Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

As far as I can see, your picture is the car catalog, It gives information about the car its year, and price (Recommend retail).

Yen in thousands, so its 4.5 million or so, the thing I noticed is that 5-year-old cars are nearly the same price at auction, supply and demand, it might be better to spend a million or more and go up a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Oh I see, so that's the original retail price, 4.5 million yen, €30,600.

That makes sense.

I've sent an email to the company, they're based in Mullingar. Asked them for a bit of info. Without any real info on prices it's hard to know where to start.

Thanks 👍

Found this website, gives average prices so a bit more helpful.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj_neo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

JDM auction watch are good. You tell them the max you want to spend and after that, all you pay is the VRT, they arrange everything else. The aul fella bought a 1303s Bettle through them the other year. No hassle.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jdl108

Does anyone know if VAT has to be paid from importing a car from Japan to Ireland, on top of VRT? Is customs duty a separate thing also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The first post is from 10 years ago, is this still exactly the situation?

I'd imagine so as the only difference when buying things now is from the UK nothing changed ordering from Japan.

The idea of importing a used car from Japan looks increasingly less appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tugii20

I am also looking into this model, in Ireland 2011 version costs 12000upwards depends, how about in Japan? will I save lot or not much>

• Advertisement

Toyota Prius 2015 plus costs 16000euro in Ireland.

How about in Japan ? same year plus shipping + insurance + auction fee, shipping fee, duty fee, VAT fee, port handling fee,VRT,?

anyone had Imported Toyota Prius year 2009 to 2016 in the past? will battery be okay during export? do I have to change tyre when it arrive in Ireland?

I guess it is cheaper in Japan that's why many dealers are selling it in Ireland (Japanese imported cars)

how much would you save if you buy from Japan auction house?

Any Japan auction house you would recommend and shipping company?

if I have friend in Japan then can person bid on auction behalf of me?

Does bidding have to be made from inside auction house computer or I can bid anywhere around world?

Is there any company who looks after everything like bidding and shipping behalf of me? Name the cheapest company?

I do not really understand roll on roll off ferry thing? how does it work? Do I drive my car into ferry and park it there?is that roll on roll off thingy?

AUCNET Auctions

USS Auction

TAA Auction

ARAI Auction House

JAA Auction House

BAYAUC Auction House

CAA Auction House

ASNET Auction House

Honda Auto Auction House

which one will you recommend or used before?

That's a hell of a lot of questions, most of which have already been answered if you read through the thread.

I know it is a lot question, rather than asking one single questions, it is 13 page already but I am looking answers more recently like after covid purchase from Japan to Ireland year 2020 onwards,

things are changed a lot comparing to year 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭User1998

Nothing has changed since then. Read the first post, that explains everything

anyone imported second hand car from Japan recently then please share it

like what auction house used and how much was 20ton container ,,,,,, so on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The only thing that has changed from the first post is that you need to add a zero to end of the prices he quotes!

Cui bono?

You do not use a container. They RORO, in other words they drive on to ship like you do going to England or France and then drive off at the destination. I could be wrong but I think they change ship once it leaves Japan and gets to a main European dock and onto another ship on the way to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Great info thanks.

Toying with the idea of importing a mini truck. Diahatsu Hijet or similar.

Read somewhere that there would be no vat and vrt only 200. I'm assuming that would only be for a vintage pre '93?

Also what would be the deal on Nox?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

And the 23% vat is on total including shipping?

Is the low vrt, no customs or nox charge because its pre 93?

What charges would apply to say a 2003?

• Advertisement

Yes and yes

For normal cars its 10% customs, 23% VAT, VRT and Nox depends on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Customs and nox depends on the car, 10% for anything not made in japan and over 3 years since it was imported into japan from the EU, for cars made in japan customs duty is around 4% dropping 1,2% a year, so in 3 years time no customs for Japanese made cars.

EU cars for cheese deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I am interested in getting a 2007/2008 Honda Civic Type R FD2. If I saw one I liked in the UK, how does the VRT work? It would still be charged as if it was coming from the Japan (as that's where it was first registered), is that correct? I had a quick look at the VRT calculator and for a 2007 FD2 with 120,000km, the price is going back at just under €1850

Post edited by DelBoy Trotter on

No if it's on English plates then it is done importing from UK which costs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Sorry if this offends anyone but I don’t find the first post of this thread really useful at all - not anymore anyway. It gives little to zero insight about how and where to look, and what to expect really in 2023. I see others have been shot down requesting such information but it’s desperately in need of an update, in my opinion. Some of the things gone into detail over aren’t even relevant to the vast majority of buyers.

Thanks to the recent posters (<12 months) who have given info on their own experience. That’s been more helpful than anything previous.

If I manage to do it I’ll happily provide an up to date log of everything I encounter, best sites, service, timelines, costs etc. I’m finding the Irish market exceptionally poor value for money/quality at the moment.

I'm in the early stages of importing a car. I'm using https://www.jdmauctionwatch.com/

They will import the car for you, with all paperwork, shipping, customs and VAT.

You register on the site to be able to view the cars coming up for auction. To place a bid you pay a €500 deposit. I won a car at auction last Friday, so I now have to pay 75% of total cost (which I have done). When the vehicle is 2 weeks from arrival I have to pay the remainder.

When the car lands I just have to collect it and bring it for VRT and NCT.

A lot of the info in the thread is still relevant, although some of the costs have gone up. Shipping especially. I'm importing a 5 series BMW, shipping for that is around €1800

Another site I found helpful was https://auc.japancardirect.com/st?classic

although they don't do the full service that JDM Auction Watch do, if you register you can view the prices of cars which you can't on JDM. Just remember, the prices you see on there are just for the car. They don't include any of the fees etc.

For example, a 2012 BMW 5 series hybrid for 749,000 JPY = €5229

After all fees, shipping, VAT and customs, total would be around €12,500 landed in Ireland.

The standard of the used cars there is very good though. The example I've used above has only 35,000kms on it from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Thanks a million for that. I will check all that out this evening. Similar car, similar or slightly less of a budget, so should find it useful.

And yes possibly a little unfair criticism on the usefulness on the thread - I think it’s spilling over from the frustration of looking at several Irish cars over the last few weeks and being very disappointed. Bang for buck is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just bought an Ignis hybrid

Top spec in co Dublin

Would loved to have gone down the import route,

but between lack of information and I'd a car to trade aswell I chose to buy.

Tried local ( cork ) to get a decent deal for near 2 months,no joy.

This is my 4 th Jap import and would seriously recommend them.

I was able to check my cars rating etc, got a decent trade on my 2012 Honda insight es.

6 months warranty and got a head unit installed and cars fully valeted and really like new.

Saved near e750 by going to Dublin.

Maybe if I'd enough cash to buy direct in Japan I'd do it,but I'm a worrier and the car u buy in Japan may not live up to your expectations when it rolls off the ferry.

I wish whoever buys direct the v best.

Few things to consider.

Make sure car comes with 2 keys,

Some don't.

Remember you'll have to get a head unit installed,and or language changed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just bought an Ignis hybrid

Top spec in co Dublin

Would loved to have gone down the import route,

but between lack of information and I'd a car to trade aswell I chose to buy.

Tried local ( cork ) to get a decent deal for near 2 months,no joy.

This is my 4 th Jap import and would seriously recommend them.

I was able to check my cars rating etc, got a decent trade on my 2012 Honda insight es.

6 months warranty and got a head unit installed and cars fully valeted and really like new.

Saved near e750 by going to Dublin.

Maybe if I'd enough cash to buy direct in Japan I'd do it,but I'm a worrier and the car u buy in Japan may not live up to your expectations when it rolls off the ferry.

I wish whoever buys direct the v best.

Few things to consider.

Make sure car comes with 2 keys,

Some don't.

Remember you'll have to get a head unit installed,and or language changed etc.

Advertisement