Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym mats

• 28-10-2022 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get gym mats at a decent price ? I need to cover an area of about 4.2m x 4.52m . or maybe theres a cheaper alternative?

I see some sites have the interlocking mat tiles but some sites are charging 17 euro and over for 60cm x 60cm mat tiles, without the delivery cost and I would need quite a few of these tiles to cover the area above and it would be expensive in the end. I just want to convert a room from an old house into a gym for weights rowing etc.

Any other cheap alternatives? It's not a professional gym it's only for myself but would like to get the floor kitted out somehow.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'd forget the smaller interlocking gym tiles, which are generally too thin, and get the 1m square version. Buy the thickest ones you can to protect the floor underneath and minimise noise. They don't interlock so what you'd be doing is fitting them flush to each other and cutting them to fit the corners and walls. If you lay them right then they will have no play and won't move. The base of the tiles are usually quite naturally grippy, which helps.

If you're going to be dropping weights, and depending on the condition of the floor underneath, you might also want to consider putting big sheets of ply down first.

Unfortunately this is not that cheap, but it's the best way to go.

Something like this might but the best budget option https://www.mcsport.ie/collections/gym-flooring-2563/products/hit-fitness-gym-flooring-pack-of-4-1m-x-1m-x-15mm-1?variant=40274088493135

I've heard people also talk about buying horse stall mats but I've never gone this route.

Advertisement