildlife, pheasants, hares, cormorants and kestrels abound with a view all over Den Haag and surrounding areas on a clear day like today.

I had a hospital appointment later that afternoon to have a lump removed from the male nether regions(benign thankfully) that i was dreading!! I get to the hospital early, hoping that it would be some old male doctor who is going to perform the procedure. No such bloody luck, greeted by a very attractive nurse who shows me a changing room and gives me instructions to strip from the waist down then knock on the door and i will be looked after.

So knock on the door and greeted by an even more attractive Doctor and another nurse. Of all days for me not to be at my best below the waist!!! So i lie on my back and the Doctor swivels around on her chair and says something to me in Dutch, i explain my Dutch isn't the best, she takes out a needle and explains shes going to inject me 4 times to numb the area, fcuk me i like to think i have a fairly high pain threshold but nothing hits you like four injections in the ballbag!!! The operation was over and done in 30 minutes, with strict instructions on no physical behaviour/exercise of any kind for a week.

Friday 5.1.23 - Sunday 8.1.23

Enforced rest

19.00 miles for the week that was going well up until Thursday, but it goes without saying health is much more important than a past time. The knee held up to three days running in a row which is huge positive from this week, i'll get back out again next week when the pain has eased between the legs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Only a week into the new year and we have the Post of the Year! I can't wait to read all the innuendo filled replies about B's Bulging Ballbag 🤣🤣

Nothing bulging about it Thursday afternoon unfortunately!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jaysus Barry, you timed that comeback well. 😮 Thanks for all the information! Recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Better than any training update...hilarious 😂 . This is why you were missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yikes, looks like you have enough material there for a top shelf notch movie. Best of luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

"Physical behaviour"? Is that what they call it over there? 😂

• Advertisement

That’s how the Doctor put it, I was going to ask her does that mean the ride but figured she wouldn’t have a breeze what I was on about!!!

Advertisement