Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Randy moss was good and dipped in Oatland. But was still seen as elite. Baker Mayfield is crap full stop. What does Baker bring that Mac Jones doesn't. Jones is in his second year. Does some good things. Does.some bad things but is still learning. May not have the skillset of an elite QB and lacks consistency but its still early days. Very little football played to be tossed on the thrash heap yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Coreyhotline

Definitely think CMcC would be an unnecessary luxury, and would be worried about his injury history and workload. Seems like everybody thinks Carolina is going to engage in a fire sale now. To that end, name I've seen mentioned that would fill a need (but isn't splashy) would be Derrick Brown, who has the size to play as a two gapping nose tackle, this would then allow Godchaux and Guy to play the outside in a 3-4 base, and could definitely improve run defence. My only concern there would be whether we have the right OLBs to set the edge in a 3-4. I'm assuming Judon will be OK, just don't know if Uche can set the edge on the other side although reports from training camp were good (don't think Collins would, knock on him is that he's always played with a bit of indiscipline).

Not sure there's any other area I'd look at. Really, we go how Mac goes. If his play is good, we've enough around him to get the playoffs, and maybe even win one. If he's poor, then we're screwed. Somebody asked earlier if Jackson became available would we take him. It really depends on how Mac goes, if he shows a progression later in the season from last year, I'm happy enough to stick with him. However, if he's flat or moves back from last year, then I'd think about it. Either way, I just can't see Bill tying up the amount of money in one player that Lamar would want, so I think it's a moot point. I think Bill will always value building the middle class of his roster instead of paying one/several players top of their position prices, and to be fair I think that approach has proven to be the correct one for sustained success.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The other thing is that as a rookie under Josh McDaniels Mac did a good job as a game manager. That's how Brady started out for his first couple of years.

Do we blame Mac if things don't go well or do we look at Judge and Patricia?

Like there's not much serious offensive experience there. Judge has never been a QB coach before. Patricia did a little bit with the offensive line before switching to defense.

Zappe doing a nice job, 209 yards and a td early in the third. Seven different receivers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Good to see Thornton get off the mark. Maybe finally we've drafted a decent receiver

• Advertisement

I'm confident we did. He was impressive in college. COVID prevented him from doing what he did last year for two seasons. He'd have been a first round pick if he had done it for two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Early days but this year's draft class is looking promising. Last year's seems above average too (will ultimately be judged on how Mac ends up). But it's hopefully a sign we've improved our drafting - it really was sub-standard there for a while.

Zappe now has 315 yards and 2 TDs. Thornton four receptions for 37 yards and a td.

It'll be hard to hand the keys back to Mac after this performance.

Thornton had a 19 yard rushing td before the end of the game.

Post edited by eagle eye on

23 wins for Bill to tie Shula for most head coach wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

Given he had the best year of any of the rookie 1st rounders it would be mad if he was the first one to start on the bench while healthy. However he hasn't played well this year and Zappe had the same OC situation. I still expect Mac to start again but it does highlight it isn't the scheme given his doppleganger looked good with the same team.

• Advertisement

Yeah but we know Bill from years ago when he dropped the franchise QB, Drew Bledsoe, favouring the sixth round pick.

I think he'll want to see more of Bailey and Mac will be told they are keeping him out until he is fully healthy so that's another two to three weeks before they have to make a decision.

Right now Bailey had the highest QB rating of any starting QB in the league.

I think we have to see more of him and I expect that's going to happen.

He's shown a lot of intelligence and vision to this point like staring down the safety to stop him making his move, like pulling out of what looked like an easy throw to Meyers and moving to the other side of the field to get Thornton in the back of the end zone. I watched that play a couple of times because I noticed in a replay from a side angle that the corner came out of nowhere to get in front of Meyers and that would have likely been a pick but he seen it. I was shouting at the TV for him to throw it to Meyers who looked wide open to me. He seen what could happen and made the smart decision to go to his second or third check down.

I have my no.10 jersey and I love Mac and it'll suck to have to go out and buy a no.4 but it's in the hands of the GOAT coach and I'll be happy no matter which way it goes.

I have to admit that I'm not far off believing that Bailey is the real deal.

You do know he broke the record for yardage and td passes last year in college? The td record was set by Joe Burrow and people said it would never be broken but Bailey threw for 5967 yards and 62 touchdowns breaking both records.

Bailey has a great story spending two years at Houston Baptist in the FCS and then transfering with his OC to Western Kentucky last year and breaking records.

He was a complete nobody until he broke those records last year. He reminds me a lot of the GOAT because he doesn't yet have the arm strength for accurate, deep throws but he certainly is a very smart football player. I can guarantee we'll be offered at least second round picks for him at the end of the season if he's back on the bench for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

Bailey has just been asked to run as a game manager behind a strong defense. There is no need for him to push for points. That is exactly what you want for a back up and will need to show more to be a starter and there is no need to rush Mac back. Essentially I need to see more of him. Like Cooper Rush I want to see him when he doesn't feel like their defense will dominate a game.

Obviously Bill has made this decision before but it will be harder to go back to Mac if he is benched for any period of time. Plus the interesting wrinkle that I believe Zappe should have the incompetent Bears while Mac will be back in time to face a dominant Jets defense so the calls for Zappe could get loud if the Pats don't entirely shut down the Jets offense (though they should be able to do that).

I think if you put Mac back in he stays in unless he makes a mess of things.

I think you keep him out based on his injury for another two or three weeks, we have a bye after three games.

The Bears and the Colts are pretty vicious defenses and both better than the Jets. If Bailey gets through the first two with good play and wins I don't think you can take him out.

I think Mac sits for another week or two to be 100%. If we bring Mac back too early and he sucks, then I think that would do enormous damage to team morale and the morale of both qbs. Think it’s better to ride the hot hand for the moment. I also assume at some point that defences will have enough video of Zappe to the point where the difficulty starts to escalate, which I think would be great time to bring mac back.

On a non-patriots note, sad to see today that delanie walker has officially retired. I always thought he was a great all-round tight end and someone who could have done really well here if he ever came over to us.

Yeah, you have to see what you've got in Bailey when you have the opportunity without affecting Mac's confidence. You just tell him we want to make sure he's 100% recovered before you put him back in and say that Bailey is doing a good enough job to allow us to take our time with you. That way you get time to assess what you've got against a couple of good defenses and then it's make your mind up time with no damage done to either player.

Always liked Walker myself and always thought he was a BB type player.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xopher

Do you think when Jones is back and healthy, will Zappe have a chance of being starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hard to know, BB doesnt really do QB controversy. I'd be of the opinion that Zappe should be the starter till the bye - as mentioned above - and if he continues in the same streak as now it would be hard to pull him from the game. I've seen more flashes in the few games Zappe has played than I have from mac jones.

BB does do it. We had a young guy who hadn't done much outside of being a game manager and when Bledsoe came back from injury he was benched and the young man went on to become the GOAT but nobody could ever have guessed that when he first came in or even after his first two full years as a starter. There hasn't been an opportunity for a QB controversy since then.

That's what I mean. Similar situation with a much more established starter, and he made the decision to stick with the young guy - keeping bledsoe benched and cutting him after the season. I had high hopes for the last backup NE QB wearing number 4 though and that didnt work out well. I really think we could have something in zappe whereas i think, while Mac Jones will probably be a serviceable QB in the league, has a quite low ceiling. Kirk Cousins 2.0

• Advertisement

The one wrinkle with the Bledsoe/Brady transition is that bill had already told Kraft at the start of that season that he believed Brady had won the qb competition in training camp, and was only starting Bledsoe in a rare moment of deference to RK. I doubt he believes Zappe is the starter, so Mac might have a bit more leash. Still, be interesting to see if zappe can make it a really tough decision.

What Bailey has done to this point is pretty incredible. When Brady started off he averaged about 7 yards per attempt, when Mahomes started off he had a ridic first game where he averaged 14 yards per attempt but after that he averaged under 8 for quite a while.

Bailey is over 9 yards per attempt at this early stage. He has a higher QBR that either of them had through their first three games. There's a whole lot of positives and very few negatives.

It might light a fire under Mac's backside too which would be no harm because he knows if he doesn't perform that the bench is waiting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I don't think Belichek is every emotionally attached to anyone. if you make his team 1% better, he'll make the change

The Panthers being bad and now likely tanking is good news for the Patriots - we own their 3rd and 6th round picks next year.

I completely forgot about that. Haven't we a Rams pick as well? It might work out a lot better than expected.

Yep, just checked and we do have the Rams 4th. May yet be a much better pick than anticipated.

The Carolina pick was one we received so they could move up and draft Matt Corral. We dropped back, picked Zappe with their original pick and pocketed the 2023 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The silver pants are back tonight instead of navy on navy.

Mac back under center tonight with a fire lit under his backside. I'm hoping for big things.

This offense is taking shape quickly. Thornton breaking out last week, tight ends starting to look really good, Meyers, Parker and the double headed monster in the backfield back tonight. It's all about the QB and OL. Wynn inactive tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

That is horrendous by Jones. Picked up where he left off pre-injury. Calls for Zappe will get louder now.

• Advertisement

Yeah and he really should be put in after what we've seen so far.

Advertisement