Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2022-Round 18 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX 2022

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

What a weird way to be declared world champion....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not hard on Leclerc at all. He went off the track and gained an advantage so tough luck. If he wanted to keep 2nd place he should have stayed on the track.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Congratulations to Max on becoming a Two time World Champion. Well deserved. I can see him going on to win at least 6 more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just watched on ch4, it felt like i make a cup of coffee drank it race was over , (now i know not the same who watch on it sky with delays), what away to become a world champion, seems such a anti climax for Max, but who so deserved to be world champion, well done to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Latifi actually had a very good race today. Probably his best performance in a long, long time.

Vettel also did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He'll never surpass Michael Schumacher and that other foot note. 5 at most I reckon.

Ms

I think he and Red Bull will surpass them both and I would have no problem with that if he did. Better to have Max with 8 or 10 WDCs than crybaby Hamilton.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Cannot see now Leclerc ever winning a championship for Ferrari even with a good car, he is not great under pressure ,i know it early days for him but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Anyone know who performed the monoglogue at the end of the Channel 4 highlights package. Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah disagree there, think hes well able for it, hopefully the mercs get up their next year, make it a three team battle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Interesting stat, I was a groomsman with him a few years back over here in Vancouver. He is a top lad.

As for Max, mad way to win the championship, but he deserved it after this season so far. Top dog in F1 right now.

Ms

Awe that's why I could not find him. I heard David Alwood.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

If Bernie was still in charge he would have made sure it was half points so Max didn't get the championship this weekend.

It's been such a anti-climax. Kind of ruined it for Max & Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Wdc is over since the summer break, if max gets champion today or next week who cares. Was purely hypothetical already with Max no points in the last races and Leclerc winning all with fastest lap every time.

Decent race worth the wait with people not knowing the rules confusing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Sky kept saying it wouldn't be full points which just confused people rather then actually checking rules

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Every broadcaster and the teams all thought the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

To be fair it wasn’t just Sky, seems several different language broadcasts and the teams thought the same thing!

But the world F1 feed was obviously aware, they kept showing the ‘as it stands’ info with full points awarded - surely it would have been easy enough to inform broadcasters that full points will be awarded if we restart and finish the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yes but there's the whole fact that Bernie is a Hitler admirer... The sport is better off without that repulsive human being at the helm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Was watching on CH4 highlights and was funny in hindsight, that they kept saying the graphic on the screen is wrong and not to look at that. We have read the rules over and over and its half points.

They F1 Feed should have put an updated text on the screen saying " Don't listen to the broadcasters, these are the real points, we should know!!" or sent someone down to talk to them!!😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He cracked under pressure a few times this year. But he's still young and has shown that he's adaptable. He might have it in him to improve an become a bit tougher under pressure.

I certainly wouldn't write him off. Ferrari are a bit of a clown show. Terrible team given their resources and totally unfair advantages like the extra prize money off the top and a veto on rules. Hopefully Mercedes, mclaren or Appine can challenge Red Bull next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

Think Leclerc needs another race winning car to enter the fray alright. 24 races vs the Red Bull/Max, you’d probably need to win 10 minimum to be in with a shout - and himself and Ferrari make too many mistakes for that. If some other team can win a few races and bring the overall required points total down it might be better for his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭quokula

Was definitely a bit of an anti-climactic way to win the title with so much conflicting information and Johnny Herbert outright telling Max he hadn't won the title in the post race interview even though he had. Hopefully that's the last time Herbert is ever given that job.

The race itself was good though, and Max really showed what a champion he is with the way he completely outclassed the entire field in extremely tricky conditions. It's a shame the FIA made such a mess of the delays though so the very first racing lap was already ready for inters. What a fascinating strategic race we could have had if they'd actually raced in the wet and had to make the call when to switch over a bit later. As it was the inters couldn't quite last the race distance but the race was also too short to really justify a pitstop - those that tried like Alonso just ended up back where they were.

Well deserved driver of the day for Vettel. He was easily driver of the day on Saturday too. Obviously he was the bravest driver to jump on inters first which gained a slew of places, but even after that his pace was also very good, as he stayed within 5 seconds of the much faster Mercedes in front for the entire race, and defended well and held off a faster Alpine too. Rain can be a leveller and you really see the most talented guys on the grid like Vettel show what they can do despite having the slowest car in the field, similar to how Max was able to run away with it at the front by a much wider margin than he would in the dry.

Another painful mistake for Leclerc. Honestly Perez didn't seem to be giving him that much trouble as he was faster but not where it mattered and never made a real overtaking attempt, Charles just threw it away on his own ultimately. Not that it matters that much as the championship was a foregone conclusion, but it's just another in a litany of mistakes from him and his team that all add up. I expect Charles will learn and grow from this, but it must surely be time for Binotto to go now that the championship result is settled, he's been an absolute disaster of a team principal from day one making bad decision after bad decision since taking up the role. Yes, they developed a good car under him, but they bloody well should have given that they sacrificed the previous two years and invested vastly more resources in this year's car than RB or Mercedes who were busy winning races and titles while Ferrari were nowhere in those seasons. And after all that pain they once again have nothing to show for it.

Is this the start / continuation of a Verstappen / Red Bull era? I don't know. Max is certainly the class of the field like no other driver since Schumacher, that is beyond question. But you have to have the machinery to stay at the top. And Ferrari did have the faster car this year, they just failed to use it. While Mercedes still have the FIA on a leash and they've got the ride height changes they demanded for next year which should make their car a lot more competitive. The field spread is also much smaller than it was in the hybrid era, with the aero concept being so new that there will no doubt be major gains with next year's cars that could see a significant change in the competitive order. Cost caps mean other teams might have the opportunity to break into the top 3 if they find an innovation. Then of course we're only a short few years away from the next generation of engines and a new formula with a new reset (and a new challenger in Audi)

So it's a significantly more challenging landscape than anything we've seen recently, so it would be a very tall order for Max to achieve record breaking stats. He certainly has it in him if things fall his way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

John Malone (Liberty) has simular tendencies tho. He is the reason CNN turned in to Fox light

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

I disagree Binotto didnt do it wrong. They should just learn from RB. Ferrari needs peace and calmness they arguably have become a cursed brand since Shumii left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭quokula

They were moving in the right trajectory for a few years under Arrivabene but replacing him with Binotto killed that. They definitely have a history of being too cutthroat and dumping team principals too soon, but for once it would really be justified to replace Binotto with someone more capable.

Although you do mention cursed, they certainly hit massive setbacks around that time with the death of Marchionne and the loss of their tech director James Allison a year earlier to Mercedes as a result of him needing to move back to the UK to be with his children after his wife died of cancer. Who knows where they could have been a few years ago without those events, they probably never would have ended up elevating Binotto beyond his competence in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ocon was superb yesterday keeping a hard challenging Hamilton behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement