Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS number asked by Relative

• 03-11-2022 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My niece has contacted me asking for my PPS number? Do you know the reason why they would ask for this? My sister (never married, no children) died a few months a go who lived in the Republic of Ireland, I live in England for the past 40 years. My sister lived in the family home, but not sure what was in the will I presumed it was left with my niece but just wondering what the reason why my niece would ask for my PPS number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s for inheritance tax if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, you could ask your niece why she wants it.

At a wild guess, it's possible that your sister has left you something in her will, and they need your PPS number to comply with revenue requirements in relation to the administration of your sister's estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oldmanbs2000

Inheritance tax for which party? Niece or for myself? And should I be giving my PPS number out or do I need to hand this information to a solicitor?

I don’t like to ask my niece why they want it but just wanted to know if the family home wasn’t in my name in the first place it would be owned by my late sister

• Administrators Posts: 13,531 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The easiest thing to do is ask your niece why she needs it. Have you reason to be suspicious of your niece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Why would your niece need your PPSN for her inheritance tax? It’s for you. She must be executor of the will. However, surely a common sense approach is to talk to her.

No but thought it was strange to ask as for this number as not expecting anything from the will unless family home is not under my late sisters name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Very common to ask. Solicitor will need to provide same as part of wind up of estate. It would appear your niece has some entitlement from estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd be wary of giving out that information. Could easily be some sort of scam.

Btw..your sister if unmarried and with no children, her estate passes to her siblings. Her siblings PPS numbers are required.

I've done it myself in the past when requested by the executor of the estate.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm surprised she didn't just say why she needed it when she asked for it, it's a fairly unusual request without giving explanation. Just ask her. It's most likely you have been left a small bequest in your sister's will, not necessarily anything to do with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So you prefer to ask a bunch of strangers who have absolutely no knowledge of the reason your niece has, why your niece wants it!

Ask your niece and she'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Most scammers target famalies a friend's first....the fact the op is asking about leaves me feeling she has concerns about her niece....could all be innocent as well but I'd be wary..mwhy isn't she telling the op why she wants it is in my mind very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it seems like the OP didnt even ask why the PPSN was required.

Yes that was my main question what’s the purpose for providing the PPS number if my late sister has given the house to my niece, then why do I need to provide this, if it was in the will that my niece has the family home then what benefit is it for me providing my PPS regardless if I do or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the only person that can answer that is your niece. everybody else will be guessing.

Your sister may have had other assets, cash etc, which could pass to you. Do you have other brothers and sisters?

As stated by many, politely ask your niece to confirm why it is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

Why dont you just ask your niece why she needs it?

PPS numbers of all beneficiaries have to be given to the solicitor - its likely you are going to inherit something ( this may be cash, jewelery, house etc) from your sisters estate. You can just say you will provide the information needed direct to the solicitor if you wish.

Just communicate with your niece and stop making such a song and a dance out of this. Being an executor is a horrible job for anyone to get - your niece doesnt need you being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just ask your niece. No one here can answer that. You're assuming that the house is left to your niece and there's nothing else to be bequeathed.

Do you not trust your niece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

It is the responsibility of an Executor to supply these details to the Tax office for the probation of a will. Your niece is most probably the Executor and you a beneficiary. In this instance (Category B, as a sibling) you are permitted to inherit €32,000 free of CAT over the course of your lifetime from any source in Category B. Any amount above this is taxed at 33%(CAT) Revenue needs to keep an account of one's inheritance history in order to implement this rule.. This is the most likely explanation. Your niece is probably being excessively reticent because of a desire for confidentiality. Perhaps she does not wish to discuss this matter with other family members, or to be placed in the position of being questioned by them as she carries out her aunt's instructions. I would not worry at all about telling her my PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Could your name also be on the deeds of the house? It maybe need regarding property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stop being so Irish about it and phone your niece.

'Hi, how are things? Whats the situation, whats happened with the will and why do you need to know my PPS at this time?'.

Cos one thing is for sure, we here don't know why she's asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

why don't you ask your niece as people in here are only guessing?

If it helps your cause, I was executor of the will for my dad and he had left a few bits here and there for his siblings. I was tasked with gathering their PPS numbers and other relevant info to tax and some legal purposes. Maybe your sister left you something, doesn't matter how small your PPS number will be required! It has absolutely no use to her in any other ways.

• Administrators Posts: 13,531 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You simply don't know anything about your sisters estate. You assume she left the house to your niece, but you don't know. You assume the house is the only thing your sister had to leave. She would have had bank accounts, maybe savings, jewellery etc. She may not have even had a will. You simply don't know. So the best thing you can do is speak to your niece. If your sister has recently died then it is much more likely your niece is trying to sort out her estate rather than scam you.

Mod Note:

Posters are also reminded to keep replies civil in this forum. It is the Bereavement forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭beachhead

It's normal to ask for a PPSN number if you are entitled to any benefit from your late sister's estate.The Revenue here require it and the solicitor will need it to comply with Revenue rules

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How did she ask for it? By text, by letter, by phone?

Why didn't you just ask her at the time, why did you need it

Advertisement