Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭freddyuk

First Ireland reduced our renewal quote down to price match new Aviva quote which was 50 euro cheaper. First Ireland cover is from Zurich. If you don't ask you don't get.

Why do we have to go through this tedious process every year to simply avoid being blatantly ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Had the same with FBD got a quote from Zurich over €100 cheaper didn't bother ringing to try get it matched just cancelled. They rang asking why I wasn't renewing and why didn't I call to see if they could reduce it. Answer, why should I?! Dont try rip me off in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1Scribbler

Just trawling through all the websites to obtain renewal quotes. I'm currently insured with Aviva, 10 years NCB, 3 penalty points (1 year ago), 53 years old. Have additional driver (40) on there who has a learner permit (1 year). The only change is the 3 penalty points from last year's cover. Quote has increased from €340 to €468. Can't seem to find a cheaper quote for comprehensive. Have costs shot up since last year? Have tried Allianz, AIG, Zurich, An Post, AA, Liberty and Aviva (as a new customer). Any recommendations on who else I should try? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Similar here. Same age profile, no claim in 30 years, 1.2L, 3-year old car with all the safety features. Renewal with AXA €539. There is one add-on inc. for €35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 1Scribbler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Allianz are Charging me an extra €200 to change address, 4km up the road.

I asked them to supply me with the data that tells them there are more claims living in a suburb than the centre of town!! I was told it would be detrimental to their buisness.

The whole thing is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Your Age: 56

Car type and engine: 2008 Mercedes C180K

years driving: 37

any claims: none

no penalty points

Price and provider: Allianz, It was €472 last year, €459 Renewal, fully comp with bonus protection etc.. Got it down to €381....

I recently moved house, new address knocked €78 off this years renewal. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

I recently moved about 10km from old house, new address reduced my premium by €78......

Asked her how did it make such a difference, she said the system decides by Eircode location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

2014 Volvo XC60.

Allianz last year 410 full comp, this year renewal is 567. That's a 27% jump and no change in quote details.

If I get new quote online via Allianz its 411.

How come the renewal is so much more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know the exact details of that particular company but a lot of them do deals for new customers. It's not fair really but they are just hoping you will just renew without getting new quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭raxy

Loyalty tax!

I was with Allianz & the quote came in high as well (680 i think), last year the renewal was about the same as the year before. I tried a new quote & it came in about the same as well. Moving to chill who were 180 cheaper. I would have moved even if the quote was the same, Ive read payouts have been dropping so quotes should drop to match.

I tried a good few, although not as many as other years. Got quotes with me on my own & another with my wife, who is learning. Some were charging a lot more to add her, others were about the same price either way. I had 1 quote of 430 with just me but when I added my wife it went to ~680. Id love to know how they come up with quotes that they vary so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

But would I be able to just use the cheaper new online quote instead or would that be invalid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes you can go with the new quote but it's more hassle than renewing as you have to give the NCB and picture of licence and what ever else they ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got my An Post renewal there and also have the €50 renewal fee, how is that even allowed that's ridiculous. €480, if it wasn't for that fee it would have been €100 less than last year I wouldn't need to shop around. Such a waste of time getting a new quote from an existing insurer.

Where's this new law I heard about where renewals have to be the same price as new customers?

Shopping around for the missus as my new car will arrive in the next week or so.

172 1.0 110hp Golf, 28, learner permit with 3 years named experience, me as a named driver - €576 with Liberty. Very few places quoting her but that's a very good quote for someone who hasn't passed a test!

And for myself:

222 204hp Cupra Born, 30, 5 years full license/no claims - €409 with An Post which is surprisingly €40 less than my quote with them on the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^ Both very good quotes especially the learner^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

08 Mazda2 / Dublin 15 / male 38, 8 years no claims / full comp, NCD and breakdown/windows cover from Allianz for €360.

Cheapest I could find. Aviva quoted €560 for renewal and on their website as a new customer they quoted €400ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

123 current - 385.23

123 renewal - 566.76

Quotes:

Aviva - 317.34

AA - 346.75

An post - 355

KennCo - 357.92

ItsForWomen - 389.49

AIG - 404.14

Best quotes - 415

Chill - 416

GetSetGo - 418.89

Liberty - 457.70

Fbd - 476.89

123 - 484.47

Allianz - 493.07

Bank of Ireland - 498.09

Zurich - 544.33

Axa - 557.79

SuperValu - 557.79

AIB - 602.32

Went with Aviva this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Current: Aviva 354, but switched cars in March and they added 80 to premium

Peugeot 308 GTi

10+ years NCB

Licence 20+ years

All quotes with full protection and step back if possible

Aviva renewal was 651, joke

AIG 431

GetSetGo 420

AXA 711 (never gotten below 700 with them)

123.ie 389

AA 512

FBD 468 (first time below 700)

Allianz Unable to quote

Supervalu 711

Zurich 479 (414 after they called me back)

Liberty Unable to quote, 3rd year in a row

Its4Women 396

GMIB 511

Went with 123.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Get Set Go - €422.53

AIG - € 436.21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

For my sins I changed from a 171 Leon Fr to an 10 BMW 520d in the past year (lordy insurers don't like older cars)

40 year old with full no claims.

All quotes fully comp with step back, driving of other cars, breakdown assist

Renewal AIG- 680

AIG Website - 734

Aviva - 1050

FBD - 900

123 - 775

Supervalu - 837

Campion - 673 (via Zurich)

Zurich - 669

Bank of Ireland - 1375

Liberty - 680

GetSetGo - 811

Quote Devil 665 via Zurich - dropped to €650 after "talking to his supervisor" - so just went with that.

The 171 Seat was under 400 last year 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Always ring a real person and haggle, make up imaginary quotes for them to match.

Last year chill broker/Allianz 360 after haggle

Renewal 410 then down to 360 after haggle. Said quote was today only!

Not getting better online after a couple of hours but some insurers to ring back.

Typically I add additional driver to try reduce quote.

I may try get them to "match" 340, but cover is not great comprehensive but breakdown is a max of 30km towing!.

In terms of changing address I moved home twice more than a year ago and both times cost for new address was excessive so I moved insurer. Lucky I was with a broker who handled all the move. New address was say 100 euro more but moving was only 50 so I saved 50 each time with a 15 minute phone call. I believe some insurers assume/know when you move address you probably won't switch insurer and the new quote is given based on zero discounts and basically ripoff. I was not going to pay 30% extra annual insurance for a new address for 3 months. Totally crazy quote and new address is not in a bad area. It's just arm chancing by insurer. So put some value in being with a broker who can handle switching but still shop around and haggle with broker and insurers. Brokers can also rip you off when they say they have your best interests at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Years driving: 16

Car: '07 Honda Civic 1.8 SES

NCB: 15 years

Claims: 0

Cover: Fully comp

Provider: 123

That's the missus, and I'm named driver on full license

Previous years cost/best prices:

2016 Axa €520

2017 Allianz €522

2018 axa €547

2019 its4women €413

2020 123.ie €414

2021 123.ie €384

This years quotes:

123 renewal €428

Axa €792

Aviva wouldn't quote me

Chill €490 via ivernia

An post €355 Fully comp. with noclaim protection. So went with that

So I couldn't seem to find my quote for the Born in my emails and the lowest new quote I got the week of renewal was €530 with AXA but it didn't recognize my reg and selecting the car manually I couldn't purchase it without the reg being recognised. Called them up and it was €420.

Funny they always push you to call and offer big online discounts, I only called due to the reg not being recognised and suddenly there's €110 off the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's always worth calling whatever you are negotiating. Whether it be BB provider, energy provider or insurances of any type.

House insurance is due next month. Will be calling round for a few quotes, then calling existing insurer and asking them to match lowest quite got minus 50 euro and see what they do.

I am expecting higher quotes as have reviewed the rebuild costs and we are defo under insured as are most of the country I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How long were you waiting for the car? They're full EV aren't they?

6 month wait, yeah it's a full EV, same platform as the ID.3. As it's a 'new' car under the Cupra brand they were building the first 100 or so units to be delivered this year so didn't have to wait as long as the ID.3, similar with the new ID.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nice, maybe something worth looking at when the PCP is finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Indeed, and my young lad just passed his test AND changed to 9 yr newer car:

Licence: Full

NCB: 1 year

Car : 2017 Focus 1.5 Tdci ST Line (valued at €17,500)

Cost: € 1,580 Full Compl

(2021 insurance was €2450 for TPO on a 2008 1.4 Astra valued at € 2,200. Renewal notice on it was €1,880)

So newer, more expensive car, higher value: cheaper insurance.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement