Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(probably) stupid ethernet question

• 03-11-2022 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

just changed provider and got FTTH, the router is now in the hall for that.

we switched from the old coaxial setup which was located behind the tv in living room. i had a cat5e cable ran outside the house from ther, up the drain pipe, into the attic, and down into my home office. have had that abut 10 years, no issues.

now im probably going to drill straight out from the hall today, run the cat6 up the side of the house and straight into the office(which is actually located directly above the hall). does that sound like the ebst method?

my main question is, and its probably dumb, but would the following work? patch cable from router in hall to hall rj45 wall plate(so i dont have to crimp any connectors), then cat6 from the back of that plate external, then back internal through office wall to another rj45 wallplate (no crimping), then patch cable into pc.

does the data essentialy just flow through those wall plates is my question i suppose!

current provider has throttled me to 1mbps today (last day of service), thanks Virgin...working from home is fun.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

now I'm probably going to drill straight out from the hall today, run the cat6 up the side of the house and straight into the office(which is actually located directly above the hall). does that sound like the best method.

Yes, if you do it properly it sounds reasonable. The only thing I would add is that if you are going to run one cable, run two instead. It is more or less the same effort at the start but if for some reason that Cable breaks or want to install an access point later, it is much easier to install two now.

My main question is, and it's probably dumb, but would the following work? patch cable from router in hall to hall rj45 wall plate(so i dont have to crimp any connectors), then cat6 from the back of that plate external, then back internal through office wall to another rj45 wallplate (no crimping), then patch cable into pc.

Yes, that seems fine too, I run a similar setup. The only thing you might need watch out for, is if you need Cat 6 wallplates, versus Cat 5e, as the cables are a little bit thicker. See if you can borrow a Cable tester off someone after to make sure the cables are crimped correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cheers, yeah im going to run 2 cables and buy twin cat6 faceplates.

thanks dude.

Advertisement