Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Marathon Oct 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭racersedge

There was no 3:15 pacer in Pink A either (that I saw anyway). Saw the Red B 3:15 heading up at the start and looked around to see if there was any other around. Saw no flag so just had to go solo. Yet I could see two of other pacer times running in relatively close proximity when we doubled back at times. While I had planned to go out following it, I was confident enough to do the job myself of pacing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

4.09 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭racersedge

Came up in bonus territory with a 3:09. Done a full debrief in my training log but in short, I’m absolutely over the moon with that one - especially when I was only dreaming of getting to around 3:30 when I signed up in November!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Joined the sub3 club!!

Finished in 2:55:56. 12 minutes off my previous best. I put it down to a few things

1 - Ran with power so I only ever looked at one number. I couldn't get caught up in paces or HR.

2 - Monster weeks. Topped out at 110km a few times and included two 40km Long runs. I stuck to the plan religiously too

3 - Jammy with weather, work, Covid and injury. I went to Manchester with negative tests and a cold but felt better on Sunday

4 - Didn't aim for it but I dropped 9kg in the past six months. Down to 70kg which had to help

Overall, Manchester was a great course if a little boring. Not sure what to do next. I don't think I can do another block like that so happy to leave my PB where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Thought I was over the covid but it sucked everything out of my legs, honestly the sorest I've ever been after a marathon. Hardly able to walk today. Like I never trained for it at all. That second bout of it on the 18th March sealed my fate, was just happy to finish in the end

• Advertisement

Just registered for 2023.

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭FinnC

Oh cool didn’t know there was a thread.

Just did the same!

I booked the Aer Lingus 5pm flight out of Manchester on the Sunday.

Now I’m starting to wonder have I left myself enough time to catch the flight?

I wondering really have I left enough time if there are any delays in getting bags after marathon, getting to airport or even getting through security at airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Just checked, when I did it we'd booked the Aer Lingus 20:15 which was delayed anyway.

From memory I reckon we would have comfortably made the earlier flight but didn't want any pressure.

The bag drop was seamless less than 90 seconds to get the bag very well organised.

And once you finish and get your bags what’s the best way to head then? Will the metro remain open during the marathon around that area?

Plan was hopefully get a metro straight after to a train station to go straight to Airport.

• Advertisement

Nevermind, I just changed my flight to the later time. Don’t want the stress of worrying about catching a flight.

We went to a pub around the corner and stayed there for 3 or 4 hours and then got an uber directly to the airport think it was £25 or so.

We didn't use the Metro but did see it running straight past our hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Signed up for this in September when the early access came out, just completed my first marathon on sunday but really looking forward to putting in a decent training block and hopefully sickness doesn't get in the way this time!

I have a 18 week plan starting in December but reckon i'm going to keep the legs ticking over for the next 4 weeks to build up even more of a base and add some speed training to start working towards getting a sub 4 hour marathon. Thats my main goal for next year whether it happens in Manchester in April or Dublin in October

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭winstonia

Train to the airport only takes 20mins. You can also rent out an electric scooter to get ye around. Just need an app on the phone.

Uber to the airport costs £45 these days.

Seems expensive, I just checked and at this moment Uber is £22.93.

Hmmmm, might because last time it was for the marathon as it's showing £25 for me also

Maybe straight after with surge pricing, by the time we got the taxi the crowd had gone into town while we were still out around Old Trafford.

Certainly considering going to Manchester again.

It's between Edinburgh, Manchester, Paris or Hamburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Barcelona is on in March (paddys weekend) and is 80 euro or something

That's my next one

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Im thinking of doing Manchester again, I really enjoyed it last time I ran it . I have done Paris previously but Barcelona is certainly tempting...has anyone run this before??

My friend ran it a few years ago and the heat killed him.

• Advertisement

apparently it can be hit and miss, might not be too warm in march, especially if marathon starts early am.

consider that DCM this year was around 14-15 degrees.

Barcelona March Averages:

• LOW TEMPERATURE
    • 7.8°C
    • 46°F
    • DAY TEMPERATURE
    • 12.8°C
    • 55°F
    • NIGHT TEMPERATURE
    • 12.1°C
    • 54°F

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Yeah a certain element of luck with the weather in any marathon, it could be lashing rain in Manchester in April no doubt.

sure nobody is dry when they cross the finish line no matter the weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

I ran Barcelona in 2018..i think i was lucky as it only got warm for the last few miles..

Would you consider Seville ? I ran it 2 years ago, it was very cold for the first few miles but warmed up nicely without being too warm..and it's flat..

Beautiful city too..

interested to hear your experience of BCN as it will be my first time. looks decent from what i have seen on youtube

Which Airport did you fly into for Seville and how did you get to Seville from the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭4Ad

I flew to Faro (from Shannon)..you can get a bus from the airport to Seville,approx 3 hours.

On another trip I have flown to Stanstead, then direct to Seville which would better for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭whatnext

Just signed up for this. I’m running alone. Anyone in else here targeting sub 3:30? ( but not by much!! ) It’s a bit of a no mans land. But I’d love to be tackling it with a bit of company on the day.

Just did that for Chicago. I'm hoping for sub 3:20 in Manchester, but that's all dependent on how the training is going after 8 weeks. If I feel I'm struggling, I'm going to revert to the sub 3:30 training plan

I registered for the Kinvara half marathon which is on March 4th. Fits perfectly in with my training plan. My long run that weekend is due to be a 90min run anyway, so will push it a bit, and do the half at marathon pace.

• Advertisement

17c in Manchester during that run today. Probably be snowing in April.

Advertisement