Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler going without naps at creche

• 04-11-2022 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

My 2.5 year old was moved from the toddler room at creche to the preschool/ecce room in september. She's one of the youngest in her current group. In the previous room she had a nap at 11.40 each day. At home she naps around the same time.

In the room shes in now she isn't always given the opportunity to nap. Staff turnover is huge and they seem quite stressed so I assume they forget how young she is. When they do offer a nap it's at 1.30 by which time my toddler is overtired and won't sleep. She's exhausted and very cranky by the time we get her home. And It can't be good for her.

I've asked them to try an easier nap but they say they don't have a bed available for her when she's tired.

I feel it's unfair to expect a 2.5 year old who wakes at 6am to stay awake until bedtime at 7/8pm. What can I do? I'd move her to a less oversubscribed creche if there was such a thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

Oh that is tough, it's sounds like your little one still needs their nap. My little one did drop her nap at around 2.5yo but others in her room were still napping at this age. Our crèche had quiet time from 12.30 til 14.00 at that age as some napped and some didn't. The nap area was little mattresses and blankets they had which were taken out for naps at that time. Maybe you could ask if they would introduce a quiet corner for the ones who need to nap. The kids were compliant with the quiet play time if they werent napping themselves. Some kids nap until nearly 4 so they need to facilitate it. It will also make their lives easier than having cranky kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

I agree, it would make the staffs life easier if she napped. She's fallen and hit her head several times since going to the new room. That never happened until she moved. I blame her exhaustion and the fact the staff have too much on their plates to watch them properly. It does my mammy guilt no good to feel like I'm sending her somewhere she's not being supervised properly.

They have a separate room with cots and toddler beds. I presume the earlier time clashes with another group. But I feel it's not feasible or right to just expect her to do without.

Im actually on maternity leave at the moment and im sorely tempted to keep her home but then shed lose her place for when I'm back at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I think your well within your rights to insist the she gets her nap when she needs it. If they say they have no bed for her at that time just ask them what are they going to do about it to facilitate her nap at the time she needs it.

Not only are you paying for a service but the service should be child led and children should get the chance to nap at a time close to what suits their needs.

Its not good enough to say they don't have a bed and then put her down too late.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah no, that's not good enough.

I'd go back and insist they find a way.Surely she isn't the only one.2.5 is too young to go all day every day with no nap.All 3 of mine had naps at differents hours at that age - the first around 12.30pm, the second used to be 1.15pm or so and my third wanted it around 11.15pm.They are all different, it depends on the child.

Advertisement