Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iot General Chat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Are there any particular sites that people buy from? Looking to pick up some switches and motion detectors. Not looked around yet, thought I would seek any recommendations. Think I will go battery for both items as wiring is old style in the house with no ground, and it will allow me to play around with locations etc without difficulty.

Edit: in case it matters, looking for ZigBee compatible, I'm currently using lidl gateway with some bulbs and sockets

Post edited by lostboy75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jimdavey

sounds like a completely new language here, iwill stay with my wind upradio for now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looking for tips or advice on a slightly IoT related topic.... Internet/Networking..

We are buying a holiday home, in Lithuania, and I've already a fair amount of Hue lights/bulbs for the house (like here, the whole house will be Hue'd up)

In the new house, we are probably only going to have a local mobile internet dongle that connects to local 3/4/5G network. We were over there during the summer and used her mothers one which seemed fine, and should suffice for our needs....

The issue is these dongles don't have any LAN ports on them, and only have a micro USB plug to power/charge them..... and with the Philips Hue Bridge, Obviously I need a LAN port to plug the bridge into..

Question is could I buy a simple plug in Wifi extender that comes with a built in LAN port, to connect wirelessly to the WiFi network my dongle will broadcast, and then use the LAN port to plug in the Hue Bridge? (And as a bonus I probably get to put out a stronger WiFi signal than the dongle would otherwise broadcast on it's own).

As a side note, will also have a WiFi controlled AC/heating system, as well as a RoboVac, but they should both just connect via WiFi so shouldn't be a concern. I'd maybe add a few IP cameras down the line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

You can buy a 4G/5G router, just like a normal landline router but using 4G/5G. Example TP-link TL-MR6400 or ZTE MC801

I`ve used a vodafone one before and was ok, but i don`t have a strong 4G signal in the house, if i did i`m sure it would be very stable, you may even be able to get better aerials.

What you would need to do is get one that is compatible for Lithuania i guess, (like buying a phone from china you have to check if the phone is compatible, i`m only guessing here, you would need to look that up)

The router would have wifi and a number of lan ports.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Would love some recs for non hub lights that work with HomeKit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Seeing innr gu10 half the price of Hue gu10. Are they as bullet proof as Hue? As in, no issues with connecting & controlling via Hue switch, App, Google home etc.

Advertisement