Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You only get what you give

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, always good to work for the medal. And a PB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Thanks D, for sure it's nice there was actually more people in my age category than normally at this event. Means I have to put more work in which is good for sure!

DM Training Week 8 (Hanson Beginner)

Monday 15th August

10.5K in 1:05:12 @ 6:12min/km. Half of this run was in company with some running mates which was good, one of which is just returning to running after having her first child back in March. The second half of the run was on my own and went off road to the trail/sand dunes around the Banna area.

Tuesday 16th August

6 x 800m speed w 400m recovery, 2K w/u & c/d

First time since starting these in recent weeks that I could do them around home. Using the same stretch of road I've used for similar work before as it's pretty flat and straight so manageable enough with traffic. Forgot to hit the lap button after my warm up so I don't have a split time for the first 800 2.9K w/u and 1st split in 16:22 @ 5:38min/km, but for the rest it went as follows 3:50, 3:46, 3:53, 3:47, 3:50. 2K c/d in 11:57 @ 5:49min/km. Worn a different pair of runners than the previous intervals had been done in, went with my Next% Tempos so they felt pretty nice for the faster stuff.

12K in total for the session

Wednesday 17th August

Off

Thursday 18th August

8K Tempo, 2K w/u & c/d

2K in 12:02 @ 5:58min/km, 8K in 41:19 @ 5:10min/km, 2K in 12:27 @ 6:13min/km

Using what are now an old pair of Nike Zoomfly Flyknits (still the only pair I have) but have 400K on them...still holding up well thankfully. I used to use them for 5K and 10K races as a fast shoe. I ran over to Causeway and then a small out and back off the loop over there to make up the distance I was going to be running. Bit of a decent head wind on the second half of the run and a short sharp hill after a long drag probably contributed to the last K of the tempo section feeling tough. Pace wise I'm still on the fast side for these, should be 5:20s avg but not doing well on the pacing for them yet.

Friday 19th August

8K in 47:46 @ 5:58min/km.

Saturday 20th August

Tralee parkrun, 27:11 @ 5:53min/km. 2K w/u before hand and 3K easy run afterwards to get the planned 10K for the day. Just ran this with a few people I know through parkrun so just chatting away for the full thing. Hadn't done parkrun in Tralee for 2.5 months for a variety of reasons but would like to make it more often and do my Saturday run as part of it when possible. Bit of buzz about the town as the festival has kicked off.

Sunday 21st August

17K Long in 1:40:00 @ 5:52min/km. Ran this with some running mates who were doing 22.5K on the day so I split off around 13K to run the last 4K on my own. Again where possible I will probably work my own runs around the group where possible as it's an easy way getting the mileage in chatting away. Just when I got back to Ardfert I could feel a bit of tightness in my left quad. Something new so will keep an eye on it over the next few days. Possibly take tomorrow off and see how it is for the session on Tuesday or drop the session.

Weekly total: 68.4K (highest weekly mileage so far this year)

Year to date: 1397.8K

Another week down, so far so good. Little bit worried about the quad so will watch that space.

DM Training Week 9 (Hanson Beginner)

Monday 22nd August

Easy 8K on the plan but decided to take a rest day and hopefully be good for the session tomorrow.

Tuesday 23rd August

5 x 1K w 400m recovery, 2K w/u & c/d

Did this as part of a club session I was leading, just had two other guys from the club with me who both did these at 5K pace or faster. In my case I was looking towards 10K pace for them. It broke down as follows

1K w/u in 6:10 @ 6:05min/km (on my own), 1.1K w/u in 7:06 @ 6:24min/km (with the others)

1K splits of 4:44, 4:51, 4:45, 4:44, 4:39

2K c/d in 12:18 @ 6:05min/km

The quad felt okay, no worse for the session. Annoying really as effort wise and pace wise they felt fine.

10.8K in total for the session

Wednesday 24th August

Off. First night of juvenile cross country training with my athletic club and went well. We have a new coach this year for XC and the athletes seemed to enjoy it. From my side of things I quite enjoyed being an assistant coach again, never been very comfortable with leading sessions so nice just to be helping out. Unfortunately took a big whack to the head later on that evening from a swinging metal door as the wind caught it and almost knocked me out. The bump was still there until the weekend.

Thursday 25th August

13K Tempo, 2K w/u & c/d

No ill effects from Tuesday's session (or the whack on the head) so said I'd give it a go, I was stalling big time getting out of the house to do it as it's a serious mid week run for me to take on. Having finished work at 5pm it was almost 6:30pm before I started the run. Ran to Ballyheigue from home, took the long route around the village through the golf course and then back to Causeway on the line road. Big focus for me on this was to ease back the pace a bit and midway through the tempo section was feeling it a bit but it was because I'd speed up too much (low 5min K) so eased it back and tired to keep it in the same zone throughout. After the gel talk earlier on boards I used a few shot bloks on this just to try them out again after a few years. Nicely the quad felt better after this than it did beforehand so all good. I added an extra K onto the cool down as I was over a K from home when I finished the planned distance so just jogged it on for another K. Worn my Nike Air Tempo Next% for these, had also worn them for the intervals on Tuesday.

2K in 11:55 @ 5:55min/km, 13K in 69 @ 5:19min/km, 3K in 17:24 @ 5:48min/km

Friday 26th August

10K easy in 1:02:07 @ 6:11min/km, met some running mates over near Banna and took in an easy run and just the chat.

Saturday 27th August

8K easy was on the plan but a now former work colleague said to me a few weeks back that she was coming down to Kerry with some mates to do Mount Brandon. I told I'd never done it before and they asked would I be interested so I said feck it I'd give it a go. Little bit nervous about it on the drive over that morning as have never done stuff like this before but I managed to have accumulated enough correct gear over the year (hydration backpack from Dingle Adventure Race finally got another use) and trail runners I bought earlier this year (Saucony Peregrine) were ideal, also first aid stuff/survival bag/food etc just in case...I was in the scouts when I was young so could well recall the necessary things just in case. We started off around 9ish and sometime after 12pm we reached the top having taken a more difficult route on the Cloghan side. The group took a good few breaks enroute which was grand, allowing some people to catch up who started late. Difficultly wise it was fine for the most part, few bits of scrambling here and there and I find ridges a little bit daunting to look down from as the land drops away but would do it again. Coming down we took a longer route down to finish at the Conor Pass so by my GPS I clocked it at 14.8K and we finished around 5:30/5:45pm. Long day on the feet! We crossed another 3/4 smaller mountains on the way to the Conor Pass so I was joking with them I loved the idea of having to cross more mountains to simply go down a mountain. A good day out and my head was thankful for it as had quite a stressful time over the last week or two that I'm addressing by taking a step back from a few things I'm involved with in the next month or so.

Sunday 28th August

24K Long in 2:29:33 @ 6:13min/km. Met a running mate out at Fenit to use the new greenway for this. My legs were very stiff and feet very tired so we'd said we'd do an out and back on the open section (not all the Greenway is open yet) so that would be around 13K. We took in the pier around the harbour and back to the car then. 15.3K on the watch so refilled the drink bottle and said we'd head out the greenway for another out and back....planning to hit 20K anyways. Pace wise this is the easiest pace I've ran in a while but within range. On the out and back myself and my mate said sure we might as well stay going and we'd get the 24K. Last 2K were tough as we were both tired but delighted to get it done. Certainly if you said to me 12hours earlier than I'd do 24K I'd have said no chance. Small nap with I went home then and into town with my wife and daughter as we'd our wedding anniversary to celebrate.

Weekly total: 62.8K (Back a little from last week but not including the hike which if I'd done run instead would have increased the mileage)

Year to date: 1460.60K

A difficult week mainly on the non running sides of things but the running went well, the hike was something new but realistically won't be looking at doing this sort of thing again until post marathon.

DM Training Week 10 (Hanson Beginner)

Monday 29th August

Legs (and feet) pretty tired after the weekend's effort, very stiff this morning getting up so do some calf raises and that sorted it (need to do these a few times a week to keep the physio away). There was an easy 11K on the plan but met up with some running mates to use local 4.5K loop whilst my daughter was at camogie training. Little bit later starting off so just time for 7.5K in 47:36 @ 6:20min/km but having been not able to run last Monday I was happy with it.

Tuesday 30th August

4 x 1200K w 400m recovery, 2K w/u & c/d...the last of the speed sessions before Tuesday's become strength sessions for the remainder of the plan. That will mean longer and slower intervals with larger recovery periods and will mean a step up in mileage on another evening of the week.

Took care of this one after work, this time doing it on my own near home on the patch of road I regularly use for intervals. It's slightly faster going one direction than the other usually I find due to a very slight decline/incline at each end of the road and of course the wind in play on the day. Yesterday went well but I did find the last interval tough going and took a few secs to recover after it before doing the cool down jog home. Used my Saucony Endorphin Speeds for this.

2K w/u in 12:04 @ 5:59min/km,

The splits for the 1200 were 5:38, 5:48, 5:43, 5:44 (plan was to be in the 5:35-5:50 min range for this).

2K c/d in 11:27 @ 5:42min/km

10K in total for the session

Wednesday 31st August

Off. Legs feeling good so did some calf raises on my lunch to keep things good.

• Advertisement

DM Training Week 10 (Hanson Beginner) continued

Thursday 1st September

13K Tempo, 2K w/u & c/d

Thursday runs are the ones I kinda fear most on the Hanson plan, Tuesday speed sessions are tough but Thursday's tempo require a bit more motivation I find to go out the door. Tbh I think if they were reversed in the plan I'd be the same...it's just you do have some fatigue in the legs from Tuesday with the intervals but I have been managing okay. Was going to use the same route as I did the previous week but changed my mind enroute and adjusted it a slight bit using more of what is known as the line road (long flat straight). I worn my 2-3 year old (only 400K) Nike Zoomflys for this and I really think they've probably reached the end as nowhere near as comfortable as the Next% Tempos I worn the previous week. Effort wise I try to maintain effort throughout but the last 2K of the tempo section has a good drag and hill so always get a spike there. Conveniently finished my run at a blackberry bush near my house so stocked up for the overnight oats for the days ahead.

Session broke down as

2K in 11:57 @ 5:56min/km, 13K in 68:06 @ 5:15min/km, 2K in 11:55 @ 5:56min/km

Friday 2nd September

8K easy at lunchtime in 46:18 @ 5:47min/km

Saturday 3rd September

Dingle Half Marathon

Second last of the pre-covid purchased entries being used with this (DM 2022 will be the final one) race.

My 6th time running the race, it's one I really enjoy despite being very expensive race, north of 60 euro before booking fees but they do a great job and running the Slea Head on closed roads is a great experience. The top (and medal if you're into them) are probably consistently the best across almost all events in a year.

Arrived in Dingle for 8am so got a lovely prime parking spot about 50 meters from the start line, I love a good parking spot and will drive to events very early to get one if I can. Dropped the bag to the back drop and did a short 1K warmup. Back to the car to shed a few layers, weather wise it was pretty cold and I was planning to run in my club singlet as a practice run, it's a new version so not used it in a race before so today along a few other things like certain shorts were a practice run. Footwear wise I went with my Saucony Triumphs. Considering getting another pair of these as once I got used to them they are a great shoe in fairness...just the right amount of cushioning without too much sacrifice in weight. As it appeared the heavens were due to open any minute I put a bin bag on and ended up leaving it on for the first 2 miles.

Assembled at the start line for around 8:50, met some clubmates and compared notes and plans for the day. In my case my plan was to run it around 2 hours, probably use the pace group for it but I couldn't spot them at the start. At 9am away we went, it's a big race around 1600 runners across half and full marathon distance so you always have a few people around you. Not long into the race it started raining fairly consistently and as we were passing through Ventry it was raining really heavily and also there was some thunder and lightening which was a bit disconcerting. I think we were around 5 miles when a real serious downpour kicked in, the kinda rain that both soaks you and kinda beats you down but luckily we didn't have wind to contend with and it didn't last for too long. Pace wise I was using the mile markers for reference point and doing my 9 times table with each one to keep tabs, effort wise holding steady and trying not to push too hard on any of the climbs. I caught up with the 2 hour pace group around 6 miles and was going to stick with them to the end. I did that for around two miles but felt I was having to check my stride a bit so just moved ahead of the pack into free space. Once there I just kept tipping along at much the same pace until around 10 miles, the weather had cleared then and having dried out somewhat I felt a little cold so decided to pick up the pace a bit. Time wise doing the maths I worked out sub 1:55 was going to be probably achieveable without having to do anything major so that became the target. The hill at mile 11 nasty as ever and a lot stop to walk it but managed to run it fine. Last 2K or then to Dunquin was a nice respite as it's pretty much downhill to there and you can start to hear the sound of the finish area with those at the pub. Last push over the last K to record my fastest K of the race....4:47 and then 4:04 pace for 0.2K as it worked out. Gross time/Chip time 1:55:40/1:54:20

Delighted to meet a fellow DCM Novice 2015 neildafunkone at the finish line (been quite a few years since I met him) so great to chat up. Meet DeepBlue from these parts as well who ran a cracking time on course and in excellent form. Met up with some clubmates taking part on the day and then back to Dingle on the bus. Enjoyable day and will be back again next year.

22.1K for the day including 1K w/u

Sunday 4th September

Met up with some friends in Ballyheigue for a short run, heading out the road to meet one of the guys on the last stretch of his half marathon run that morning. We're planning to link up again for our 27K runs next Sunday so that will be good to have company for that.

7K easy (1K in 6:12 & 6K in 34:50 @ 5:45min/km)

Weekly total: 71.6K (Highest mileage since early August 2021)

Year to date: 1532.20K (all being well should hit the 1000 miles this week)

Into week 11 of the plan, I had to check out mid week 10 the last time I used the plan so so far so good. Strength work instead of speed work on Tuesday will be a change in the week ahead. Still a very slight niggle in my left quad so will book a physio apt to get it checked out. Not causing any issues but would be lying if I said it wasn't there.

DM Training Week 11 (Hanson Beginner)

Monday 5th September

Easy 8K to do, 8K in 46:28 @ 5:48min/km. This run went fine for the most part but after 6K could really got quite a good bit of discomfort in my left foot. Felt it slightly on the run the day before but nothing of note. Today I said I stop and try ease it out but that did nothing. I did run the last 2K home but was not comfortable....limping the next day after the run as well so physio time.

Tuesday 6th-Saturday 10th September

No running, tried a run on Thursday but checked out after about 300m as just did not feel right. Had a physio appointment on Friday afternoon, was worried it was possible a stress fracture but based on his tests he says it's not and thinks it's just some inflammation where the metatarsals meets some other bones (I think the cuboid bone it's called) and that a week's rest from running should sort it out. Disappointed but hopefully it's just a silly niggle that goes away as quick as it came. I can walk and cycle with it guess that will have to do for now.

Sunday 11th September

Out on the bike for the first time in months, only did 21.5K in 52mins. Will be doing a good bit more on the bike in the days/week ahead to try hold onto fitness.

Weekly total: 8K (Feck)

Year to date: 1540.20K (all being well should hit the 1000 miles this week year)

Week 11 of the plan didn't cause any issues as I never got to do it, hopefully back running at the end of the week.

DM Training Week 12 (Hanson Beginner)

Monday 12th September - Sunday 18th September

No runs but got out on the bike for 5 days instead, cycling is fine but I have never developed a grá for it...maybe I don't do enough of it or probably moreso when I do it it's because I'm the (frustrated) injured runner so only do a few sporadic stints here and there.

Weekly total: 0K

Year to date: 1540.20K (carried over)

Week 12 thoughts, no runs completed...good training block this!

Post edited by diego_b on

DM Training Week 13 (Hanson Beginner Make the start line)

Monday 19th September

Another cycle day, 27.6K @ 24.9kph

Tuesday 20th September

First run in just over two weeks, 5K easy on the beach (avg pace 5:56min/km) ....manageable but not very comfortable and a bit ugh. Foot no better or worse from it so it's the start of the comeback hopefully.

Wednesday 21st September

Got out for a cycle at lunchtime, decided to try push the pace a bit to hopefully encourage more of a training effect similar to running a steady/tempo pace. It was only a 21K cycle in 45mins but the average pace was 27.3kph so felt difficult than cycling the previous week.

Thursday 22nd September

Up to my parents place the previous evening and then took in the ploughing championships for something to do. Went to the local GAA that evening with the intention of running laps on the grass on the circumference of the pitches. Unfortunately training was on on both pitches so I could only run on grass for some of the lap with a half of the lap on a gravel track. It was okay, manageable but still not right yet. I did check it with the physio that I visited so he was happy with the progress. 5K tempo in 28:17 @ 5:39min/km.

Friday 23rd September

Off, up in Dublin for work/group activity and night out. Great to meet up with some people who I have not meet since before covid and some others who work at the other end of the country to me and would never meet regularly but would work on project teams with.

Saturday 24th September

Back to Kerry today, had thought about maybe trying a parkrun out but after a busy few days I took the lie in and hit the road in the mid morning. Back to the beach for a run then. Little bit more of a challenge this work as the tide was really gone out much at all so a bit more softer sand to run on. 5K easy in 31:34 @ 6:18min/km.

Sunday 25th September

Over on coaching duty to the first day of the county cross country championships, we had around 20 juveniles running across various age. A few individual medals were won and one team prize so nice to see the athletes get reward following their return to training mid last month. I hung around the watch the novice race on the day, seeing DeepBlue of these parts make his debut and run well. Once the event was finished then I had planned to do my own training run on the same course and run some laps. Two purposes for the training, one was to up the mileage a bit to 7K and two was to see about possibly considering to run in the master's race the next weekend. I did 7K on the course, it was fine but confirmed my thoughts that whilst I could do the distance that an attempt at a cross country race would do me no favours so keep training hopefully make the start line of Dublin. 7K in 42:49 @ 6:07min/km.

Weekly total: 22K

Year to date: 1562.20K

Week 13 thoughts, nice to be back running at least if not to the extent I would hope as of yet. Still hoping to make the start line if I can build up again. No taper will be required!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Fingers crossed for you!

• Advertisement

DM Training Week 14 (Hanson Beginner Make the start line)

Monday 26th September

Off, having thoughts about getting a second opinion on the niggle/injury as thought it would be cleared at this stage.

Tuesday 27th September

Club speed session, not sure how rational this was but said I'd enjoy the company/distraction at least running with a few club mates and see if I could irritate the foot a bit before getting another physio to have a look. Did the warm up and the first block of the fartlek session which would have covered around 4K and felt okay but got sore enough over the second half of the run. 8K in 43mins.

Wednesday 28th September - Friday 30th September

Off, combination of factors....feeling sorry for myself, maybe a little sore around the foot and demotivated to even bother with the bike as I had done so the previous week. On Friday morning I messaged the other physio (someone I have attended before with injuries) but didn't hear back and as he's due to travel and race at the moment I thought maybe he's on leave. My own fault really as probably should have checked in with him weeks ago.

Saturday 1st October

Still de-motivated but having not a parkrun for over a month I forced myself to just go do it. Again with the logic of running with some people and chatting away. It worked well I thought as keep it sensible pace wise, 26:04 was my time and for the first half I ran with one guy I know and told him to push on as felt I might be holding him but then one of girls from a running group I run with was just behind us so ran with her for the second half of run. Good start to the day. No warm up and no cool down, just the 5K.

Sunday 2nd October

Again over to Killarney on coaching duty to support our athletes on the day. Another 20 plus juvenile athletes running for the club again today and some brilliant racing with two teams prizes secured. Some of the scoring members on teams were running out of age so bodes well for them for the season ahead. I hung around to watch the masters race (the one I'd normally be running in) and great to see a large field again this year...the over 50 race looking extremely competitive. Our over 35 team placed 4th (beaten by them from KVAC I believe) and our o65s finished first in their race (we proudly can field an o65 team and even have an extra runner for backup).

I managed to catch the second half of United getting an awful hammering from city, pity after a decent start to the season but a reality check. I arranged to meet then to meet a running mate at 4pm for a run on the roads around Banna. I said to him I'd like to try a 10K if that suited him (5K out and back sort of thing), things were fine for the first 8K approx but even with the chat my foot was pretty sore for the last 2K. 10K in 57:15 @ 5:43min/km.

Weekly total: 23K

Year to date: 1585.20K

Week 14 thoughts, probably not as good a week as week 13 had been, should really have got out on the bike again to offset the lose of some of the runs I have missed. Will try better in the week ahead.

DM Training Week 15 (Hanson Beginner Make the start line)

Monday 3rd October

Finally caught up to date, got a call from the physio I wanted a second opinion from yesterday and got an appointment. After an assesment it's not fully clear what is going on, it's a mid foot injury for sure but based on what I can currently do and the nature of the pain and when it kicks it's unlikely to be a stress fracture (not 100% not one though). It is likely due to a combinaton of factors, the increase in mileage plus both the sessions and also the affect of the easier running on my form and simply overloaded part of my foot, very odd thing. Strength wise, my hips are pretty balanced but the thoughts are my calfs probably need work but it's too soon before the marathon to make a significant change there so for now I have to work on form (keeping upright), more pep in my step even if that means running the slower runs a bit faster. I also have two checks on the following day to see if I can run again or ease off....plus back on the bike again for some easy runs as needs be.

In regards the Dublin marathon, I am due to back to the physio on the week starting the 17th of Oct so will make a call then, realistically if I can't get back up to half marathon distance by then then I probably will have to can it unless willing to start the race and drop out if/when needs be, not really sure the point of doing that and have never dropped out of a race to date so not sure if I want to start that. In regards testing the foot the physio even suggested that looking at even a test at 16miles that week might be a realistic target before go/no go. I was delighted to get the appointment yesterday and looking back to when the injury occurred I was surprised that it was 5 weeks ago, I feel possibly I have left this one too late when I thought it would clear quicker. I am also aware that I have not been in very good form at late at all due to a number of stresses in life (two significant ones that I am aware of) so maybe it's not surprise how this has panned out. I have entered the ballot of London this year and part of me thinks I won't be able to do Dublin but the running gods will favour me and I'll come out in the ballot this time (think I've entered it 6/7 times) and if it works out that way or if I could make that choice I'd rather get right and do London. Dublin will be there next year again for me all being well.

Made a club run last night, 8K in 43min @ 5:22min/km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just catching up and sorry to hear about the foot. Is this your first time doing Hanson? Hopefully it resolves itself and fingers crossed you get a place in the London ballot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭marathon2022

All the best with the London ballot, and fingers crossed the injury subsides and you get back on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s hard going. I hope you get sorted. If you have access to a deep pool it might help to do some pool running? I knackered my calf 6 weeks before Dublin 2018 and was advised to do pool running. It’s painfully boring but somebody here gave me sessions to do in the water that helped pass the time. I’m sure they are in my log somewhere and I can root them out if needs be for you.

Second time using it AM, I got to the same point last year when training for the Manchester marathon (was due to take place in Oct) and had a shin issue. I mentioned that to the physio when I met him and described it and he said that did indeed sound like the start of a stress fracture.

Thank you kindly, the running gods will come through for me I hope!!

Thanks K, I think it's down to a combination of factors so something had to give and nothing finer than marathon training to find a weak spot. I am back running but it's the unknown now is the issue, maybe I take the chance and start it and see what happens. I suspect I'd get to half marathon before having to decide to can it but I know fitness wise I am nowhere near where I should be. There is a pool around 15-20mins drive from me so something I think I will definitely have to look at if/when I get something similar in future. I probably wasn't doing enough volume on the bike in the few weeks I was doing it to offset the loss of running.

DM Training Week 15 (Hanson Beginner Make the start line) continued

Tuesday 4th October & Wednesday 5th October

Off

Thursday 6th October

Can't recall the reason why I left getting out for a run so late in the day but it was pitch dark (and my bodylite was not charged having not used it since early this year) so first time onto the treadmill in ages, 5K in 28:20. Started off the first few K easy pace and just pushed it on every half a K or so finishing on 12kph for the last K and a half. Nice to move up through the gears, pretty much hate the treadmill though!

Friday 7th October

On a half day from work today as was heading over to London for the weekend in the afternoon. Finished work just after 12pm so out on the road then and did 11.5K in 61mins @ 5:18min/km. Nice to get this under the belt before heading off.

Saturday 8th October

Staying not too far from the Queensway tube stop on the Central Line so having a look at parkruns on that line I was pleased to see the name of Wormwood Scrubs was only a few stops over. Just a name that always caught the ear when I was young and the odd mention of the prison here and there. I got out there for around 8:15 and did my warm running a lap around the outside of the prison and a little bit on the footpaths in the area. I noted there was an athletics track in the area too so said I'd have a looksee and I got a few laps of the track there and met some very friendly people of Thames Valley Harriers AC. Got an invitation to join if I wished but I had to politely decline due to only being in the area for the day. The Linford Christie Outdoor Sports Centre is a fine facililty with a number of different sports covered by it. Had a funny moment where I was nearly locked into the club house there as I asked one person could I use the facilities and she said of course but she must have went out to the run cos her clubmate almost locked me in, anyways no harm done and very nice people. For the course itself, it was 2.5 laps all on grass and some slight trails, the tricky part seemed to be the surface of the ground in that there it was quite a cracked surface so a risk of ankle issues. The TVHAC lady I was talking to who was telling me about the course reckons it's down to two factors, global warming with the ground drying out and the HS2 tunneling going on underneath the park. Just meant plenty of caution enroute! In the end I did in 25:09 which felt a tough enough effort. After I went back to the track area to have a look at some of the club training that had kicked off for the day, 1K jog back to tube then and back to the hotel then. 9K for the morning.

Sunday 9th October

Out at 8am for this one as busy day ahead with going out to the Spurs stadium to see Packers against the Giants. Back to my oul stomping ground from earlier this block which was Hyde Park....what's this now the gates were closed and signs saying some footpaths closed and cycle lanes. I clearly missed a trick here as I booked my hotel to be in the vicinity and there was a race due to take place that morning that I had not known about, if I'd known I'd probably have tried signing up for it. I did see some people (walking or running on their own) in the park who were not taking part in the event so guessed I could try sneak in so I ran down near Kensington Palace and used the gate there, I must be a local now knowing my way around the side entrances. So once in the park I could run away without issues, even got right down to the starting area and looked like a massive event with many waves. Some sections of footpath were closed off with fencing but I could still run around most of it just fine. Small part of me thought about sneaking into the race for a bit (have never done) and I was going to be caught for time as was gonna be finished my run at 9:30 approx and this race was only starting at 9am. No matter I got my planned 10 miles / 16K done, felt the foot a small bit later on in the run and fitness wise finding the going a bit tough at the moment. 16K in 96mins @ 6min/km.

Afterwards it was meeting up with my mate and out to watch the game, not a great second half for the Packers at all so disappointed in that but I enjoyed the experience of the game. Spurs stadium is fantastic in fairness to them, I'd slag their football club off but as a United fan these days people in glasshouses etc etc.

Weekly total: 49.5K

Year to date: 1634.70K

Week 15 thoughts, step up in mileage which was nice. Running a marathon seems like a long way away though but will keep training for the moment and see where it gets me. Planning to try get a half marathon run in the week ahead, possibly midweek.

DM Training Week 16 (Hanson Beginner Make the start line)

Monday 10th October

8K easy in 45:26min @ 5:41min/km, out and back run after getting home from London. A bit later getting out at 6:30pm but got the run done in the last bit of brightness. Have charged up my bodylite soon as figure going to be using it very soon!

Tuesday 11th October

Off

Wednesday 12th October

7K in 38:43min @ 5:31min/km, have this classed as an easy run but everything is a but samey on the pace front at the moment but it's what working best for me. Got this one in at lunchtime as had a few hours coaching to do in the evening.

Thursday 13th October

Here I slotted in my planned half marathon run for the week, wasn't going to be able to fit it in at the weekend as was attending a day 2 Level 2 Coaching course in Athlone on Saturday and Sunday so at best it was going to be some shorter runs at the weekend. Decided to drive over to Causeway and use the 4.4K approx loop there for my laps. My plan was do it in short laps with this as meant if I had an issue with my foot I could call it and not be anymore than 10-15mins from the car...also it's a good psychological tester and here was where I did a lot of my training for the Donadea 50K 2018. Being able to leave water at my car and another pair of runners (just in case what I had on caused me any issues) was handy. Having not be doing anything particularly long recently I also wanted practice using the gels I have for the first time this year I think (have some Maurten 100s I bought just before getting injured), unusual texture but all good with them. I started off wearing my Nike Tempo Next% (which was always planned to be my runners for marathon day) but after the first lap I had to take them off...I worn them at parkrun a few weeks back and were okay but a definite no this time as just felt I didn't have the support I need in the shoe at the moment and everything was simply not right escpecially if I hit any sort of uneven surface, just not stable enough. The other shoes I had in the car were a well worn (400K) Saucony Triumph's that I used back in Dingle and on plenty of runs this year. Putting them on they instantly were better/more comfortable for the subsequent laps, things were going okay for the first 3 laps (around 13K) approx but I stopped after the 4th lap (16.5K approx) and just did some ankle circles for a minute and than helped ease out the bit of discomfort I was feeling. I debated for a minute would I do another lap and figured if I have thoughts about running on marathon day I might as well give it a go. It had got pretty dark at that stage but got around fine for the 5th lap leaving me with 22.2K for the evening in 2:05:11 @ 5:38min/km (the elapsed time on the run was 2:11:57). Not sure if I can or should aim get a longer run in before race day, I am tempted to do the same again a week later using the new Greenway between Tralee and Fenit...out and back it's a half marathon with a nice surface. I figure the training effect from the long runs at this stage is too late for fitness really for the race but I get confidence from them for an attempt at the full. End of the day I figure if I want to try this I am probably fine for at least half of the race so maybe that's okay.

Friday 14th October

Off

Saturday 15th October

Early start on the road at 5:30 to pick up my clubmate as we heading to Athlone for the first of 3 weekends over the coming months. We're both doing the AAI Level 2 coaching course for Throws. First half of the day was a Sports Psychology lecture for all attending the Level 2 (People are doing one of Throws, Sprints/Hurdles, Endurance, Jumps), this lecture was very enjoyable and informative and many aspects of it stuck with me. The 4 C's of Concentration, Confidence, Commitment, Control formed a large part of the topic. That and the feedback from the other coaches in the room was very informative and all seemed to have enjoyed it. Due to sickness the throws instructor wasn't able to attend for the first day so we could slot in with another group for the afternoon so I went with Endurance (planning to do that module next year) so it was good to cover the topic for a few hours. Attending the module was Dubgal72 of these parts, the mentor for the DCM Novices 2015 group I was part of it and it lovely to catch up for a few minutes with her. Finishing up for the day around 5:30 everyone was going their separate way for the evening. In my case I was staying out in Shannonbridge (about 30K away), due a lack of accomodation/price of what was available in Athlone but a very nice little village it is. Checked into my b&b around 6:30 and then drove back the few K into the village to use a 3K loop I had seen on the map (Strava heat map very handy if you are travelling to find out where people run in different areas) so this loop went in the environs of the old power station there back to the village and out in the countryside again, I did this loop once each way. On the second loop the rain came in pretty spectacularly so I got a right soaking for the test of the run. At the end of the second loop I ran up through the village for an out and back, taking in a bit of harbour area alongside the Shannon then over the bridge to run about a K in Roscommon. I love the novelty of running in multiple counties in the same run....don't know why but just makes me smile. Back to the car then for around 8pm, changed and off for dinner in a local pub there. A fine evening. 10K rainy in 57:57min @ 5:48min/km.

Sunday 16th October

Back for more of the Level 2 course, this time the throws instructor was in so we spent the day on shotput. The theory of both glide and rotation technique for the first 3/4 of the day and then around 90mins of practical work in the indoor track after that. Studying the breakdown of the different techniques with the coach was brilliant and felt I got a lot out of it. As well as coaching the event better I am sure I'll be able to improve my own throws from it. Also today got to talk with more coaches from other clubs and that's one of the great things with these courses if you get to meet people from all over the country...and once you've met them once you'll no doubt meet them time and time again at meets in the future and have discussions on issues/challenges you have.

Home from Athlone around 7:30pm, nice the nicest 3 hour drive and heavy wind and rain in some sports. Figured it would be nice to go over the 50K for the week so got a 6K easy run in between the showers for the most part. 6K in 34:37min @ 5:45min/km.

Weekly total: 53.2K

Year to date: 1687.90K

Week 16 thoughts, holding steady. Things with my foot are slightly better if anything and confidence gained from the half marathon. Definitely happier in the Triumph's over the Tempo Next% so great to know that now at the moment. Will see can I get a physio apt in this week so it's not just myself making call on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Good to see things appearing to move in the right direction. Hopefully that continues and you make the start line.

• Advertisement

DM Training Week 17 (Hanson Beginner Make the start line)

Monday 17th October

8K in 48:46 @ 6:05min/km, met up with my club to go from a run on the newly opened section of the greenway in Tralee. I have ran other sections a good bit but the final part only opened last weekend. Hung back on the pace at the start so meant I was on my own for the most part of this run but that's okay. Little but surreal running on the greenway when darkness came in and you just encounter random people every so often. Surface wise, it's lovely and a few little pulls on it too which is good. Expect we'll be on the route a good bit over the winter.

Tuesday 18th October

Off

Wednesday 19th October

7K in 40min @ 5:43min/km, with coaching and work to do in evening time I slotted this one in at lunch.

Thursday 20th October

So to try repeat or increase on last weeks 22K run as probably a final test before DM day using a local 4.4K loop. My foot felt very good today, best it's felt in ages. I have 3 ways of checking it, one being something I came up with myself and the other two perscribed tests from my phyios. First test (my own test) are ankle circles/rotations where you draw a circle with your foot....yesterday I had full rotation with no discomfort or impingment. The other ways (physio prescribed) is a single leg lift, where I go from a seated position to standing with driving all my weight just through the one foot...yesterday is the first day I could recall since getting the injury I could do this without any pain or weakness. The final test is a heel raise on each foot, could feel a small bit on the left side but given how good the other tests felt I was good to go. Started off around 5:15/5:20pm this time using my Saucony Triumph's from the off...running the same loop as last week but in reverse. First two laps went well so that was almost 9K in the bag and tested a gel enroute again as would plan to take one every 5miles on race day, all good. On the third lap I could start to feel things a little bit but not enough to feel like stopping. Onto the 4th lap it had started to get a bit dark so popped on my high viz reflector (I was running in a high viz t-shirt) and bodylite. Same experience as the previous week when dealing with any sort of uneven ground, I'm not comfortable at all. I get to a point with this where I am dreading putting my left foot down, I don't get discomfort from the planting of the foot but as you go through the full cycle (when the other foot comes off the ground) it just doesn't feel right or comfortable. About 2K into the fourth lap I stopped for a minute to walk before getting running again to finish out the lap, during that walk I had a quick moment of clarity saying this is just silly and not sure what I am trying to prove here. I've ran 6 marathons in my life to date and 1 50K (still my club's record holder over the distance with the 4:33:58, only record I have in my life) so I know I can do the distance but it's just not going to be there for me this year. I think I could get to halfway in the race in some decent shape/time but given my longest run in this block has been 24K I just think it would be folly to try do a full marathon when I know my foot is not right and certainly the fitness is not there. Part of me is just thinking just suck it up and do it, have lash the Ibuprofen into the system on the day (I encountered people in lift who take them like gels) but I won't do that due to risks involved with such things. End of the day I just don't see the point of an attempt at it when I am worried I will potentially do myself some permanent damage. I'm delighted to have been about to get back up to running 5 days a week and the 22K long run last week but I am only just managing things, I am not improving and if anything my fitness has gone backwards in the last 6/7 weeks rather than improving since Dingle. So when I got into the car last night I just decided put it on my Strava last night that I was out of the race, got some lovely messages on that (from folks from here) and one two private messages on Whatsapp. Disappointed of course but I can't turn off the nagging internal voice that tells me I shouldn't be doing it so have to listen to it. As we have a hotel booked we might go up on the day anyways to support people running as despite having run the Dublin marathon 5 times, I've never actually watched it in person.

For the record last night's run was 4x laps/18K in 1:44:13 @ 5:48min/km

That ends this marathon block, 652K over the 17 weeks. Have messaged my physio this morning as I want to arrange an appointment and hopefully get a MRI done to find out what is really going on. I don't want to set a target for another race yet, despite the training since early in the summer I feel I have a lot of work to get back to race speed at any distance. If all was well possibly the 5K in Newmarket in mid Dec would be a nice one to aim at and going back to shorter distances might suit for a period of time. Best of luck to everyone who will line up on Dublin marathon day, remember to celebrate crossing the start line (and of course the finish line) and always remember what you did to get there and you only get what you give.

Post edited by diego_b on

I’m so disappointed for you but you are definitely doing the right thing. I hope you figure out what the problem is soon so you can properly get on the road to recovery then. I’ve never watched Dublin marathon either. I’d actually love to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Really sorry to read this but you are doing whats right for you, it really isn't worth the risk of any kind of permanent injury. I hope you get to the bottom of your problem & come back even stronger 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sorry to hear that it's worked out like this. You've been very methodical and rational in your approach. No doubt it's very frustrating and disappointing especially with the work you've put in to date. The upside is that you're now free to get this injury diagnosed fully and get it rehabbed. The Newmarket 5k would be a great race to aim for and quite a fast one afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear this D but it definitely sounds like the right decision so take some comfort from that. Get it sorted out and he really race(s) will always be there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Likewise sorry to hear this D, here's hoping you can get sorted and back on the road faster and fitter in no time. Might see you in McGrattans so if you're supporting?

5 weeks have passed since my last update so better catchup...bit of ramble but here goes.

The marathon came and went, I did go up and collect my number the day before the race and met a good few clubmates at the expo. I had of course packed all my running gear as if I was going to run the marathon (gels and everything), just in case of an emergency marathon attempt I guess. I did have many thoughts about giving it a go on that Saturday evening but couldn't shake the thoughts of how stupid it would be given I was having to plan where I would drop out. I had done a parkrun the day before and could really feel my foot after it so not a hope could I have done it but still had to work through the thoughts and a plan in my head. I did think about doing something like destroying the chip of my number and maybe joining in the race at half way to run to the finish (guess I could have taken the Luas as some in law enforcement appear to be want to be do when not in the nick for the full distance) but in the end I stuck with guns and went supporting on the morning of the race instead of running.

On race day myself and my wife got around to three spots, for the start of the race we were at the corner of Kevin St and bottom of the hill near St Patrick's. Spotted a few clubmates here in each wave and gave them a cheer. Next we headed over to bridge over the canal just before halfway on the stretch out to Crumlin. This was a great spot and we were here for some of the elites passing through right up to some of the 4hr 30s pace going through. Completely fanboyed David Gillick here but shouting support at him using his fullname, he gave me a thumbsup...as I joked elsewhere we're besties now. I also spotted Kellygirl here and gave her a shout by name (have yet to meet her in person but recognized her from her Strava profile pic), given her target for the day was very similar to what I had targeted when starting my training I was hoping it would she would have a good day (no spoilers here but she did). One of my clubmates passed here around the 4hr 20min - 4hr 30min group of runners. He had his head down a bit for some reason and seemed to be struggled so we gave him a good cheer by his full name and his reaction was amazing, it was like a switch went off for him, big smile and picked it up. He also ended up having a great race, debuting at the marathon in the o65 age group and running a superbly consistent race to fine in the 4hr 20s. I later heard from him and his wife that it was a massive help to him as he was struggling and it cheered him right up. I met him at parkrun a week later and he was thanking us, I told him that I don't know what it is but in my own experience of doing marathons simple things like people cheering you by name helps a lot so was nice for us to be able to help him out. Following that then we headed to Mount St bridge to watch the end of the race, we stayed there for around an hour as well seeing the finishers coming in, got a sight of a good few more clubmates here, also Kellygirl who was finishing strong. Got to chat with some friends after they finished their race and walked down towards Grafton St with my missus for a bit. On the way back towards Merrion Sq area we stuck the head in O'Donoghue's for a minute as that's where some clubmates were planning to go but spotted no one. I did think about heading to McGrattan's but I was feeling a bit down about not having been able to run on the day and didn't really feel like talking much about it to be honest so we decided to hit the road for home. I do regret this as it's nice to meet up with the different boardsies you meet him but hopefully next time. All in all we enjoyed the day, have of course signed up again for next year where hopefully will make the start line then.

On the running from I have been running 3/4 times most weeks since, distance wise I had a few 10Ks in there earlier in November. Since the middle of this month I have had a small bit of back issue so that's hampered things somewhat. It is improving but 5Ks every second day is about the amount of running I am doing for the moment. Been very strange the last few months that I feel a bit of crock and not really sure why. I did have a healthcheck (bloods etc) through work back in late Oct and all is good on that side thankfully. MRI results on my foot came back pretty clear also (not really surprised on that) but a few queries to look at there, one relating to Achilles/calf which would by my normal Achilles heel so something to work on. Will need some foot and ankle strengthening that my physio wants to book me if for in the new year.

On the positive side of things we finally closed on selling our Kildare apartment that we bought back in 2007 and lived in for 7 years. The sale process started earlier this year, went sale agreed in June but took about 5 months to close. It's not been our home for 8 years now since we moved to Kerry and could not wait to sell it. A definition case of accidental landlords which I hated being so has always been a stress, found it hard to believe we could ever get rid of it but thankfully it's gone now.

Running highlights in the last 5 weeks included a few parkruns, I did Newcastle West on the 29th of Oct and a lovely course. Very impressed with the park so would like to do that one again, it was horribly wet conditions on the day so didn't hang around but would like to return for a better look at it. I did my home parkrun in Tralee a few weeks back (before the back issues) and got a 23:34 without over doing it so was happy with that time and had thoughts about trying a plan to get down into the 22s again but not likely to happen this side of the new year now. No targets or races at the moment so will just continue on getting out regularly through the week and hopefully the few niggles clear up and can plan for the year ahead.

Year to date: 1812K

Good to hear you are getting out for the 5kms. I hope you can get your back sorted. Do you know what the problem is? Hope the strength work helps the achilles too. My coach is organising the Tralee 10 mile on the 11th February. Maybe by January you might be able to think about it?

Thanks for the mentions and the support in Dublin. It really is much appreciated. Some day I’d love to support Dublin myself! It must be hard though if you were supposed to be running it.

• Advertisement

With the back I woke up a bit funny a Wed morning a few weeks back, what I would compare with like a crick in the neck only it was in my lower back. It cleared up pretty well after a few days but I had some painting to do over the course of a few days after that and it was aggravated by that. When talking to the physio on the phone earlier this week I mentioned it but that it is clearing...I suspect in another week it will be gone. Some basic yoga moves like child's pose, cat-cow pose and some work around hip and lower back mobility seem to be doing the job.

I did indeed see that race that M is doing there, I did her race back in February earlier this year but it's clashing with the Munster master's indoor championships on in Nenagh next year so will miss the race unfortunately. I had looked at the Adare 10K again for this year but it's also clashing with Munster juvenile indoor championships. I'm the head coach for the juvenile's in my club this year so will have many weekends on the road to different events over the first half of the year at least. Will fit a few races in there somewhere.

No probs at all, indeed it's something nice to do sometime but it's better to run it for sure!!

Just after I post this I get a mail about the Munster masters indoors is due to take place on Sun 12th instead so I might make the 10 miler all the same the day before.

Advertisement