Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Box weight on Ryanair

• 20-04-2022 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Is the Bike Box weight on Ryanair 20kg? Can't find the info on their website.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Max weight 30Kg for Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

Do they even check?

Loaned a friend my box recently and he loaded it up to well over that with gear, tools and other bits.

Of course, you don't think Ryanair will let anyone away with excess baggage weight for free...?

You may get away with a Kg or so over but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Have used Ryanair lots (pre-covid mind you) and allowed 30kg and always checked on outward flight anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Is it weighed at the normal baggage weight in or at the oversize baggage conveyer ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

I flew a bike from Gdansk (Ryan air) to Spain recently .. flew it as sports item.

I believe any one item shd not weigh more than Kg 30-32 or you have to fly them separately. My box was 34kg with a piano stand. Had to remove the stand (4 kg) and fly it as separate item

Flew same stuff out of Spain via KLM. Different wghts, dimensions regulations etc applied.

Dimensions they may not bother checking but weight will show. It is weighed there at check in then had to place them on over-size conveyor belt section

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In my experience it's checked in as normal and then you go to the oversize baggage area. As it's already checked in they don't seem too fussed about it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

some of the oversize baggage belts seem to be getting narrower. Flew back from Malaga a good few times without issue using a cardboard bike box. Last October it seemed quite tight. The box was 87cm high but the belt seemed only to be 90cm. And certainly stood upright it wouldn't have fitted. I believe Dublin airport may now be slightly narrower but haven't confirmed yet..

T1or T2?

• Advertisement

My bike box was 1420×190×860. Not sure how that translates into other metrics but it is a Big bugger of a box.

I didn't have the specs to hand when asked for specs on the phone so i googled up average specs and gave less than half those specs. That was KLM from Spain (but i had to upgrade my ticket to fly Biz class to get the extra storage (music instrument box also)

Ryan air flew same boxes to Spain (frm Poland, no bother)

As mentioned above, they get checked in and weighed normally - then you wheel them to the oversized conveyor belt section.

Not sure if related to above poster re conveyor belt size but on both occasions, i looked over and found both boxes already stood up and waiting for me at another carousel point so am not sure if they were simply driven there and taken off. I was surprised how quickly they appeared on both occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Looks to be a T2 issue so I’m grand 🤞

My bike box was much bigger than that on the Ryan air Gdansk to Valencia. Nary a bother.

They simply weighed it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Can you add a bike box for a return flight, after checking in for the first flight?

Hoping to buy a bike over the weekend in the uk. Well, its bought just have to bring it back and may have issues getting it to airport due to box size.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Yes. I'm flying with work next week so they booked the tickets ((Ryanair). I was able to add the bike to each flight myself afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Depending on ticket prices it's worth checking if booking a new ticket from scratch would be cheaper. I've had that once or twice when adding baggage after initial booking due to the increase in cost of baggage when not booked when first buying the ticket.

Isn't sports equipment a set fee though? €60 or €75 at the airport if not added

• Advertisement

Sorted. Thanks

Advertisement