Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

And cost of living increase by them applied in April each year.2% minimum + RPI increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Got the SIM in March at €14.99 and indeed it went up to €15.99 in August. (If I signed up to Eir broadband it would be €10) Roaming reliability and speed uplift to 5G makes it worthwhile for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

The cost of living increase applied to all contracts or services and signed for after a date in April-maybe the 12th 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Can anyone advise how to set up/activate my voicemail please?

Calls that I don’t answer never go to voicemail so I miss a number messages.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Anyone having general connectivity issues? Signal is dropping dozens of times a day for seconds/minutes at a time.

When I do get signal it's barely functional, ok for a WhatsApp msg but not good enough to load a webpage. Then will go back to full speed randomly.

It hasn't been this bad in ages. Seriously thinking of jumping ship to the €15 three offer, which even though it's technically the same network I can almost guarantee will be night and day better

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Yes I've had similar problems in the last week, in Dublin West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm in Sligo, so not a localised problem then. I'm loath to give up the €7.99 deal but the amount of times I've taken my phone out of my pocket to find it with no signal the last while is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I see they haven't yet updated the website saying they now support 4G roaming.

When I asked an agent about this, they gave me the below info;

As per the update we have received, 4G roaming was introduced for all 48 customers mid-September 22.

48 will make the required BTL (Below The Line) changes to website FAQs and Community articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

i'm just back from france yesterday , no coverage with 48, tried all the options with apn etc, other friends on gomo were working fine. i have now left 48 after 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭notcarlos

Hi anyone leaving 48.ie and would like to sell their sim? I'd be happy to buy it from you. Was just late for the 8 eur or 10.99 promo. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My data is going to run out this month about 10 days before the membership is up. Is there any way to start a new membership before that 10 days is up or do you have to wait and complete the 30 days

I have a 48 sim that was ordered during the 10.99 offer. I never activated it though so I am not sure if it is activated now would they give you the 10.99 offer or if it would be the current 12.99 one. But if you want it then PM me and I can throw it in the post so you can try it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You have to wait for the 30 days, but you can purchase some add-on data (it's limited, mind you). You can also borrow 1GB (IIRC) from next month and you can also use some of the data you've previously banked for future use (provided you've banked some).

ok right, looks like I might be in a jam, its more like 80GB extra I need to get to the end of the 30 days rather than the few you can get by buying or borrowing more. Its in a 4G router and Ive been binging too much on Netflix and football on Now TV

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Look on the website, you'll find some pointers in there.

Does anyone know how strict they are on the 200Gb fair use limit for €12.99 sims? (Seriously does anyone know from experience?) After all they do advertise it as "All you can eat". Maybe they'll allow you run 80Gb over one month? Might be worth asking.

And of course you can use data from your "safe". ...or buy "addon" data - but that's relatively expensive.

If you contact them online and ask them to restart the month early, they will (reluctantly) do so but they'll take up to 5 working days. This might work for you if you have that much time left in the month.

But if you're liable to frequently run over the 200 gig monthly limit, maximum flexibility is provided by getting two sim cards, turning off auto-renew, and alternating month start dates at your own discretion.

I can't say on the €12.99, but I do know for a fact that you get cut off as soon as you reach the 100GB limit on the €7.99 rate, it has happened to me more than once. In comparison, GoMo lets you proceed beyond your limit but may cut the speed down to 3G.

• Advertisement

From experience last month I hit the 200GB limit and it just knocked off the internet full stop at that point so yeah they are strict. In fact I think it was 205GB as I carried over 5GB from the previous month but once that was gone so was my internet.

Im going to hit the 200GB again over the weekend so what I'll do is put my 7.99 phone sim in the router. That has 100GB on it and I only ever use about 5GB of it when out and about on 4G so I will have about 95GB to play with which will get me through to the end of the 30 days. But obviously I wont be able to accept phone calls while the sim is in there so its not ideal. But I can still use Whatsapp on the web so Im not completely uncontactable

But yeah going forward I'll have to consider getting a second sim card for the router to have maximum flexibility. Probably not yet though as the Premier League is on a 5 week break for the World Cup soon so once I get over this currnnt hump I'll be okay until January.

I wonder are there any other networks doing sims for about 15 a month that give more than 200GB fair usage? A 300GB version would really help me out.

You could hotspot your €7.99 sim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

You could order the three hero plan sim, but today is the last day to do so. I think it's unlimited.

EDIT: It actually seems to be gone from their website.

It will activate at the current plan of e12.99

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Would anyone have any idea why 48 would refund my 7.99 monthly fee?

It came out our my bankaccount on 30th Oct. and I was just looking at my account there and says 48 refund on 7 Nov. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Not sure...but similar here. Have one of the kids set up with automatic top-up on my revolut card, and got a notification on the revolut app that the money had been reverted as the merchant did not claim it within 7 days. Still has the membership though.

It could be a goodwill gesture.Someone paying your sub wouldn't explain it. I got my sub paid by 48 recently because it was due at a time they were doing maintenance on their site. I waited until the due date to see if it would be credited-activate a new month.It did.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you fill in a survey about their service by any chance? Everyone who did seemed to get a free month.

• Advertisement

Yes,and got a free month for that as well.3 freebies(cud be 4) so far this year

Advertisement