Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XBox Series X as DVD player

• 23-10-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have an XBox Series X, connected directly to my 4K TV (Samsung Q95T), and I'm wondering if I've missed a setting or something - or maybe my expectations need to be reigned in - but the picture is definitely not as sharp as I would expect. I'd go as far as to say that the picture when streaming from Netflix, Prime etc, is sharper. No issues whatsoever with gaming, just playing DVDs; it's definitely not "bad" per se, but also definitely not as sharp, with multiple discs, as I would have expected. I've no Blu-rays, so am strictly referring to DVDs here.

How are people finding the Series X as a DVD player? Have any of you done a side by side with the Series X and a DVD player? I would compare myself, but don't have a standalone DVD player....

I'd be interested to hear of people's experiences here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Dvd is limited to 720p

You'd need blueray to match HD streams or 4k from the streaming services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭djan

What you're describing is just the huge difference in quality of DVDs versus the streamed content which is usually in a much higher resolution with newer stuff predominantly 4k.

The xbox will upscale the DVD footage so it will look better than from an old school one but still there's only so much you can do with a 480/720p source.

Regardless, a blu-ray will be even sharper than a 4k stream as its not compressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Jesus, I remember when DVD was cutting edge! Ok, thanks guys - looks like I just need to readjust my expectations, rather then there being anything wrong with what I'm seeing onscreen.

Thanks both 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

DVD 720×576

Bluray 1920×1080

Bluray 4K/UHD 3840×2160

As far as I know the XBox X can play all of them.

Does it have any kind of upscaling trickery? I have to say I haven't put a dvd or bluray near mine 😅

• Advertisement

Time for DVDs is long gone.

Unless you can't get the movie etc any other way. Some stuff never got released on anything better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Strangely enough, they still outsell blu ray and uhd blu ray by a decent enough margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I found watching dvds was like going from dvd to VHS, quality is a massive drop from Blu-ray, couple that with a massive TV and it will look even worse.

And yet dvds still outsell bluerays I believe.

Cheap that's why.

A lot of people don't care what stuff looks or sounds like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's funny actually, I recently got the bug for physical media again after a long hiatus (used to collect cds and dvds religiously back in the day). I was using the xbox series x for playing 4k blu ray but I got annoyed at not being able to use Dolby Vision on some discs, and it's a bit noisy when playing discs too. So I ended up shelling out for a dedicated player. I feel like the discs look better on the dedicated player compared to the series X, or at least that's what I tell myself to justify the impulse buy 😂

Bit long winded but they get there in the end.

What player did you get.

I like getting my favorite movies in the best quality. Often they are poor quality on my subscribed services. or simply not available, or not available when I want to watch them. Ripping my own for my own library takes forever and isn't always perfect with sound/subtitles. So I was picking a few up on blu-ray, and even a few on 4k. Then I realised my bluray isn't 4k and won't play even some newer normal blu-rays. Just oo old. So I was thinking of getting a 4k player.

I actually got the one in that video 😂, the panasonic DP-UB820, I ordered from currys.ie as there didn't seem to be stock anywhere else (would have used richer sounds but for that): Buy PANASONIC DP-UB820EBK Smart 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & DVD Player | Currys

Looking at that link the price has gone up by 60 euro from when I got mine (that was only a month ago!!!), presumably they have increased the price so they can discount it back to its normal price on black friday!?! Absolute gougers.

I had considered the sony x700 as a more budget option, but the irrational side of my brain won the argument. The sony x800m looks a better deal now compared to the panasonic, it was only 30 euro cheaper when I bought but you have to manually turn on dolby vision every time you want to use it so I opted for the convenience of the panasonic (and it seems to be the slightly better player going by reviews).

Advertisement