Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only 4% of houses with smart meters are on smart plans

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Obviously not but the less appliances that you have running in the middle of the night the less risk of them becoming problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Hi was initially referring to electrical appliances that produce heat, these are the appliances that burn the most juice.

The electric supply to a gas boiler is not being used to produce heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I had to do my research before signing off on a new contract. None of the main providers made it easy to find the actual October rates on their websites. Here’s what I found…

Based on October increases and incl. VAT

Bord Gais 48.33 less 10% 43.50

Electric Ireland 43.27 less 5.5% 40.89

Energia based on website 44.44 less 10% 40.00 but when talking to them via WhatsApp they quoted 43.60 inc discount and VAT 🫤

One Big Switch - above Bord Gais price but 33% discount 32.38.

@DC999 you did well getting that rate from energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Really the only time you know what rate your are on these days - is AFTER the bill has come thru the door. How many bills do you have in the last year with multiple rate rise changes in a single billing period?

im with EI and I cannot see what rate im on day to day. Their site is shocking tbh. How are people meant to understand how to save energy slash moeny with almost no info expect when they sign up. Also - you could be promised one thing on the phone or via a switcher site and end up 3 months later with a bill for a totally different rate.

No doubt we will NEVER see bills with mutliple or price drops in a billing period. WIll we ever even see a price drop in a single contract year? not likely - please correct me if anyone has ever seen anyone apply a discount to an existing contract (not renewal)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

Good point does any provider list your rate when you sign in to online account? I moved to energia from ei and I can't see anywhere on either providers webpage when i sign in where it displays current rate and discount. I can see old bills and other info but rate/discount should be mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 aleesi

To be honest, a lot of old saying seem to stick ... A tumble dryer is completely harmless and much safer than a fridge. Many people couldn't care less about charging the mobile phone in their bedside locker or bed overnight, but freakout if you talk about setting the dishwasher on a timer to use night rates...

As long as things are done the right way in your consumer unit (breakers size accordingly, RCD or RCBOs in place, earthing done correctly) leaving a A+ appliance running overnight is safer than a hair dryer or a kettle ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Agreed - recently there was another thread with this exact same conversation. Ultimately though it's about peace of mind. If someone doesn't feel comfortable leaving stuff on, that's fair enough - although I would at least ask them to challenge their assumptions, as the fridge is more likely to catch fire than a dish washer (statistically) - but yet, they are fine with the fridge on and won't use the dish washer. it's odd to me, but each to their own. Peace of mind is important too.

Sure putting the oven or a chip fryer on a timer, you'd want to be bonkers, but generally most modern well cared for devices are safe. Night rate also it 9 hrs, so for many they can put the timer on at 8am and have it run for an hour until 9am in summer using night rate. most of the energy usage on these things is at the start of the cycle where it's heating up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I had a look at this after post and in fact statically more home fires have been attributed to dishwashers than fridges. It doesn't negate your basic premise but just for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

For clarity.... It depends on when you look that fridge verses dish washer statistics :-) Most recent statistics I saw has fridges more.

fire-statistics-data-tables-fire0605-290922.xlsx (live.com)

The point is, is that they are roughly the same. You may have more one year in a box than another, but the same rough probability is there, and that is low. Very low. Same with washing machine. It's in about the same ball park as a fridge. If you have a well maintained machine, it should never catch fire. What happens is that people "notice a funny smell" and yet they will continue to use appliances. Nuts.

To go back on topic, about smart meters and and shifting load - people need to feel comfortable in their mind about moving stuff to night time. If they are not, then look at the edge hours (11pm - 12pm in winter) and (8am - 9am in summer) as times to do stuff like washing. You can set the timer the night before and have it come on as your eating breakfast. There is usually a good compromise/solution when you think about it and can keep peace of mind while taking advantage of lower rates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Anyone know why the EI site isn’t showing ‘projected usage’ ? I’ve emailed but getting no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

ELM327 who is this with & is this deal still available, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You do realise that post you replied to is a year old?

Rates have certainly changed a bit since.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,356 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That was a fixed term deal for 12 months and the post you replied to is so old that the tariff is not available, and my 12 month contract expired and I moved to Flogas for 30c day 13c night, which is also not available to new signups right now either.

Advertisement