Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

irelands fittest family

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am an episode behind but I have said it before and will say it again that the mother ir sister of any family should not be on the toughest rope in the lake ball carryng contest.

There was team and there mother got into the barrel on it while the lads on the easier rope only managed 5 each. Now imagine she had of been on any of the other 3 robes and one of the lads on the toughest Rope she would have go at least 4 maybe even 5 in and the same with the lad on the toughest Rope then so they would have had at least another 2 in the barrels not that it mattered that much as I think they have this round won.

I know if I was doing that with my family and my Mum was there is no way in hell I would let her go on that rope (Now it's never going to happen because my mother is in hers 70s and would never be able to do it) Give it 20 or 30 years ago do and it would have been no bother to her. All the boys and men who let there mother or sister take the toughest Rope should be ashamed of themselves.

For once I would love to see a bit of logical independent thinking not the drone thinking they are all going for on this part of the show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That final ramp in quarter final eliminator this week was brutal.

Again just goes to show you it's all about not having the weakest family member. Some of them it literally ends with them dragging their ma around practically by the scalp!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Finnegans Wicklow family have to be nailed on favourites to go through tonight in 1st place - having smashed the tyres, and being so light for hanging tough.

Although in that rain, hanging at all must be nearly impossible!

Poor Nina the exact opposite - heavyweights will never manage the hanging.....

ETA got my family names confused!

Well, I'll shut up now!! 🙈

I'd fancy them in an eliminator though!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Darragh Maloney must have done Syllabus C maths for the leaving. With all hanging at 1.14min the Rices had beaten 4.55. It took him until the last 2 Rices hanging at 3min to realise they won. Abysmal commentary.

• Advertisement

Ah, now - do you not think he might have been stringing it out for the sake of the commentary?

What else was he going to have to say???

Say the truth. The average person watching can count. He sounded like an eejit either ways.

Yes the Rices defied logic.

This average person knew exactly what he was at.

Maybe don't take everything quite so literally!

What odds this comes down to the last person in each team on the ramp - again??

My money is on the blues.

Ah lads, he's not trying to fool anyone!

Seriously, he has to talk for as long as they're hanging up there - if as soon as they've won he says that, what's he going to say for the next three minutes?

He has to try to drag it out, we know he's trying to drag it out, he knows we know he's trying to drag it out.....

That ramp in the eliminator is shocking.

I thought the Fitzsimmons were gonna blooming kill themselves on it. I kind figured the other family would struggle to get the dad and girl up.

The two wee lads were phenomenal in that first event and the eliminator.

Nina's family really solid on hang tough, I thought they were in serious problem after that first event.

• Advertisement

There was plenty to talk about otherwise. He could have commented on the amazing performances of the son and mam. Talked about would coming first in hanging tough save them from the eliminator. Not realising, or pretending not to realise, for 2 minutes after it was apparent to everyone, that they won the task was daft and a total dumbing down of the show to idiotic levels. Everyone can add what beats 4min 55sec when everyone is hanging on at 1min 15sec. It's 8 year old's maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,306 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was surprised Anna didn't save the day with her shoes off technique for wet ramps.

The 14- year- old twins strike again!

They are quite the force to be reckoned with!!

I reckon the young surfing lad will smash it as well - light as a feather.

They must have done all this in a very short time frame - the dad Brian still has the bandage on his chin that he had last week.

Jaysus, they made mincemeat of that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I was really impressed with the the youngsters this evening the twins and young Finnegan lad really delivered for their families. This time round I think some of the parents have really struggled fitness wise. It’s always good entertainment. Sad to see it being cancelled, it doesn’t strike as being the most expensive show to make.

They looked like they were going for a nice little walk in the park for most of it. It didn’t seem to stress them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Two very impressive teams last night winning the eliminators. They shot up the final ramp!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d love to see the Davern’s from Tullamore go at it again someday. They lost 2 finals.

That Fitzsimons family were absolutely brilliant. Two young seriously slim fit parents and two wee fellas a great formula for that event.

Finnegans terrific in the eliminator the young kids in this serie shave been amazing.

I would be surprised if it is cancelled I would say it gets decent viewing figures? I don't think it is produced in house...but then very little is in RTE (if they did they would have made a decent amount of money as it has been sold as a format to quite a few other places)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Epic finale, Davy does it again, can't be good for his ticker. Brilliant from the Nugent's as the Fitzsimmons are one fit family. Great drama, and they are scrapping this for what reason?

Jaysus, I'm a bit behind, so don't know the result yet - but bloody hell, that backs against the wall was epic!

I loved the twins' family* roaring and shouting at each other, and the little fella in blue* is just unbelievable - stuck it out for 1 second longer than the brother, just for the bragging rights!!

*cannot get the hang of the families' names, no matter how hard I try

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

I'd hate to see it cancelled great family watching.

If cutting costs think they should stop paying 'celebs' fees to be on shows such as the dancing.

Fantastic final tonight so close and weather conditions really thew it.

Well done to those families sure will hear of those teenagers having sporting success again in future like Mona McSharry

They really need to get rid of those helmet cams where cargo nets are involved - another one gets all tangled up.

OK, it didn't make any difference to the end result this time, but it absolutely could.

Ridiculous things, is there ever any decent footage from them, even?

In other news, fair dues to that Dad of the twins, he's not the most ripped or aerodynamic of men, but he fairly put in a shift that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If this is cancelled by RTE i'd be certain TV3 would pick it up.

I'm pretty sure I've read that "Fittest Family" has been packaged and sold/distributed to other countries (Germany/Croatia/Hungary/Finland) so I don't see it not getting snapped up. The format is a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What was the story with the ropes at the top of the ramp this year, did they explain why? Like were the ramps taller than last year or something?

• Advertisement

They did explain why - it was an absolute mudfest, we'd still be watching this time next week if they didn't put the ropes there!

If they're going to make the ramps "the highest ever, EVER" in every successive series, in fairness they should put ropes on them - this series was mostly family members throwing themselves at ramps and sliding back down.

What a finish though! You could see them slipping and sliding in the mud - that must have been a horrendous course to do.

Heartbreaking for whoever lost out in that final.

Advertisement