Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I mean, they're gonna keep doing it until people stop buying them. It must make money, they wouldn't do it otherwise. I have zero intentions of buying TLOU again. Plenty like me. Let the fools waste their money on a "remade" modern game. I'll wait for these to come out on PS+/GP. And then, maybe, play them again. But it would want to be a fantastic game to make me play it more than once, and while I thoroughly enjoyed HZD, I couldn't play it a second time.

However, in FAR MORE IMPORTANT NEWS... Crystal Dynamics is sending out surveys (or you can just complete as some sites are giving the link) regarding Legacy of Kain. Something is happening. Questions range from would you prefer a reboot/remake/remaster, a new story or continuation, what your favourite parts were, what you liked about it, etc. I obviously completed it and basically asked for a Bluepoint-style remake, keep the original audio, expand the world but keep the story the same.

Just don't fuk it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Goddamn I have awesome childhood memories of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I actually think a horizon zero dawn tv show could be good .

That one I don't have many memories of, other than what it looked like. Soul Reaver was my first introduction to it, so I found it difficult going backwards. But from then on, I was hooked. Very few games have come close to the level of sheer brilliance that is this series (in my humble opinion). The voice acting is the best I've experienced in any game/series yet. Some recent games coming close, but LoK wins out because it's a setting I'm far more interested in. I've been pining for a remake but literally a Bluepoint/Toys4Bob style remake. Nothing about the story, characters, music and especially the voice acting needs to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It seems to be set in the very near future/present so they can cheap out on sets and skimp on the giant robots.

It's going to be cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Didn't they say it was set in two time periods? Considering how important the backstory is in that game this seems like a sensible approach to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it was revealed the show was going to be called Horizon 2074, indicating that it's set in the year in the past.

Even then, I liked how the events of the past were dealt with in the game. We find out everything as Aloy finds out everything, and using the holograms to just show us the most important conversations. I'm not sure how much more of the past we really needed to see. It does feel like setting the show during those events will be done because it would be cheaper to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Have literally only just watched a 3 hour retrospective of this series a few days ago on youtube and forgot just how incredible the soundtrack was for Soul Reaver. The intro is one of the best bits of gaming cinematic history.

Any chance of a link to the surveys? I'd be definitely interested in seeing some of the thoughts on this. I don't know how well a remake would work, some of the gameplay is definitely a legacy of it's time, but a new entry in the story would be incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CD Project Red - Strategy Update

- Revamped the internal structure of the studios, focusing on building healthy, strong teams, while also introducing Agile ways of working to optimize the development process.

- Partnership with Epic Games to use Unreal Engine for future projects.

- Opening new studios in North America, in Vancouver and Boston.

- Licensing out non-core products, while opening to mobile gaming.

- Looking to introduce multiplayer features into the single player games.

- Expanding into TV & Film.

Witcher:

- The Witcher 3 next generation's upgrade still dated for this year.

- New game by Molasses By The Flood named Project Sirius, 60+ people working on it, still on pre-production, will contain multiplayer.

- Project Polaris, the first part of a new Witcher trilogy developed in-house by CDPR, 150+ people involved, aiming to release every game of the trilogy within 6 years of the first game's launch. Still on pre-production, working on creating tools to streamline development of the entire trilogy.

- Project Canis Majoris, single player open world RPG developed by a 3rd party studio of ex-Witcher veterans.

Cyberpunk:

- Project Orion, fully fledged sequel to Cyberpunk 2077, developed by CD Projekt Red America, both the Vancouver and Boston studios.

- Phantom Liberty, expansion to Cyberpunk 2077, on the final production phase, 350+ devs working on it right now.

New IP:

- Codenamed 'Project Hadar', currently on the conceptual phase, developed 100% internally.

Herman Hulst - PlayStation GAAS to release day and date on PC, SP games "at least one year" after console release

• Advertisement

Ugh, shoehorning in MP to SP games... It never really does well. And CDPR have some making up to do. I hope they don't ruin the Witcher franchise. Not too bothered by Cyberpunk.

It's only to fill out at the moment, don't imagine we'll see results, as interesting as they would be!

Tbh, the link seems dodge, but it's reported by a hape of sites so must be real?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

New Need for Speed game to be revealed at 4 PM (our time) tomorrow.

Back when publishers were attempting to fight off used sales by upping retention there were a good few traditionally SP games and franchises that added a MP that did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Thinking back to that particular 2009-2012 era, Mass Effect is probably the only game I can think of where bolting a MP onto a SP game actually worked. I suppose it depends on how you define doing well though, also the high-profile failures like BioShock 2 and Dead Space 2 are more memorable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ones that became popular were the exception to the rules. The vast majority felt like a total waste of development time and talent. Imagine putting all that work into a multiplayer component that would be dead within a month.

As said Bioware's games.

Assassins creed's starting out with Brotherhood.

The Naughty dog Uncharted/Last of Us games, starting with UC2. The later copycat Tomb Raider games.

Those would be fully traditionally SP, but then depends on how you define bolted on. What's bolted on vs what's a natural direction to take the game.

Would GTA count, never had it before but starting with the PSP and then 4 it exploded. A bunch of sandbox games adding it, and coop to traditionally single player puzzle games.

I think XBox Live/PSN and the introduction of Peer2Peer servers was what killed those games. On PC in the 90's pretty much every shooter had a multiplayer mode and there were always some dedicated fans hosting dedicated servers so you could always find a match even in the oldest most obscure games.

Once P2P came about there was a certain threshold that had to be maintained so there was a viable length of time to wait for a game. It was great for popular games, you would always get a game of CoD and Halo and although the pings and latency were almost always shocking the devs didn't care as they saved money on servers. But for smaller games once that player threshold dropped it would totally kill the game as once finding a game gets hard you hemorrhage players and the game dies in a self fulfilling prophesy.

I think Ubisoft kept dedicated servers for their games as did Sony for some of them, although it did mean once support was pulled the games died with them.

If its full of micro-transactions, it will be known as Need for Greed 😄

Seems like they're going hard with the anime theme, cars will apparantly be realistic but with an anime sheen and no doubt floaty add-ons. Might actually be good, but depends on the cars again. Heat was fun to a point where the super/hyper cars started to come in. You could still tune your racer up to compete but it got a bit too fast for me, and was only going to get faster. I don't know how Underground and Most Wanted did it back in the day, but the speed wasn't as fast but felt more realistic.

And I still think putting MP into traditional SP games rarely works out, as noted the few exceptions above, but even then I wasn't into it. And I'm getting older so I prefer a more relaxed, story time experience. Just like people telling me there's a story in Elden Ring. Sounds like there's lore, but a story is a stretch. Each to their own and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some leaked images of the new NFS Unbound. Not a big fan of the anime characters and effects but loving the looks of the street cars. Like potential said above, the super/hyper cars always ruin the fun. They get introduced too quick and races became lightning blurs and boring drifting when you tap brake. With the street cars, it was fast but fun. Customisation looks great as well. I haven't enjoyed an NFS in years, would be happy if this turned out good but not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems Marios face in the movie has leaked ahead of the trailer at this weekends NYCC.

Need For Speed Unbound out on the 2nd of December.

Someone should tell them we already had Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Maybe they should call it Need for Speed Rebounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Refreshing to see a reveal trailer for something coming out in less than 2 months, I first assumed it was December 2023.

Hard to make any kind of judgement from the trailer, they're clearly trying to capture the feeling of NFS Underground, even most of the cars in the trailer are that old if not older. I like that they're doing something a bit unique with the art style, there hasn't been a decent non-sim racing game that's done anything interesting in quite a few years so I'm going to hope this one turns out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Chris Pratt playing Chris Pratt. Even a cockney made more of an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's a me, Star Lord Andy Dwyer Raptor guy Lego guy Mario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Valve have now reversed their decision to ban Chaos;Head Noah from Steam and will release tomorrow as origially expected.

Valve's content review team, the group that made the original decision, has re-examined CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and decided to reverse course and allow the game to ship on Steam, as is. We've also examined the process that led to the previous decision about CHAOS;HEAD NOAH, and made some changes to avoid situations like this in the future

This is the right decision, whatever can be said about unrated games getting banned from digital storefronts games that have passed local classification should be available.

Advertisement