Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a nest?

• 22-10-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

In garage roof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Looks like a swallow nest, is the bird poo on the floor.

I don't think it is a wasp nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Looks like a swallows nest (or swift can never remember the difference) definitely does not look like a bees nest to me, but I am sure an expert here will come.

Assuming that it is a birds nest, if possible leave it, just put a sheet of plastic under it to catch the all the crap, easy clean up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

That could be it. No droppings under it but there is along a window sill.

No activity around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Looks like a house martin's nest, they've probably left for the year already.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

A birds nest, swallow or house martin, both birds and nests are protected and should not be touched. As said above put some newspapers or plastic where the droppings appear. Make sure you don't accidently block access to the nest, the birds will be back next year and will give you hours of free enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

We adopted a feral cat (now mostly tamed), gave him a box and blanket in the garage. Rigged up a small gap for him to get in and out. That must be how the bird gets in and out.

Any chance it would be a robin? There is a friendly one about the place. Perches on the wheelbarrow handle when I'm weeding and on the wheely bin handle sometimes when I'm pottering about the garage.

The cat brings mice but luckily never birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Looks like a swallows nest to me and they have left for the winter.

I had seven nests this year .. usually only 4-5 ... two fell down mid summer.

they can be lovely to watch late in the evening and early morning .. but when two nests are next to my office window upstairs it makes working from home painful during warm summer days as I can't open the window !

you'd be surprised how much dropping they manage to amass over a year !

Advertisement