Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family Boat

Options
  • 03-08-2022 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi

Looking to purchase my first boat for a family of 5. 2 adults and 3 kids, 12,8 and 6. Thinking a cabin would be good. Will be used on lake. Seen a bayliner 175 but worried about wet weather, also fuel consumption on a 3l inboard.

Is winter best time to purchase. Budget is 10k max.

Post edited by fergal.b on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You might find better advice in the Sailing & Boating forum;

Regarding best time to buy.. a combination of Brexit (severely restricting the U.K. market), and Covid (people wanting to leisure boat without getting on a plane) means that there's no good time to buy anymore, but I would suspect that towards seasons end might be a good time to pick something up, but also maybe at the beginning of Spring when marina fee renewals go out could be a good time to pick up a bargain (if bargains still exist).

If you put Ireland and your budget into Yacht Market you can see what sort of options you have...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I moved you here where you might have better luck. You might also want to think about the towing capability of your car or if you can get a mooring space.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭pete6296

Think i found the ideal boat for lake.

Any opinions very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

In my opinion a 15ft boat with a small cabin is a bit small for a family of 5. A cabin is handy for keeping things dry but most people dont launch if there is rain forecast. You loose a lot of space with a cabin on a small boat.

• Advertisement

That name would probably have to go….

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Finding what works for you is a tricky business, but in my experience, it comes down to a two basic things 1) your intended usage pattern and 2) how easy it is for you to use it. Where is starts to become tricky, usually straight away, is that answering those questions can be a bit complicated. By how easy, I mean how far do you have to tow it to get to your usage spot? Or how long to get there if it is on a mooring? Big difference between being 5 minutes away and an hour plus. Where will you store it? What tow vehicle do you have? The simple fact is, the easier it is for you to use it, then the more often you will use it. The size of the boat will also be a factor here, especially if you have to tow, launch and recover each time.

A 175 or similar is a great option for keeping things simple. Easy to tow, launch and recover. Great for spinning about with towable and good for skiing behind. Nice option for a bit of distance on a lake and, as it is a bowrider, it is quite spacious. In short, it is a really nice all rounder. However, it is a day boat and a good weather day boat at that. You could load it up with camping gear and head off for a night or two, but that’s about it.

As for fuel, well it all depends on how you use it. If you are flying around at high speed for most of your outing, then yeah, she’ll drink juice. If you go out, have a spin about, swim, picnic, and relax. In other words, if you make the speedy part, a portion of your outing then you could have a day out without burning loads of fuel. It all depends.

Next step up size wise is a ‘cuddy’ and anything with a half decent cuddy is going to be 19ft+. So, it’s bigger and heavier. In the bigger ones, you can overnight but the ones around 19ft are realistically still day boats with the added advantage of somewhere to sit if it starts to rain. Bigger means more expensive to run, marginally more difficult to launch, and recovery + towing may necessitate a bigger car etc.

If you want to do comfortable weekends (as a 2+3) then you start to verge into sports cruiser territory or do an about turn to a cruiser. These days, you are going to need deep pockets to run a sports cruiser. A cruiser, well that’s very nice, and you could have great weekends/weeks away but you ain't going to go skiing behind it. Both would require a berth or mooring.

As for the boats you have mentioned the 175 and the 15ft cuddy (I’d say that is not a lot better than a broom closet), nobody can really advise you, as you have not stated [my first point] how you intend to use your boat. It all comes down to that! Concentrate on your usage pattern first and it will become more obvious to you what will work for you and what won’t.

I’m sure you’ve heard of the adage, ‘the two best days in boating...’. Personally, I think it is a load of crap. I’ve had my own boats (power and sail) for over 20 years and everyday I’ve been out has been fab. The thing is though, I guess there is enough truth in ‘the two best days’ thing for it to ring true, and is more likely to ring true if you don’t make the right choice for your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭pete6296

Thanks very much for your comprehensive detail. Boat will be stored in my garage. Pier for lake is 1 min from my front door, boat can be moored there until i want to store it. We like to go out on lake to explore a few islands. Cabin wud be ideal for dry storage of camping gear etc. I have been searching alot and i found boat that i posted seems to tick all the boxes and hope to get for 6.5k. Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Sounds, like a good plan. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

I’ve an Orkney Fastliner 19. Use it on big lakes and gone to a good few islands off Ireland now. I like fishing and family trips. It’s great for us and is cheap to run (4 stroke , tow it with car etc.)

If you want to tow inflatables, hard to knock the likes of the 175 and other bow riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

I have an Orkney Fastliner 19 too. Great sea boat, plenty of room with the open cabin. In good weather we have gone 22miles off the coast!!

Advertisement