Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bailey is something special. Jakobi is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think we've just seen Mac lose his job. Wow.

In fairness Mac is a lot better than what he's been showing this year but you just can't deny Bailey with what he's done so far.

And the fact he broke the college yardage and touchdown season records just makes you believe he's the man.

He's showing off now as I type with that throw to Parker, just wow.

And now we are in front, Bailey 4 of 4 for 97 yards.

I'm now fully aboard the Bailey train after what he's done in this game. He's just lifted the whole team on both sides of the ball.

Trent Brown has been a big problem giving away penalties and stalling drives tonight.

Bailey's punting has been awful too.

Looks like we are going to lose this one, down by nine and the Bears starting in good field position after another terrible punt.

That's that, conceding 32 points to the Bears is just awful and I'm putting most of it on Bailey and the offense with lots of three and outs and bad punts. Defense has been on the field most of the second half.

• Advertisement

Just an awful night. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How do you shut out the top scoring team then concede 31 to the lowest scoring team two weeks apart

As I said the offense and punting were responsible. Our defense spent 38 minutes on the field last night. We gave up ten points right at the end of the second quarter where our defense were off their feet. Trent Brown's penalties cost us, poor throws cost us.

I don't think any of Bailey's punts went more than 40 yards and they weren't very high either as the receiver had loads of room to run after catching them.

In fairness Fields was very good last night and my current pick for DPOY, Roquain Smith, was pretty incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

I think the D needs a hard look at itself to be honest they were in position enough times to get the bears off the field last night.We are so slow there and miss barmore massively in the pass rush to try hide that slowness in the middle.Mccourty gone off a cliff also.Also the bears not getting Offensive holding called against them really was a joke at times too seeing as they were beaten up with injuries there and headlocking guys on alot of plays.Beaten by the better team regardless still.

Offense wise we go from two well called games to a shitshow with mac to get us in a rut and the run game died a death early.Zappe also not great either after the fumble on the third drive he had.

It will be like this all year i reckon and 9-8 is where our ceiling is i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That was a game that mac jones and the defense both lost. Zappe played exceedingly well most plays but had a couple of rookie mistakes. He has a high ceiling and given we're not likely a playoff team this year I'd give him the rest of the year.

• Advertisement

The D was on the field far too long and D's get tired if they don't get a break. All those three and outs mean they get no rest between drives so it's understandable what happened to them.

They were on the field for eight plays, we went three and out and they then conceded the first touchdown on a nine play drive.

The second touchdown we conceded was after a bunch of short drives where they were on the field quickly three times.

Second half started with a ten play Bears drive leading to a field goal, then a Patriots three and out followed by another ten play drive for a field goal then another three and out and then the Bears eight play td drive to put them up 33-14.

As you can see from that they got no rest.

Offensive line were the main issue giving up penalties, not pass protecting to a high enough level and being pretty poor on run blocking too. Bailey's punting was a huge issue too.

Mac made one of the worst throws Ive seen a NE quarterback make in a long time, but a pick six was wiped out by a penalty.

We than have the ball at the 12 yard line with 25 seconds left and 3 timeouts.

Run - penalty

Run

Run

Kneel Down

That's zero confidence shown in him - maybe rightfully so - and I'll be surprised to see him in the second half.

Despite everything that's fine on we are 4-4 and lying eighth in the conference just one game out if making the playoffs.

We have to face the Bills twice, we have the Vikings as well. Outside of that all other games are very winnable.

I'd be hoping we end up with a winning season.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

That pack six throw was apparently Myers fault from a few tape heads I've seen since.

Thought Mac was much better second half, he's clearly rusty and confidence looks to be rock bottom, they just need to build him back up bit by bit and play to his strengths again.

Stevenson is such a monster , what a player.

Yes I seen those reviews myself and gotta agree with them.

Mac's confidence isn't very high I'm sure. I honestly think Parker's injury is a good thing for him right now. Nearly all his picks before the injury were balls thrown to DeVante and they were aggressive throws into double coverage most often.

I'd hope somebody explained the booing to him as in that they weren't booing Mac, they were booing anybody that wasn't Bailey.

It's almost a pity we're still in contention IMO. For me if we were 2-6 now, Zappe may be given a few games

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Coreyhotline

I kind of held off commenting after the Bears game because I wanted to see how Mac would go in the next few weeks. However, one interesting post-script from that Bears game is Scott Pioli was saying that the tape had caught up with Zappe, with d-linemen easing off and putting their hands up when Bailey was going to throw (because he's shorter than most). To be honest, I didn't see it but I only saw highlights so may well have been the case. Of course, as we well know from the Texans "leatherman" game, we can solve that problem so I'm surprised the O-line didn't adjust. Indeed, perhaps that's more a reflection on the state of the O-line than anything.

The D were just physically beat up in Chicago more than anything else, which I'm fine with as you can fix that, and have shown again that they are capable of dominating games. I do think we have an issue with running qbs, even going back to when tyrod taylor was qb in buffalo. Looking at it, there doesn't seem to have been as much emphasis on keeping the contain, several of Fields runs were through gaps where Judon was trying to get around the outside. I wonder if this is because we can't play a 3-4 as the base defence because we don't really have a 2-gapper. I thought it was interesting in Uche's comments after this week's game, he talked about making sure he never got past level with the QB, so this might be something that is being addressed.

We are what we are at this stage, which is a great defence and decent special teams saddled with an offence that will not win a track meet type game, and that will struggle against good defences. The real test will be when we meet the Bills or Miami again, as that will demonstrate whether we can keep those offences to the kind of scores we can count on from offence (low 20s).

On a side note, I know BB probably doesn't like in-season trades in, but when I was looking at the Bears game in particular, the one area I thought we could improve the defence significantly was at the MLB. I thought Roquan Smith would have been perfect, so would have looked like a freakin oracle if I'd posted it when I first thought of it!

Be interesting to see what Mac looks like after the bye, I think a reset is needed during this bye to get him back on track. He's really been nursed through these last few games since Chicago, same number of attempts but much shorter distances and less aggressive throws, presumably to build him back up. Even then, he's still made some horrific throws that would make you wonder if his head is just gone. All the feedback from training camp was that he'd stepped up a level, so hopefully they can get him back towards that.

Well the big issue is the offensive line at the minute. Between penalties from both tackles and breakdowns in pass protection they've been very poor. It's not fair to judge Mac when the line is putting him in long yardage situations a lot and not protecting him a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Coreyhotline

Hopefully we take care of the Vikings tonight, would make our game with Buffalo next week really interesting. Anyway, on a slightly tenuous Patriots note, saw Scott Pioli was on Her Huddle this week. I always liked Pioli, and he's a great analyst/talking head, always interesting and insightful. Anyway, as if that wasn't enough, he gained extra respect today from me for rocking a pair of Doc Martens 😀Just not what you see from your average NFL exec.

Great opening drive, Mac looked real good there.

• Advertisement

Mac 28 of 39, 382 yards 2 TDs and no picks. He got good protection most of the night and looked great.

It's a crushing loss, a running into the kicker penalty cost us the game.

The offensive line has to get credit for their performance. If they keep that up we still have a great chance of making the playoffs.

Mac showed his quality tonight. He was getting the ball out quick she accurately. He just needs a little time and he's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

The tie breaker over the Jets is massive.

Wild card spots are narrowing down to Dolphins, Bengals, Jets, Pats and Chargers (or replace Dolphins Bengals with Bills Ravens if those division leads change).

There are good odds 3 of those teams being 6-5 when this weekend is over.

Didnt stay up for the game last night, just finished the watch through there. Pleasantly surprised by our offense, Mac had a great game and as others rightly said the roughing the kicker and BS non catch call cost us the game. The passing game was like a different playbook compared to earlier in the year. Hopefully - like the broadcast commentary said - Jones is being coached up

That no catch call confused me. Even if you deemed he was fumbling with it in the end zone it still seemed like a catch to me and should have been given as a catch at the 1 yard line.

Bill Belichick's dream player, Marcus Jones a cornerback who is great on ST's and takes a reception from Mac Jones at the 50 and goes all the way.

1:05 left in the half, you turn the ball over at midfield, you have a timeout and you know Buffalo gets the ball to start the half.

So you run the ball twice, run the clock down to 29 seconds and play for the long FG attempt that ends up missing.

Such cowardly coaching. The boos are deserved.

The problem was, and has been almost all year, that the offensive line is horrendous.

Mac Jones gets a lot of stick but you need more than 1.5 seconds to get yourself set to throw good balls consistently.

Also a field goal at that stage would have made it a seven point game.

I had no issue with the FG attempt, but the clock management and field position management was the problem. With 65 seconds and a timeout there was still a chance to push further downfield to shorten the FG attempt and leave less time on the clock before the half.

A clear out is needed. New offensive coaches including a line coach. New players as well, we need to use our first and second round picks on tackles. We are in big trouble on both sides of the line.

Trent Brown isn't that old but looks finished to me, Isaiah Wynn never got started.

Somehow last week against the Vikings the OL did their job for a lot of the game and we seen what Mac Jones is capable of. If we get that line sorted we'll win a lot if games. We don't even have a truly elite receiver.

When you look around the league there's very few teams whose receiving corp is as bad as ours. The Giants, Jags, Texans, Ravens, Chiefs, Panthers and Falcons might be close to our level of talent at receiver. That means there's 24 teams in better shape than us.

• Advertisement

Some good points there, and I agree with pretty much all of them. What do most of those teams have in common? They are run first teams. We have something special in Stevenson IMO, and with a good line we should maximise that. I don't think Jones is the second coming of brady but he's certainly a kirk cousins level player. Good enough in the right scenario. If you imagine a world where Nkeal Harry was Jamarr Chase, we'd have a great team. Run rhamondre and then play action downfield to the notional chase/harry.

We don't even need an elite receiver though. A good line, two good tight ends that can block and stretch the middle of the field - helping in the play action game, and a couple of solid WRs we should be good enough to compete. I think as it stands right now we're OK with Jones (I'd like to see Zappe get some time too, see if he is any better), we're good at RB, one more WR, a couple of OL, maybe one addition somewhere on defense. I'm happy with Judon this year, leading the NFL in sacks is no small feat this late in the seasons.

Coaching however is the big one for me. We havent replaced mcdaniels well. Not saying mcdaniels was god tier or anything but at least he had some offensive mindset. Patricia /Matty P coaching offense is like asking Brady to play tight end. Even if you're a brilliant QB, best to ever do it, you're not gonna be necessarily good at tight end. Patricia was ok on defense but he's not an OC. Clearly.

Advertisement