Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks 3x06 - 'Hear All, Trust Nothing ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 29-09-2022 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 3x06 - 'Hear All, Trust Nothing ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Favourite episode of the season so far! The animation of DS9 was phenomenal and the cameos were a delight. Also I liked that it was a callback to one of my favourite episodes of DS9. Slow start this season, but the past two episodes have been top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭corkie

Continuity

This episode features the return of Admiral Les Buenamigo, who was introduced in the LD Season 3 premiere "Grounded".

This episode features the return to Deep Space 9, the first visit to the station since the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series finale "What You Leave Behind", and the return of the Karemma, who last appeared twenty-seven years ago in the episode "Starship Down".

Name drops included references to Jake Sisko, Miles O'Brien, and his mirror universe counterpart Smiley.

Legacy cameos of those who have remained in the years since, included Kira Nerys is still in command, Quark still running his bar, and Morn still being his number one customer.

Special guest stars

Enjoyable episode.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭eadrom

Wa-hay! I didn't know there was going to be "a DS9 episode" until Stark mentioned it the other day on the main ST:LD thread, so this was a nice surprise.

Seeing Quark and Kira bicker with each other again was great!

The station looked great.

Amazing that they can fit three good story threads into the runtime of these episodes but they do and I enjoyed all three. Particularly the trade deal with Quark and Kira taking part.

Great seeing DS9 again. This time-frame would be perfect for a more serious and dramatic animation series. Relatively inexpensive enough to be able to focus on less mainstream-friendly aspects of Trek, and just continue on from Nemesis or whatever it was that happened last.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Awe that was great! Just so much fun! And hearing Nana Visitor and Armin Shimermans voices! AND Mourn! and they remembered it's Colonel!

Fun but also relaxing and soothing a bit 🙂

AND THE FLYBY AT THE START!!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I just smiled ny way through that entire episode.

I was in awe of the pylons!

Why could Michael have been like Mariner.

Mariner is as head strong, insubordinate, "bossy", and know-all but she knows that it is too much at times and has grown, consistantly, from the first season. The original threads were full of (and I think that I was one) people groaning that they were doubling down on asshole characters always getting rewarded. This has been fantastic character development.

I know we have "Bold" Boimler, at the moment, but it kinda feels like his character is being left behind. Mariner has a relationship and aforementioned growth, Tendi is on the advanced training program and is coming to terms with herself, and Rutherford has that entire sub-plot about his implant growing for years now.

What has Boimler got? A duplicate doing better than him, in the path he wanted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A lot of good moments and callbacks to give everything a warm fuzzy nostalgic glow. And a lot of character progression focus, Mariner and her attempts to get along with people she may not like, Bold Boimler continues, Tendi opens up about uncomfortably Orion past. Little for Rutherford, but he had his time last episode. Some of the riffs on DS9 were right on target - 'Just keep circling...'

The basic storyline was fairly simple, which is fine as a mcguffin to get the DS9 setting and callbacks going. But it does seem a little lacking in ambition. And that seems to be a running theme of the season so far. No major battles, no ships being terraformed, infested by aliens etc. After the great set pieces of season 2, like the saving of the Archimedes or the rescue by the Titan, it all feels a little flat so far.

Ahh I don't know. It is a California class, afterall. I kinda felt that they were getting into too many big deal issues, last season. I prefer the character growth we are seeing here and really feel we are going to need this, when the Rutherford story ramps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Haven't really watched Lower Decks but made a point of watching this today. DS9 nostalgia fest. Loved it. Though Quark sounded a bit off with his voice I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,393 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah I thought that too about Quark's voice ... at first I thought they'd hired a different actor.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might have been a remote voice recording, instead of a sound isolated echo proof room they'd Shimermans' office and whatever mic they sent him.

Same for the rest of the guest, all sound a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭eadrom

They’re 20+ years older than the last time we really heard them in-character too though. While the characters themselves are only a handful of years.

That’ll make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You have to remember that a LOT of years have passed since DS9 wrapped. The actors are a lot older now.

Really good episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭Evade

He sounded off to me too, I think it was the lack of Ferengi teeth.

Good episode, nice to catch up with everything. I wonder if Bajor decided not to join the Federation after all or was it still in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I put it down to him (real life) been alot older. Like the way Picard sounds different.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I would agree it's down to the lack of prosthetics.

Fun episode, preferred last weeks but still enjoyed this one.

The Shax Kira banter was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,393 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah, fair point. I guess I registered it with Quark more because you don't see the aged character, but you remember the voice as it was.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Armin Shimerman confirmed on twitter today that he wore the teeth for the speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That was a great episode, slightly dodgy voices aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Makes sense, doing this wouldn't be all that different to recording ADR.

One tiny niggle, I think this would have been the perfect episode for a title card In Memory of Louise Fletcher and Camile Saviola.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was another excellent episode. I loved the running joke between Keira and Shax. Loved seeing DS9 again. Who voiced Keira and Quark?

Never-ending it was Armin and Nana they just sounded a bit different si I thought someone else did them but the answers are in the posts above.

Boimler winning at the Dabo lol.

The only think I seen wrong with it is that Cerritos should not have been effected by whatever the Karemma used to Disable DS9.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭pah

That opening! I was grinning from ear to ear 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The opening was perfect. I was laughing and tearing up all at the same time.

That Orion guy struck me as a total dig at Worf. Someone on this forum commented that Worf reminded him/her of an American-Irish person with over the top republican tendencies which was basically the Orion character.

Kira sounded a bit off to me as well as Quark but I guess it's the animated visuals affecting my perception of their voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Well, that was absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, that was fun. Thought that Quark's voice was off for quite a bit (In that I thought it was someone else much of the time). I don't know if Shimmerman has done much voice-acting but it is a totally different beast. It's one of the big problems I had with Marvel's "What If?..." series. Some actors just didn't know how to voice act. Johansson was pretty bad, Bosman was pretty good and Honshu was actually pretty hilarious and great. Nana Visitor was very good. Without looking it up on IMDb, I'd say she has VO experience (Look up "I know that voice" for a cool doc on voice acting).

But the episode itself was fun. That "Juuuuust keep circling" gag was fantastic. (And was great to hear the music). Thought Tendi going all ultra-cool at the end was great.

Loved Mariner going around shooting up the place. I totally missed them mentioning Mariner was gay before this season but loved seeing her frustration at that "salon".... I think any one of us would have shot the place up. Hah. And I love this emerging running-gag about Boimler being this (oblivious) lady-killer.

And Morn..... 'nuff said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Armin Shimerman has done quite a bit of voice acting work, including some famous roles such as Andrew Ryan in Bioshock. He's completely unrecognisable in that role. I thought his first one or two lines sounded a bit off in Lower Decks, but the rest was consistent.

Mariner isn't gay, but rather she did explicitly state she was bi in a past season, with a line about how she liked "bad boys, bad girls..."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would have never thought Nana Visitor was almost 40 playing Kira and she certainly doesn't look 65 now.

"And Morn..... 'nuff said"

I'm amazed they had any time, for story, with the way he kept talking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah was thinking they must have shelled out a fortune to get the voice actor back for the role.

Advertisement