Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,818 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

With a full licence and a year or two NCB it makes it much easier to shop around.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

yes somewhat cant remember the details exactly but I had updated my license when I passed the test ,not change to policy price or any refund , when renewal came along, was less than the year before but it still listed as a learner ,rang them to update the license for the policy again only for the renewal price to go up !🤔 there was some funny attempts and a whole various amount of excuses to justify the increase when I challenged them on it and I just kept saying you are charging me more have a fully license and stuck with that !😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks, I'm tempted to file a case with the Ombudsman. They've already done some fairly unscupulous things, like when I upgraded my bike, they told me I needed to cancel my policy to get the price they quoted me online... so I had to start my NCB from scratch as they cancelled it...

I just don't have any thrust in them.

Don't get your hopes up, the insurance ombudsman is there basically to protect the industry's ass.

The practice of offering a lower price to new customers (which is why they said you had to cancel existing policy) for motor insurance should be illegal. Premium should depend only on risk - this is a product the law obliges us to buy so there should be a very high level of protection for consumers against abuses like these.

Talk to your TDs

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I passed the test in feb insurance was up in July

When I got the quote there was no difference from last year so I rang them and asked the girl on the phone said they had not noticed that I had updated my details and said she would get on to her manager

Came back a few mins later with about €70 off so in my case it made a small difference from €360 down to €290 which I was happy enough with as a 57yo

• Advertisement

That's a good premium given you've passed the test recently - I've basically hit the floor now and it'll not go much below that no matter what I do, when I tried shopping around the others said they could match but not go cheaper. Age has some benefits after all 😁

When I was getting started there was only Norwich Union (aka Norwich Screwnion) and I paid just over £1000 as a 23-yo for third party only on a 100cc bike!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

It's prob the only benefit of getting old :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think AXA direct don't quote learners at all, you can get quotes with them as underwriter but not directly unless you'd some decent amount of NCB or passed a certain level on their testing thing.

If I'd to make assumptions I'd say it's down to the level of hoops you've to jump through to get out on the road as a learner for a bike. For the car you pass the Theory test and have someone who just has their license at least 2 years while you've to complete the IBT with someone who's had to prove they're competent.

Post edited by Varik on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hey everyone, have some questions about insurance that are driving me mad if anyone would like to help :)

I'll be considered a brand new driver in the A class. Had provisionals about 20 years ago, but haven't got it renewed for 15 years, I'm back to square 1.

Anyway, I've learner permit got (AM, A1, A2 and A), IBT done and I've been looking at a few machines on donedeal to see what's around.

Is there a limit in what insurers will allow you to insure first time out, with zero previous? If so, is it a KW measurement or a CC one?

I'm more or less talking about Liberty here, cos I use their online quote system, to see if I can insure a bike I spot on donedeal.

When that says no quote, I move on, but might other companies actually insure me on the same machine?

Hope this makes sense. Basically I want to know if all insurers differ on what power bikes they offer to first time customers?

Does any other company have online quotes for bike insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I honestly think it depends on who you get on the far end of a phone!! A friend of mine, younger and with the same zero experience, living in an apartment block in Tallaght with underground parking was able to get insured on a BMW 1250, whereas I was only able to get insured on an NT700, even though the bike would be kept in a private garage on a semi detached house in north Kildare.

there’s no rhyme or reason I can see to any insurance to be honest

but I’d be ringing rather than using online calculators

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to me :)

So it probably doesn't matter so much about CC or KW or BHP, but more to do with the area kept and how it is stored? haha

The reason I use the online one from Liberty is I'm just used to using it for checking general insurance prices when looking for new cars.

I don't want to buy the bike and not be insurable on it, you know? I can easily get quotes on 125, 250, 400 and 500. It starts getting a bit murky then. I got a no quote on a NC750S and Burgman 650, but got quotes on other 650's and 700's.

I can't ring 4 companies (there's 4 that insure bikes, right?) each time I see a potential bike on DD, so I try the online quote to see if it's even viable. My worry is that while Liberty might say no on their portal, if I ring CN, they might be fine!

I also have the potential full test to think about, from January next year and if I go and get a 125 or 250 for commuting, I won't be given a full A license then, if I use that in the test, from what I understand?

It's a pain, being honest!

The more common the bike the better, if they don't have years of data on a model/revisions they they hold that against it. CB600/650 SV650 for example. I don't think they's many of the NC variants in general going around and I don't think I've ever seen the larger scooters in person.

In a more healthy used market you'd have plenty to choose from, but now it's like trying to pick from the last few sweets in the box you checking back and forth with the little paper sheet telling you what's what.

I think you've to just jump at some point, there might be a bike you'd like more for a lower insurance premium but if you find something you like and the insurances isn't ridiculous just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You also have the option of hiring an A bike for the test, that’s what I had to do

That's something I hadn't considered, thanks. Stick to the common bikes.

Yeah, the fella I did the IBT with said he could do that for me, probably the best option really, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

A real life example from a few weeks back. Got my young fella insured, 16 y.o. first learner permit, IBT passed (could have looked for an assessment but no difference to insurance anyway). Bike is 2021 GSX-S125, worth about €3k. Third Party Fire & Theft, Mid-West (rural), block garage;

Principal - won't quote

Liberty €2.9k

Axa €2k

Carole Nash (with Axa) €1,250.

Things to do to bring the quote down - ask for the max excess (y'know yourself, unless its robbed/burned (even then??) I can't see us claiming, on a €3k bike they'd take it off you over and over is my sense).

Thank God for Carole Nash, if it wasn't for them I think I'd be saying - "Sorry son, they got us...." €2k would have been a lot to drop on a non-essential. Plan is to do the A1 test within year 1, I know it may or may not help with the premium but its "something in the bank", no worries about IBT expiring, make you a safer rider to have a target/reason to 'get good'. Inclined to have him do the A1 test, in due course the A2 test and then use progreessive to get A, or just A2 on progressive and A test eventually (prob depend on what bikes we have on the go at the time), but at a minimum A1 test & A2 on progressive would get him to 'commuter bikes', up to himself if any interest after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's a good plan and exactly what my son did.

A1 LP & IBT @16yr. Benelli BN125

A1 Test within the year (just gone 17), + Liberty Assessment Level 4

A2 LP (18) & IBT again. Honda CB500F, + Liberty Assessment Level 3

A2 Test (19) (was supposed to be Monday, centre cancelled it due to 'Wind' ffs, so imminent.

will then do Mod5 to progress to A @ 22.

You can never have too much training.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Fk sake, I had to wait until I turned 25 to get a 500... 😝 stuck on a poxy 125 provisional until then.

Life ain't always empty.

You're going to be really annoyed when I tell you he's thinking of moving up from the 500 in the summer. At 20yrs age...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

20 is the min age for the A progression but he'd still need to wait the 2 years after getting the A2.

Yes, we know, but he's planning on moving up a class of bike from the 500 but it'll still be A2.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

anyone got a test route for Roscommon ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BruceCoClare

Had to change training school due to 1st trainer stopping training 2nd school has us riding towards a wall found that vstrange anyone had this experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I would have thought lots of wide open spaces would be better!

I done mine in a huge car park so plenty of room to go around cones,etc

Wouldn't fancy riding towards a wall on my first few goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BruceCoClare

Yes first school large area practicing circuits junctions lots of stops/gear work and only then commencing u turns figure of eights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

This isn't the same trainer that's telling people not to bother with the front brake and just use the back one? Making you ride straight at a wall sounds absolutely nuts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Spooch

My IBT expires at the start of August, I've been waiting on a test date since April. Will i be allowed sit the test if he cert expires? Or would I have to redo part of the IBT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You'll have to redo parts... Have you called them for a cancellation?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Spooch

I haven't no, just the initial booking. I'll look into redoing part of the IBT, thanks for the reply ✌️

My son had this very problem back in May. Solution was to take a test venue somewhere else (we went to Roscommon). RSA won't renew or extend your IBT Cert.

If you ring them up I've found them most helpful.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

I told you'd be annoyed: he just got this - never actually looked at one before: it's a bloody work of art tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement