Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Root Canal Success Rate

• 11-10-2022 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

So in the last couple of weeks I developed an abscess over a rear tooth (maybe pre-molar?). Dentist told me that root canal treatment is needed. I really really don’t want an extraction and am happy to go ahead with it. Question is the success rate seems to vary hugely. I’ve seen figures of 50%/60% quoted elsewhere which seems really low and now I’m panicking a bit about doing anything with it all! For what it’s worth, I’m seeing a very experienced (and expensive) endondist privately. She said it could be tricky due to one of the roots being somewhat bent. Also mentioned something my immune system needing to be “strong” to ensure success. As I said, don’t want an extraction, really trying to avoid it and hoping to hear some positive stories from people who have had it done before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your choices seem clear, either have the tooth extracted or accept there is a risk of failure with the root canal. One means the tooth is lost, the other gives good chance of it being there in the long term. The important consideration is not what the success rate with others is, it’s whether yours is likely to succeed. Talk to the Endodontist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭phormium

It's very individual I would imagine, I know people where it has failed very quickly after being done and yet I had one done nearly 40yrs ago with no problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

If you can afford it I recommend an implant, had a front one, complete success.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

An implant is the best way of replacing a missing tooth, not the best reason for removing it. A tooth is better than an implant, if it can be retained long term. Besides, implants do not offer a 100% success rate either, and the success of your implant has no baring on the op’s condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Okay so little comfort there. I definitely do not want an extraction or an implant, don’t like the idea of that at all. I guess I was hoping for some success stories, there seems to be hugely differing statistics as to the success rate which I thought was odd. I did talk to the endodentist but not much help I’m afraid, just told me about options, i.e rct or extraction.

• Advertisement

Statistics depend on the data set, so statistics for an Endodontist will differ to those of a Dentist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've had 2 RC's done by an endo, one maybe 15 years ago, the other may be 10 years ago.

Both are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It never occurred to me to check success rate. I got one done about 10 years ago in your "bog standard" NHS dentist (i.e. same lady who did my regular scale and polish) in the first year or two of moving over here. It was done in 3-4 stages over a couple of weeks iirc. Not a moments trouble with it since, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There are so many variables its impossible to say. It depends on who does it, how difficult it is and the ammount of real tooth that remains along with the condition of your other teeth. No dental work will last forever, so you make a choice and take your chances. Personally I do not favour skipping the root canal and going straight to an implant if the tooth can be salgaved, implant have a failure rate over time also and once the tooth is gone its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

My sister has done 5 or 6 root canals in the last 20 years no problems with the treatments at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement