Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finishing up volume 4 of the Definitive Queen & Country collections. The first two volumes were really good, but sadly volume 3 was a bit of a let-down.

There's a bit of a narrative-flailing "where is this goin?" feel to Chace's character arc by this point, and the final story in it, Red Panda, reads like bad fanfiction - at first I thought I'd missed a story somehow as there's what feels like a spoiler in the opening intro/cast page, then I looked it up and it turns up that no, we're just going with "a truly ludicrous amount of plot has happened between stories and we'll catch you up as we go". Except some of it introduces dynamics between core characters that we've never seen before, and the plot relies on some straight-out-of-Eastenders soap-opera guff, and some far-too-obvious thematic callback stuff. It's more frustrating because the earlier stuff was much more deftly handled.

Volume 4 pulls it back a bit by shifting focus to other characters and their backgrounds, but tbh I think Rucka would've been better not using Chace as the sole protag from the start if he wanted to tell more ongoing stories in the setting.

I also read a graphic novel about the history of Pinball which was pretty interesting - accessible and readable, with an appealing art style, although I found that some of the visual attempts to describe what it feels like to play pinball kind of over-egged the pudding. But then I already like the game and don't need to be convinced of its merits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hey folks, can any of ye recommend some Doctro Fate comics graphic novels. I don't know much about him or the JSA and I want to do a bit of reading before i go to see Black Adam.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Y the last man...massively better than the TV show

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Got a chance to hit a decent comic shop recently so have been wading my way through my picks there.

Trades:

The Closet - this was a great, queasy horror read from James Tynion IV. I say "queasy" because it's psychological horror - no gore or immortal killers here, just a kid with night terrors and an absolute binfire of a father failing to do anything to help.

Phonogram volume 3 - I have read this on release and still have the singles, but for some reason forgot to get the trade (and also missed the omnibus that included the b-sides, so I'll be keeping the singles for the foreseeable). It's a nice excuse to see Kohl, Indie Dave, Kid With Knives etc again, but re-reading it after WicDiv I think its best insight is one that a secondary character has about knowing when to move forward to the next part of their life. Although the single-issue Scott Pilgrim homage is just phenomenal and justifies the price of entry alone (IMO).

Sink Volume 2 - I've written before about liking the horror work of John Lees; both Hotell and Sink are great (albeit quite different) settings, but there's a common sense of what horror can be about that makes both of them grear. Sink, in particular, plays with tonal shifts between horror and comedy, and does so with aplomb. Long may it last.

Glass City Volume 1 - an ambitious first volume of a longer-form sci-fi/noir story, the opening of this does a good job of setting a scene and then upending it. I enjoyed this, though I wish it had been longer as it felt like the story had just gotten going when I reached the end.

Still to read - Dept of Truth volume 3, Ice Cream Man volume 1 (I've already read up to vol 6 on digital), Delicates.

Small press:

Lang Walk Hame - a gloriously daft comic/poem about the trials of walking home from the pub and needing a wee, all written in what is described by the author as 'Scotswegian'. Exactly the sort of specific character and identity that makes indie and small press stuff great.

Dr. Acula & Space Plumber - a couple of 1-page gag comics, done really well and with really nice artwork.

Hidden Lives - An interesting anthology format using an almost flash-fiction approach, i.e. testing how short a story can be while still telling you something interesting about its protagonists. Some stories were stronger than others, as is often the case, but overall I enjoyed this and am glad I took a punt on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Finished what I thought was the collected Brass Sun but it turns out there's a couple more chapters. Does anyone know if these were ever published in a collected edition? T'internet not proving much help.

• Advertisement

There's a list of the stories that have been published in the series that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭JayRoc

JM DeMatteis did a well-received Dr Fate series in the late 80s. Wasn't my cup of tea though.

Tbh my introduction to the character and his backstory was the Grey Man arc in a few of the first ten issues of Justice League (International); I'd imagine you can find a trade paperback of them easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I also downloaded some JSA stuff... again, not too familiar with DC outside of the the big 3 and the flash...

Forbidden Planet in Glasgow, on Sauchiehall Street. There are a few comic shops in Glasgow alright but as an infrequent visitor I've found the FP there to be best for what I'm looking for (a good spread of indie and mainstream stuff, plenty of trades, and a decent showing of local small press and alternative comic). Although if it were closer I'd gladly make Little Shop of Heroes over in Dunfermline my local, they have been really good for online orders and are also a good match for my finicky tastes :D

My comment about "a decent comic shop" is mainly me being a bit mean about how Edinburgh has 2 comic shops (Forbidden Planet and Dead Head), but neither of them are very good, and definitely not by the standard of "comic shops in a capital city with a significant student population". The Forbidden Planet is one of those ones that seems more interested in selling Funkos than comics, and despite not being a small shop feels small because the management have crammed too many rows of shelves in. And all you need to know about Dead Head is that it was set up by someone allegd to be the inspiration for Bernard Black from Black Books....

• Advertisement

"The Forbidden Planet is one of those ones that seems more interested in selling Funkos than comics"

sounds like Dublin. They wouldn't know a back issue if it bit them on the arse :)

Read the lovely little Piero by Edmond Baudoin.

On now to Trees, Warren Ellis. Starting the collected vol I. had this on my radar for a long time but not sure it's going to do it for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finished Crossed Wish You Were Here and Badlands so took a break and finally read all of Sin City.

Now back to Crossed with Crossed + 100. Not a fan so far because they're doing the future thing of having changed the language. Beginning to follow it, but it just feels like more of a chore to read when trying to figure out what they're saying each time. Then having people's names as if they were celebrity baby names like Feature and Future. So having those kinds of names mixed in doesn't help in following it. Like they use the word "brown" instead of "s#!t" and use "skull" instead of "think" or "knew"

Read Trees, Warren Ellis, collected volume 1. Meh. Sometimes forget why it is exactly I rate him. Must go back and read Planetary again...

I liked Trees mainly for the art and the wider idea, but the stories themselves were definitely Minor Ellis, and as a series the whole thing pales when compared to Injection (which I really hope gets a conclusion at some point).

And crossed finally completely finished.

Moved onto Deadly Class. Was keeping up monthly but with the long breaks between some issues I lost track and gave up about issue 40 something. Now that it's finished, I'm starting from the beginning again.

Old, old school; reading Judge Dredd: the (collected) cursed earth.

Mad to think that they got away with that psycho Ronald McDonald v Burgerking stuff only a couple of years before McDonalds went nuclear with litigation, the McLibel case, etc.

Could have easily wiped out 2000AD and a whole chunk of the related British comics scene at the time.

Finished Deadly Class. Plan on watching the cancelled tv series son as well.

Started Die now. Only 20 issues so short enough.

Finding recent Spider-Man kind of annoying. With Peter, there are now 3 ongoing stories with Spiderverse, Darkweb and now Murderworld. I think Darkweb is the canon one since it takes place in the main Spidey and X-Men comics, but it doesn't make itself clear. I never bothered with the Murderworld one.

I know we have multiple X-Men and Batman comics as well but it just seems worse with Spider-Man.

Miles seems to have gone back to his old style costume in his new comic. Prefer it over the hoodie look.

But apart from the Spidey comics, I'm still keeping up with a number of weekly comics. Think only 1 or 2 other Marvel ones though.

Ooh, been a while since I posted about my reading (partly as I've not been reading a massive amount). I got a new 11.5" tablet and it's proving to be much better suited for reading digital comics, so I'm going to spend 2023 making a proper dent in my sizeable digital backlog.

But first, print! I read Brenna Thummler's Sheets a while back and liked it, so it's perhaps unsurprising that I also enjoyed Delicates, the sequel. The sequel builds on the first book's characters and setup, with a nuanced look at how bullying can affect people and how you don't have to be the bully in order to be part of a bigger problem...

I also read It's Lonely At The Centre Of The Earth by Zoe Thorogood, which is a fantastic slab of autobio comics about dealing with suicidal depression and a global pandemic. I really liked the way that a variety of different art styles are mixed in a way that meshes very naturally throughout, and the writing mixes humour with a fairly blunt and self-aware tone to good effect.

On the digital front, I read Dottie's Inferno (which I think was part of the Humanoids bundle a while back) and enjoyed it - the art style made for some fun hellish grotesques, and the humour is fairly consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Curious, what were you using before to read digital comics? Phone? I'd go blind :)

No, I can just about handle webcomics on my phone but for regular digital I'd find it infuriating. I have a fairly venerable 8" Dell tablet that's not really right for the job - 8" is still too small a screen to be comfortable, and to make it worse it's running Windows 8.1 so the options on comic-reading software for it that do touch input well are... limited. Can't complain about it too much though, while it was expensive enough it's still going 9 years on.

Actually, if anyone has any recs for Android comic readers I'd be happy to hear them :)

To be honest, I find Adobe Acrobat with PDF comics perfect. Just tap thumb right side to go to the next page, and vice versa for left.

Very easy to read comics lying flat on your back in bed with tablet held up with both hands and thumbs to navigate.

Other comic readers often require you to "swipe left" which is just too much effort compared to a tap :)

I forget the exact setting I use, I think it's the 1 page per screen view or something like that, rather than the continuous scroll view.

Quite a few of my (legit) digital comics are CBZ, but that's a thought - I'm so used to the desktop version of Acrobat being bloated I hadn't even thought of using it on Android :D I'll give it a go for the PDF ones, though ideally I'd like something where I can have a decent bookshelf view and manage my entire library easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I've been using Perfect Viewer on an android tablet to read cbz and cbr format.

The UI instructions are sparse, but it's very customisable to preferences like one tap to turn page, tap another area of screen to toggle between full page or 1/3 page view.

There's library function too, but I haven't really used that. I rely on having files in a single folder, and humble bundle file names allow me to sort A-Z and have them in reading order.

Curious, is there much difference between CBZ and PDF when looking at a tablet screen? I'd say there's a quality difference if looking on a large monitor alright, but is it more around file size?

It's usually around compression (more because PDF compression for images was pretty poor unless you accepted a loss of quality), but I noticed that e.g. Humble shifted to PDF for the last few bundles I've gotten after some pretty terrible quality on some of the CBZ files. Not sure if they were supplied by publishers or generated in-house.

I went from reading on a Nexus 7 to a Samsung Tab 10 so big improvement for me. I use Perfect Viewer as well. Handy using the volume buttons to navigate.

Currently reading Powers. Only about 6 issues in.

Reading some of these new DC comics as part of the Lazarus rain story and makes me think of the Terrigen cloud from Marvel.

• Advertisement

Read and enjoyed Tom Scioloi's Jack Kirby; epic life of the king of comics [graphic novel]. That, combined with the admittedly caustic view of the same period in Alan Moore's What we can know about Thunderman (the long novella in his Illuminations collection), is giving me a taste for a bit of golden and silver age comics goodness...

Advertisement