Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tooth found to be broken soon after I had a crown repaired.

Options
  • 08-11-2022 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just looking for peoples opinions here....

I had some pretty hefty work done in 2010 after an accident. Very happy with the work and dentist.

This year during a checkup, one of the crowns that I had fitted to a front tooth was found to be cracked, so a replacement crown was recommended. Had it replaced in April and all seemed fine. Was again happy with the process.

During the summer I developed some throbbing over the tooth, then noticed a "blister" for want of a better word - back to the dentist, sent for a dental CT scan. I have developed an abscess above the tooth due to the tooth itself being broken above the crown. I now need an extraction and an Implant - total bill looks to be around 5K.

Have I just been incredibly unlucky, or is it possible that the process of replacing the original crown broke the tooth, or, perhaps it was broken all along and this should have been spotted during the crown replacement?

It's a bit of a sickener to now loose the tooth need to hand over 5K for an implant after paying nearly €900 for the replacement Crown in April.

Would I get anywhere discussing some sort of discount for the implant, or would I just be wasting my time? All work was/is being carried out by the same dental group.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

It's kind of like chicken& egg territory; noone can really say with any certainty exactly when or how the crack in the root occurred. It could be noone's fault yet everyone's problem.

Clenching, grinding& stress can be ongoing risk factors for fractures.

Maybe whatever cracked the porcelain also cracked the underlying tooth - however this may have been microscopic,&/at bone level- so not visible to the naked eye.

Noone would purposely place a crown over a cracked tooth, it's just a recipe for imminent failure& acrimony. Having to take a CT scan (3D) - versus basic xrays(2D)- to investigate the underlying issue; that's probably a good indicator of the complexity of diagnosis.

All that said, there is the financial element. Whilst there's no absolute guarantee of outcome, most reasonable clinics would have goodwill. Talk it through with them before starting the implant process & see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This is just the way teeth go sometimes. Unpredictable. Who knows when it happened, root fractures are very hard to diagnose unless obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

5k seems a lot for an implant. I have one booked (the initial appointment for the implant is just over 12 months from the first dentist appointment!) and I was told it was in the region of 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

I paid €5,000 for two molar implants (including bridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

Thanks folks. Ya I'll talk it thru with them and see what they say. I'm not for one moment doubting their compotency, they're a great clinic. It was just a PITA seeing all of that spelled out in front of me when I had spent 900 so recently.

They did advise that 5k was at the top end of the estimate...but it's a front tooth that will need surgical extraction, a dummy put in place and possibly a bone graft so this is all included in the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sybil89

Hi there, I once had an experience very similar to yours. I had a root canal done and then a crown one year later. Two years after that, my crown came off. I spent two hours in the dental chair to get my tooth replaced. A year later, my tooth broke again, meaning another crown. After that, the crown broke again. I was so frustrated that I thought I was going to get a headache. I told my dentist that I was not going to have three or four crowns before I die. I just wanted to have an implant put in. He told me that my gums were too weak to support the implant. I was in so much pain that I broke down and cried. I didn't know what to do. As it turns out, the tooth was broken long before I had my first crown. My dental insurance wouldn't cover the cost of my last crown because it was within two years of my previous work. No one seemed to care that I was in pain.

Advertisement