Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is WHS fit for purpose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes

But doesn't that take it back almost to CONGU's premise, that h/c is an indicator of potential ? WHS is essentially a rolling measure of how someone is playing right now ("right now" being their last 20 games obviously), and is more an indicator of current form rather than underlying ability. With your index regenerating itself completely after 20 rounds, any historical ability is completely redundant I think. From what I understand about it, our handicap under WHS is just such a completely different "thing" to what it was under CONGU that they could possibly have even come up with a new name for it to highlight how different it is. I suppose they did in a way with the word index. Granted it was already called handicap all around the world so couldn't really be changed just to suit GB & I, or maybe just the "I" 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Yes

The issue people have though is that they suspect the casual rounds are not reflective of how people play in competition - either deliberate, or simply that people approach casual rounds differently. The data missing is whether or not the casual rounds are similar to, better than or worse than competition rounds. If 10% of submitted rounds are casual, but 90% of those are worse than the average competition rounds then you've got a problem. Whereas if 80% of the rounds are casual but they're in line with competition rounds then maybe you don't.

Yes

Not trying to sound flippant at all, but couldn't it be argued that the real issue is that we're all so cynical or innately suspicious about scores that our first thought, rightly or wrongly, is always to assume the bad case ?

I'd say its a given that people approach casual rounds differently, even subconsciously. They just are different, you can't replicate the mindset of competition Vs casual I don't think. I'd actually be very surprised if scoring in casual rounds aligned with competition rounds at all tbh. Although I'm not sure what that would actually mean. I'm sure we all know the guy or even have been that guy that shoots a handy level par on a Thursday evening with his mates but can't break 80 on Saturday morning with card and pencil, yet has no explanation for it. I know I've certainly been him ! Likewise I know there's guys who can't play at all if its not a competition, again, for no apparent reason.

All that said, I largely agree with your point above about analysing the scores to see trends etc, but would ask, "is it worth doing" ? and even if there are quirks, "how do you prove intent" ?

Yes

I strongly agree with your first point! I doubt that the casual scores are all that different to competition scores. I'd be happy to not even think about whether that's the case or not were it not for the problem of people constantly whinging about every good score someone comes in with. I like to think that if we actually saw extensive stats on it all, that people would go "oh, fair enough. That actually all looks grand. There are a few anomalous scores, but you'd expect that with any system."

But that's probably fanciful. I think most of the people who have decided that this new system doesn't work have decided it. And it would be like trying to get a Trump supporter / Brexit voter to change their minds. They'd have to admit that they were wrong and people don't like doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newport2

No

In fairness, that's the same as saying that I think most of the people who have decided that this new system does work have decided it. And it would be like trying to get a Trump supporter / Brexit voter to change their minds. They'd have to admit that they were wrong and people don't like doing that.

There's pros and cons to the new system. Those who believe it does or doesn't work are not necessarily wrong or right, they just hold different opinions on it. Whereas Trump supporters are definitely wrong.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No

First of all I think it's bang out of order that they are charging for casual rounds. Surely goes against all ethos of the game.

What happens of you play a casual round and don't declare it in the book? do they still charge you?

What happens if you play a casual round at another course?

No

But WHS promised to bring the 6 handicapping bodies together with a blend of each to give us a unified handicapping system.

So yes, there should be some cognisance of CONGU within WHS.

Instead they seem to have chucked them all out and just gone with the USGA version with some slight tweaks.

Yes

Agreed. I wonder if it's possible for me to be presented with evidence that would make me accept that the new system is not working. I wonder would I keep poking holes in the evidence rather than accept it. That said, I'm fairly content that I haven't seen such evidence yet!

And it's just human nature to not want to admit that you were wrong. It's like when people were calling for another brexit vote because it was proven to be such a disaster. But the polls showed that those that voted for it in the first instance wouldn't change their minds. And for those that voted to remain - I reckon if Brexit had actually turned out to be wonderful, they would just insist that it would have been more wonderful if they'd staying in the EU.

And same with WHS - many people have nailed their colours to the mast at this stage and there will be no admitting of fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No

Agreed, I've mentioned it on here before so won't go into it in too much detail. But it's a disgrace really. There may have been some good intentions behind it, we had a few cases of guys absolutely taking the p1ss with casual rounds, many think it was brought in as a deterrent to that.

Many also think it was brought in as competition numbers were suffering. A regular playing partner of mine, very low, just started playing casual rounds as he was fed up of competitions and the scores. He shot his best score ever, under par, and didn't feature in the Top 20. That was the final straw for him.

I'm actually not sure what would happen if you played and didn't pay / sign the book. I'm sure there would be a warning after it was done a couple of times. People aren't happy with it, but no huge protests either.

Afaik, the charge is not applied if playing at an away course. Haven't actually played an away course this year myself.

Yes

I agree. They pretty much went with the US system for whatever reason. TBH I don't know a whole lot about the other systems that were being used in Europe, Australia etc., but I think (from reading other sites) that they were a lot closer to the US system than they were to CONGU, having an element of course rating and "form" over demonstrated ability. I think/assume CONGU was the most unique, but open to correction and it probably depends on your point of view, was CONGU unique or was the US unique.

Maybe they couldn't find a way of integrating parts of CONGU as its so very different, and took the view that its easier to get, what, a million (?) golfers in GB&I to adapt to a new system than, I dunno, 20 or 30 million golfers elsewhere to change. No idea what the actual numbers are but I'd say we were just too small to matter really.

• Advertisement

Yes

So can you just go out and play a practice round or is all golf charged for in your club on top of the membership fee ?

IMO, as Seve says above, bang out of order.

No

Oh you can play away as much as you want, there's just an "admin fee" of €5 if you want to play a casual round for handicap purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yes

I actually don't mind the charge and would like our own club to introduce it. If there using casual rounds to bump up their handicap then let them pay for the prizes they'll be winning on the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No

From what I know I think you are correct. Of the other 4 regions I believe at least 2 of them were along the lines of the US method, not exactly the same, but very similar.

I’m not sure if there was a cap on the handicap increase in other systems, so maybe that what CONGU brought to the table…… but 5 shots is a joke.

I’m happy enough with the new system, I just feel that allowing anyone to go up by 5 shots is making a joke of it.

if they limit that to 2 shots, problem solved

Yes

Pretty much agree with this, though I'd be less concerned about the 5 shots (I think). I can't say I know of anyone who has gone up 5 shots in a year, which isn't to say it doesn't happen of course. I'm trying to work out in my head though, just how bad you'd have to play to get the last two shots back after the soft cap kicks in. Would it be playing twice as bad, or playing twice as many bad rounds as for the first three shots back ? In practical terms, is it even doable before scores start dropping off at the back end ? I dunno, it seems like an awful lot of effort if its not a genuine case of really bad play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newport2

No

While I initially said no, it isn't working, I have come around to it and think it's fine now. My only issue with it that I feel it rewards inconsistency, but that's the way it is and I accept it. I like the way it works for me and my handicap though.

No

I’ve currently stand 6.1 up and at one point 6.8 since it was introduced.

I was playing ok actually, but scoring terribly.

I know that’s not in a year, but it has resulted in 1 stupid high bumper score and 1 pretty high bumper score at the weekend. Why? Because it doesn’t take account of proven ability and allows players to go out to many strokes.

No

Things can get a bit polarised on the internet but even still, I think people on here have been fairly balanced in general and can see positives and negatives to both systems.

Overall I would much prefer Congu as a system because I think a handicap should be more a reflection of potential rather than recent(ish) form.... but Congu had its faults for sure. WHS has some excellent features but I think it is too fluid.

What I don't quite get is trying to find a definite answer on if a system is working from data. Data can help for sure, but it will never paint the full picture when it comes to some of the carry on with handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yes

Some more data...Top 14 or so golfers who have played the most rounds, including both causal and competition. It will give an idea of the HI range playing the most golf, the variance between casual and competition scores and that variance in relation to their current HI. It's not easy to draw conclusions from it.

01-01-2022 to 31-Oct-2022 Men Only

• Advertisement

Yes

So if I’m reading that right, of the top 14, seven had a slightly higher stroke differential in casual rounds and seven had higher one in competitions ? And none of the variances were all that big ?

not sure what it means really, being a small sample, but I suspect the widespread messing that some people think is going on, probably isn’t as common as we think ?

Yes

That’s fair, but I think that the bumper score is much more likely and also acceptable (if that’s the right word) under WHS. Chances are out of our best 8 scores, half of them will be lower than our index, so we’re beating our h/c fairly regularly by default. Then if we have a really good day, it’ll be a big score.

Yes

Ahh yeah it’s a fairly sensible and balanced debate in fairness. Personally I much prefer WHS, for its currentness, but honestly don’t really care all that much. Kinda take the view that I play my golf and my handicap is what it is.

No

44 points is a big score

48 is unacceptable

Yes

Yes @Russman that's how you read it. I've got a much larger sample but I just chose the most regular players for illustration. The pattern is consistent across the full cohort. I thought looking at the percentage difference vs handicap index might highlight some oddities but a 3 HI who has averaged 4 in casual rounds shows as a 33%. It's a bit hard to pull them on a 1 shot difference. You've also got to eliminate golfers who have only had a low number of rounds, either competition or casual, as they also produce lumpy results.

I hope that providing some stats will give an insight into how WHS is looking and provide some real evidence, whatever side of the WHS debate people take.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

Could you include the highest score for each of those players? I'd expect the higher indexes to have all the highest scores due to being less consistent than the lower index players. That, in my opinion, is the biggest problem with WHS.

Yes

No, afraid not. Average shot differential (SD) is what is available in the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes

60% of players who played both casual and competition rounds have a lower average stroke differential in casual rounds than they do in competition rounds.

There are 10 players who have a stroke differential, 3 shots higher in casual rounds than competition rounds. Those players are on our watch list but none of them did anything spectacular in major comps during the year. Maybe casual rounds just aren't their thing :D

No

Email there from Golf Ireland

Your Handicap Index® (H.I.®) is calculated to reflect your demonstrated playing ability.

this is what I was saying before that using last 20 score’s doesn’t really look at your demonstrated playing ability….. only your current form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yes

Or maybe current playing ability versus historical playing ability!

Would best 8 from 30 rounds solve alot of the issues?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement